GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ditch the Gamecube Nintendo (43% drop in profit)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/01/05 at 10:50
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
I know some of you will point out the fact that, in spite of the loss compared to last year's earnings, Nintendo has still accrued a profit to the tune of $600,000,000. While that is a large sum of money it needs to be realized that the amount of that profit is not too far from being HALF of their previous year's profits. That means that Nintendo has that much money LESS to put into things like research and development for things like new games and new systems. Also, game companies are less likely to put their time and money into a company that posts losses as massive as 43%. If this trend continues, it could have some nasty repercussions. People could lose their jobs (I feel sure some heads have already rolled after the news of a profit loss this significant), for one thing. And companies will not want to invest in another company that will not post a meaningful profit for their efforts. So yeah, Nintendo still posted a profit. But when that profit is in the shadow of a previous year that was 43% HIGHER, then the 'profit' tends to lose significance. Just some things to consider.

The Gamecube is costing Nintendo big and sagging sales are a large part of their problem, ditch the deadwood before it's to late.
Page:
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:26
Regular
Tscore05 wrote:
> I did say that the DS is yet another system that is not easy to
> program for and this is because of the limited cartridge space. 250
> games in development for PSP and why is that because the PSP UMD is
> allowing the developers to translate straight from console to
> handheld with more ease than 1st generation handhelds like the DS.

Are you going to buy 250 games then Tscore?

Besides there are like a thousand GBA games out there the DS can play right from the word go. So shut it with ya silly game amounts. 10% of the games confirmed won't get made, 40% will be terrible and a further 15% won't even get released in Europe.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:26
Regular
Tscore05 wrote:
> I did say that the DS is yet another system that is not easy to
> program for and this is because of the limited cartridge space.

Do you program games?
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:27
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Maybe the GC will claw its way back up again.
> Should do ... might do ...

Well it looked like it was in 2003, that was like a BIG year for Nintendo. Metroid, Zelda and Double Dash all sold over a million copies, third parties enjoyed much success and a price cut made Christmas 2003 a Christmas to remember.

But 2004 the Gamecube plumeted like a stone.

2005 has a far nicer software line up, almost as great as 2003's, so it should claw its way back, a little.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:29
Regular
"and PC user"
It's bad news for Nintendo. They have an image problem, and a hardware problem, and a software problem.

The N64 should have been CD based. The Cube should have been DVD based. The next system should use HD-DVD, but I bet it wont. The DS use a cart system, far too limited a technology to hold the kinda stuff modern games need.

To many retro games, like Mario. Dont make this out to be the "killer app", its plain to see that thats no longer the case.

The Cube and DS look too much like a cheap plastic toy. Needs to be more "grown up". Bright colours and a stylus give out the "Toys R us" image. Get a new product design team before its too late.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:29
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> The profit being 43% lower last year is not the same thing as the
> profit being 43% higher than this year, you know.

Hush!

He has to learn to work it out himself.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:30
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> The Cube and DS look too much like a cheap plastic toy. Needs to be
> more "grown up". Bright colours and a stylus give out the
> "Toys R us" image. Get a new product design team before its
> too late.

I like bright colours. They're more fun.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:31
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> The N64 should have been CD based. The Cube should have been DVD
> based.

!"£$%^&*

It is DVD based you mong, It's called mini-DVD, which CAN BE USED IN ANY DVD PLAYER.

Jesus christ, I've explained this to you about 11 times already.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:34
Regular
Macintosh wrote:

> The N64 should have been CD based. The Cube should have been DVD
> based. The next system should use HD-DVD, but I bet it wont. The DS
> use a cart system, far too limited a technology to hold the kinda
> stuff modern games need.

The DS is card based, Nintendo'll probably use it's own form of high definition DVD and the Cube does use DVD.

> To many retro games, like Mario. Dont make this out to be the
> "killer app", its plain to see that thats no longer the
> case.

Mario games sell over a million, Smash Brothers is Nintendo's biggest selling Gamecube game. Mario Kart caused a massive surge in Nintendo hardware.

> The Cube and DS look too much like a cheap plastic toy. Needs to be
> more "grown up". Bright colours and a stylus give out the
> "Toys R us" image. Get a new product design team before its
> too late.

The DS looks great, it may feel plastically but it does look really cool. I'll give you the Gamecube does look a bit toy like. But the GBA SP and the DS look fine.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:34
Regular
Yeah, and everyone has a CD and DVD player anyway.

He just uses these naive and stupid arguments all the time because he knows nothing else.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:36
"period drama"
Macintosh wrote:
The DS
> use a cart system, far too limited a technology to hold the kinda
> stuff modern games need.

Hahaha. Good one.

Why would you use anything but a cart (which it isn't, anyway) for a handheld?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.