GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Def jam : Fight for NY"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Def Jam: Fight for NY'.
Fri 28/01/05 at 15:18
Regular
Picked this up the other day for £15.

Tis really excellent. Wasn't sure if I'd like the series now that they've taken it away from WWF No mercy style fighting but I gotta say they've done a really good job.

It's got all the fight options that the first game was missing and then some. Tis excellent smashing your rivals into speakers, especially when that rival is that tw@t Sean Paul.

Anyway, really good game that I definetly recommend.

"I iz off to buy me guy nuff bling bling and bone Carman Electra in ma souped up Beamer, props to all da real G's out dere, holla!"

*ahem*
Sun 30/01/05 at 23:49
Regular
Just completed the game.

Best single player fighting game evah!!11!¬

Still got a load of characters to unlock and also intend on making a few more custom characters and playing through with them.

My next dudes gonna be a massive fat black guy called Bulla.
Sat 29/01/05 at 16:53
Regular
Well I can find it for £18 no problem.

Hmmmm, might need to finish my latest crop of titles first.
Sat 29/01/05 at 13:11
Regular
"8==="
Picked it up for just over that 2nd hand.

Most places have it as 20 new.
Sat 29/01/05 at 13:02
Regular
I might pick it up, it's what, £15 now?
Sat 29/01/05 at 10:02
Regular
"8==="
Cheers for the info. I think I'll pick this up today since WM21's about 2 months away. Definately up for designing a few characters and taking them through the story mode one by one.
Sat 29/01/05 at 09:50
Regular
There's a large variety of weapons, it's very much reliant on where you fighting as to which weapons you get. For example in the 'Chop Shop' which is a kind of a car customisation place you get spanners and brooms to smash around your opponents skulls.

It's not really a wrestling game anymore though. You can use wrestling moves that are lifted straight out of No Mercy, but it's also going for more of a straight forward beat the crap out of your opponent fighting game (having said that though it's nothing like Soul Calibur 2 or games of its type). Some of the most powerful moves are done by using the scenery around you, slamming your opponent into walls, stage lights, coke machines, members of the crowd who then help you do a double team move and god knows what else you can find.

The 'Blazing moves' as they call them, or specials as they were in the Wrestling games are freaking awesome and totally over the top these days. Now that they're not cornholed by what goes in wrestling, they've really let loose with some of the most lethal and over the top moves you're likely to find this side of a finishing move in Mortal Combat.

I wasn't totally sure when I first got the game if I'd like the way they taken the game, away from wrestling and more into the realm of a free for all street fight. But I'm now happy to say that Aki have done an excellent job and it's 10 times the game that Vendetta was. The more violent and bloodthirsty nature of the game really suits the license a lot better than wrestling and the single player is all the better for it.
Sat 29/01/05 at 01:47
Regular
"8==="
I know in WM21 there's a diverse array of weapons beyond the standard selection that's expected.

Couldn't speak for Def Jam, probably a review will mention it. I know from the demo that it looks like there's other damage you can do (in the demo you fight in a burning building, I think you can damage your opponent with the fire.

Only played the demo once mind you.
Sat 29/01/05 at 01:28
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> The first one was a lot like No Mercy, but a lot faster and they
> didn't sat down on the ground long enough to line up some tactical
> moves, even after the were half dead they got up very quickly.
>
> Hopefully this time you can knock them down long enough to strategise
> a little bit.

And I hope there is some weapons too.

Oh how I missed the days I used to go round my friends at lunch time to play No Mercy.

Those truly were "the days".
Sat 29/01/05 at 01:02
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
>
> No Mercy is like the greatest wrestling game ever.

Yep. WM21 is heavily influenced by it and it shows. Whether it'll beat it is another thing but it is looking good.
Sat 29/01/05 at 01:01
Regular
"8==="
The first one was a lot like No Mercy, but a lot faster and they didn't sat down on the ground long enough to line up some tactical moves, even after the were half dead they got up very quickly.

Hopefully this time you can knock them down long enough to strategise a little bit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.