GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bittorent"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/08/04 at 15:23
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I have a Zoom X4 ADSL Modem/Router and ADSL (obviously). Windows Firewall is off and I have Zone Alarm on, with full access for the program.

On Bittornado (about the same as bittorent) I have only 4KB speed downloading with 15 peers connected to 16 seeds. The light in the corner of the program window is yellow.

Any ideas how to speed things up?
Sun 08/08/04 at 19:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
To sum up: Using Zone Alarm is just an advertisement for your own ignorance of what a firewall actually is.
Mon 09/08/04 at 13:11
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Blocking individual programs from accessing the Internet is a utterly
> bizarre concept, and I have no idea why Zone Alarm even considered it
> in the first place.

If nothing else it helps you to ensure that there are no malevelent programs on your system trying to access the internet...

From spyware to viruses (e.g. Beagle) to pretty much anything written by Microsoft.
Mon 09/08/04 at 13:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
b.t.w Stranger In Paradise have you updated to the latest version of ZoneAlarm... A lot of people were having trouble using BitTorent/BitTornado from the version 5+ upgrade. Though I understand their latest patch gixes the problem
Mon 09/08/04 at 18:31
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hugo Rune-Shanks wrote:
> From spyware to viruses (e.g. Beagle) to pretty much anything written
> by Microsoft.

You've missed the point, firewalls aren't designed to stop things getting out, they're designed to stop things getting in. Should you install a trojan by accident, what threat can it pose if nothing can make connections to it? How are you going to install Beagle/Sasser/any other worm without the available ports?
Mon 09/08/04 at 18:53
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Well I've tried uninstalling Zone Alarm and letting the Windows Firewall run for a bit, on the Shields Up website it made no difference - results were the same as when I had Zone Alarm on.
Mon 09/08/04 at 21:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I bet you had less alerts and annoying problems though.
Tue 10/08/04 at 12:04
Regular
"relocated"
I use Azureus, which is significantly more user-friendly, stable and configurable than any other client. It allows you to specify the ports you use (as do most clients) so you can make sure that you're actually trying to forward the right ports. One other thing to check is whether you're specifying the right type of connection when you forward your ports (TCP or UDP) and that you're forwarding them to the right place. Just as an example I have ports 6881..6889 forwarded to 192.168.0.3 (the address of my PC on the network, not the address given by your ISP - type 'ipconfig' at the command line to find this out) using TCP.
Tue 10/08/04 at 12:34
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I bet you had less alerts and annoying problems though.

More actually, 'cause everytime I've used something that uses the internet the firewall blocks it off, so I have to exit the game, allow it, then start the game, then repeat everyime a new exe wants to do likewise. I don't see any real difference to be honest.
Tue 10/08/04 at 14:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
"then start the game, then repeat everyime a new exe wants to do likewise"

What you are referring to is ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm blocks processes because it's gimmicky excrement, whereas XP firewall blocks ports, because the people who wrote it actually have an idea of what a firewall should do.
Tue 10/08/04 at 19:32
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Okay, thanks, next time I want a large game demo I'll stick with Fileplanet, would have used FP this time except for some reasons beknown only to them my membership stopped working for three days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.