GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bittorent"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/08/04 at 15:23
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I have a Zoom X4 ADSL Modem/Router and ADSL (obviously). Windows Firewall is off and I have Zone Alarm on, with full access for the program.

On Bittornado (about the same as bittorent) I have only 4KB speed downloading with 15 peers connected to 16 seeds. The light in the corner of the program window is yellow.

Any ideas how to speed things up?
Fri 06/08/04 at 11:29
Regular
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> I tried opening them up using the virtual server config on the router
> (this is how you open ports on it) but it makes you give your IP to
> set them up....and I have dynamic IP.

If it's like mine, then it's asking for your local IP (e.g. 192.168.0.3) and not your internet IP.
Fri 06/08/04 at 19:47
Regular
"Freeola Support"
With the Router it is best to set a static ip address if you want this, with this type of Router set something on your PC like 10.0.0.12 with the subnet 255.0.0.0 (may be different check the router first) and 10.0.0.2 as the DNS Servers.
Fri 06/08/04 at 23:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Damarus wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> BT is determined by how much you upload as well.
>
> I can get 90+ KB download when my upload is only at 10KB.

Probably a lot of seeds. I can get 120K with only 1 or 2 K upload as the whole torrent is just seeds with just a couple of peers.

If you do mess around with the upload on a slow torrent it does make a difference.
Sat 07/08/04 at 19:53
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hmmm.. Have you turned off the XP firewall? I had the same problem... Go to network connections then click on your connection. Then go to Properties, and finally Advanced. Should be an option there to turn off the default firewall.

Also - get ABC as a client. Much, much better.

I get speeds of downloads around 50Kbps, and uploads around 20Kbps.

Whatcha gotta do is limit the uploads to (512 connection) 200Kbps, and the number of peers connected to 4. That way it doesn't overload your connection, giving you a faster download rate.

I personally just turn off all my firewalls. Can't be bothered with the whole security thing...

But yeah. That should do it, but if you have a router then your screwed, most of the time.

Are there firewall-free routers?!? I want to get one so we can connect the two computers (PC and Laptop) in my house, but I won't get one with a firewall, because I download 24/7...
Sun 08/08/04 at 00:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Don't turn off the Windows firewall! It's the only firewall that's any good. Just forward the necessary ports (in SP1 or later).
Sun 08/08/04 at 10:14
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Don't turn off the Windows firewall! It's the only firewall that's any
> good. Just forward the necessary ports (in SP1 or later).

I use Zone Alarm so I don't need the Windows Firewall - Zone Alarm is much more configurable.

I've actually finished my download, though by sheer persistence - 1.5GB at speeds of 2-30KB over THREE days. Thanks for all the info, I tried some of it but I still get the yellow icon, so I give up! I don't download stuff on Bittorrent much at all so I'll look into it more if I ever want something in the future.
Sun 08/08/04 at 10:32
Regular
"Freeola Support"
I don't think you can, Routers act as a gateway and so normally will include a bog standard NAPT or NAT
Sun 08/08/04 at 13:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The key thing you need to do is forward all the necessary ports on your router and Windows firewall. However all that is secondary to the really, really important object, which is uninstalling Zone Alarm.
Sun 08/08/04 at 17:54
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Why uninstall Zone Alarm? From my brief use of the Firewall on SP2 I much prefer Zone Alarm (which asks before it blocks programs) than Windows Firewall which just blocks stuff straight away and forces you to manuall unblock.
Sun 08/08/04 at 19:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Blocking individual programs from accessing the Internet is a utterly bizarre concept, and I have no idea why Zone Alarm even considered it in the first place. The point of a firewall is not to stop things getting out, but to prevent things from getting in. This doesn't include popping up warnings about every single ICMP ECHO and portscan you receive. To be honest it doesn't even do that good a job of masking your computer from the Internet. The best kinds of firewalls are the ones that globally close all external ports without prejudice, and only open ones which you specifically allow. Like.. the Windows firewall, for example.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.