GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ditch the Gamecube Nintendo (43% drop in profit)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/01/05 at 10:50
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
I know some of you will point out the fact that, in spite of the loss compared to last year's earnings, Nintendo has still accrued a profit to the tune of $600,000,000. While that is a large sum of money it needs to be realized that the amount of that profit is not too far from being HALF of their previous year's profits. That means that Nintendo has that much money LESS to put into things like research and development for things like new games and new systems. Also, game companies are less likely to put their time and money into a company that posts losses as massive as 43%. If this trend continues, it could have some nasty repercussions. People could lose their jobs (I feel sure some heads have already rolled after the news of a profit loss this significant), for one thing. And companies will not want to invest in another company that will not post a meaningful profit for their efforts. So yeah, Nintendo still posted a profit. But when that profit is in the shadow of a previous year that was 43% HIGHER, then the 'profit' tends to lose significance. Just some things to consider.

The Gamecube is costing Nintendo big and sagging sales are a large part of their problem, ditch the deadwood before it's to late.
Page:
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:37
Regular
Both of their arguements are laughable.

"PSP is simple to program"
"PSP games are better because of the UMD, bigger disk space=better games"

Thu 27/01/05 at 15:41
"period drama"
You're hardly going to run out of space on a DS cart.
And with practically no loading times and saving straight to the card, why use anything else for a handheld?
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:41
Regular
Also drains less battery.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:43
Regular
"and PC user"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> The N64 should have been CD based. The Cube should have been DVD
> based.
>
> !"£$%^&*
>
> It is DVD based you mong, It's called mini-DVD, which CAN BE USED IN
> ANY DVD PLAYER.
>
> Jesus christ, I've explained this to you about 11 times already.

mini-DVD, ahh the format Nintendo thought would be used for holding movies, when everyone knows DVD movies wont fit on those lower capacity discs, without the aid of more severe graphic & audio compression which defeats the object of moving away from tape. Not only that, but call it whatever you want, the smaller disc from Nintendo holds a lot less data full stop. That doesnt just mean problems in getting movies onto them, but also that game developers who usually make stuff for DVD have to remove/reduce content, and/or re-code in order to stand any chance of fitting their ported games on gamecube discs. Thats why a lot of stuff that is "multiformat", is released last on GameCube. Plus the Nintendo disc needs a different size cutter, and printing setup - extra production costs.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:48
Regular
"and PC user"
Mav wrote:
> Yeah, and everyone has a CD and DVD player anyway.
>
> He just uses these naive and stupid arguments all the time because he
> knows nothing else.

Then why is Nintendo not leading the market, and why are we all not looking at films made on Nintendo "mini-DVD". Ever seen a high quality audio only Nintendo type disc used for music? No, I wonder why!
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:50
Regular
The reason why multi-format games are released last on Gamecube is due to 3 reasons:

. Temp exclusivity to Sony or Microsoft
. The fact Nintendo take an extra week to produce third party games
. Online support needs replacing with something different for the Gamecube.

Nintendo never thought mini-DVD's would play movies. The fact is there is a Gamecube out there that plays DVD's anyway, Nintendo didn't mass market it in fear of piracy.

You are the biggest idiot in the word Macintosh, no body here cares if Nintendo make a good profit or a great profit or a relativly great profit. We don't care. We don't care if Playstation games use bigger capacity. We don't care that the playstation plays DVD's.

You see we're gamers, we aren't stupid, just because a game can hold more things doesn't mean it is better, just because a console can play DVD's does not mean the games are great.

We are Nintendo fans, Nintendo have been "losing" the war for a good 9 years, we are aware Nintendo's profits aren't as great as they once were. Although they are still good and solid.

As Nintendo fans we play Nintendo games. Nintendo games are our favourite games. You are not gonna persuade any of us that playing GTA or a cool looking console or a console that can play DVD's are better than Nintendo's systems.

Because Sony can do everything right, own the rights to every game, play free movies from the box, brush your teeth and look like sex on legs.

It just doesn't play Nintendo games.

Therefore Nintendo still wins in our eyes.

So go and cry about Nintendo not selling as well as they used to elsewhere.
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
The real question do Nintendo actually know anything about the gaming industry because from what I can see the decisions they have made over the last decade are amature to say the least.

Why oh why did the DS not use the GC disc it's bigger, they already produce it and they could translate GC games much easier, cheaper for the developers, nintendo everyone.
Regular
I'd so love to hulk up and smash these nerds.
Regular
Macintosh wrote:

>
> Then why is Nintendo not leading the market, and why are we all not
> looking at films made on Nintendo "mini-DVD".

A: It is Panasonic's DVD player.
B: It was never intended to play movies.
C: There is a Gamecube-DVD player.
D: We really don't care.
Thu 27/01/05 at 15:51
Regular
Tscore05 wrote:

DS not use the GC disc it's bigger, they already
> produce it and they could translate GC games much easier, cheaper for
> the developers, nintendo everyone.

Battery life.

I still don't care.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.