GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ditch the Gamecube Nintendo (43% drop in profit)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/01/05 at 10:50
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
I know some of you will point out the fact that, in spite of the loss compared to last year's earnings, Nintendo has still accrued a profit to the tune of $600,000,000. While that is a large sum of money it needs to be realized that the amount of that profit is not too far from being HALF of their previous year's profits. That means that Nintendo has that much money LESS to put into things like research and development for things like new games and new systems. Also, game companies are less likely to put their time and money into a company that posts losses as massive as 43%. If this trend continues, it could have some nasty repercussions. People could lose their jobs (I feel sure some heads have already rolled after the news of a profit loss this significant), for one thing. And companies will not want to invest in another company that will not post a meaningful profit for their efforts. So yeah, Nintendo still posted a profit. But when that profit is in the shadow of a previous year that was 43% HIGHER, then the 'profit' tends to lose significance. Just some things to consider.

The Gamecube is costing Nintendo big and sagging sales are a large part of their problem, ditch the deadwood before it's to late.
Page:
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:57
Regular
I actually wonder if Macintosh and Topscore ever actually play games.

I'm yet to see them post anything but "NinTARd0 SU>
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:00
"period drama"
Tscore05 wrote:
> Why oh why did the DS not use the GC disc it's bigger, they already
> produce it and they could translate GC games much easier, cheaper for
> the developers, nintendo everyone.

Unit would be:

-bigger
-louder

With:

-less battery
-a seperate memory storage needed
-long loading times

In short: shut up.
And why would anyone be translating GC games?
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:14
Regular
Mini-DVD = Less chance of piracy = More revenue for Nintendo.

The mini-DVD isn't intended for movies, it's intended for data.

Sheesh, trying to explain things to people like you becomes a chore.
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:39
Regular
"and PC user"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Mini-DVD = Less chance of piracy = More revenue for Nintendo.
Mini (non-standard) DVD = less support from developers, more expensive production, less capacity resulting in developers having to comprismise their data in order to make it fit, some people wanted to be able to play DVD movies on a PSP early in its life why many people still didnt have a DVD player, or just had the one DVD player in one room. A bet some kids, somewhere still are using their PS2 for DVD movie playback.
>
> The mini-DVD isn't intended for movies, it's intended for data.
You know that, I know that, but it appears that at the launch of Cube, somone at Nintendo thought otherwise - why any would is beyond me.
>
> Sheesh, trying to explain things to people like you becomes a chore.
Likewise!
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I actually wonder if Macintosh and Topscore ever actually play games.

I doubt it, sounds more like they sit around bring each other off while flicking through the latest Official Playstation 2 Magazine.
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Macintosh wrote:
> A bet some kids, somewhere still are using their PS2 for DVD
> movie playback.

Considering how poor the dvd playback is, i doubt it.
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:42
"period drama"
The GC discs had no problems with developers, hardly any cost changes compared to DVD, and never any storage problems. When has any developer had to compromise to make stuff fit on a GC disc?
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:46
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Tscore05 wrote:
> Why oh why did the DS not use the GC disc it's bigger, they already
> produce it and they could translate GC games much easier, cheaper
> for
> the developers, nintendo everyone.
>
> Unit would be:
>
> -bigger (the psp is the same size as ds)
> -louder (minimal noise when disc is spining)
>
> With:
>
> -less battery (wow 4hrs not enough for you)
> -a seperate memory storage needed (and this is a disadvantage because)
> -long loading times (did not stop cd destroying cartridge on consoles)
>
> In short: shut up (i will when you talk sense)
> And why would anyone be translating GC games? (Good question they are rubbish)
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Tscore05 wrote:
> (the psp is the same size as ds)

Yer. And this is relevant because...

> (wow 4hrs not enough for you)

No. it isn't enough for anybody. 5 hour battery life killed the Gamegear. 4 hours renders the unit unportable in most cases

> memory storage (and this is a disadvantage because)

because you have to buy separate memory cards. no memory cards > memory cards, you moron. It also means 1 extra thing for you to carry around and one extra thing to get lost

> (did not stop cd destroying cartridge on
> consoles)

Yeah because home consoles are the same as portable ones.

I think you should crawl back into your hole now.
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:56
"period drama"
Dear Tscore86

If a drive running GC-discs was put in the DS, the unit would be bigger. When did the PSP come into things?

If a drive running GC-discs was put into the DS, it would be louder then the cart-system. And discs, spinning as they are, are more easily damaged than cards.

If a drive running GC-discs was put into the DS, it would have less battery time. Four hours isn't enough, no. Although why you said that, I don't know. Battery time would be less. This is a fact.

Seperate memory adds more expense and complexity, another drive meaning the unit would be more expensive. Don't really want that. And you'll keep on having to buy new ones.

Shorter loading times are actually a problem in handhelds. A big one - they are designed to be used on the move, by the way, which means you don't want to wait around very much.

No, really. The DS could never handle a GC game in full, so who would be translating it.

So, as I said and you helpfully backed up for me, the DS would be a much worse piece of kit with a drive running GC-discs put into it. This is a fact. Thanks for your support.

Hugs and Kisses,
Jerry
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.