GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bittorent"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/08/04 at 15:23
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I have a Zoom X4 ADSL Modem/Router and ADSL (obviously). Windows Firewall is off and I have Zone Alarm on, with full access for the program.

On Bittornado (about the same as bittorent) I have only 4KB speed downloading with 15 peers connected to 16 seeds. The light in the corner of the program window is yellow.

Any ideas how to speed things up?
Thu 05/08/04 at 15:23
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I have a Zoom X4 ADSL Modem/Router and ADSL (obviously). Windows Firewall is off and I have Zone Alarm on, with full access for the program.

On Bittornado (about the same as bittorent) I have only 4KB speed downloading with 15 peers connected to 16 seeds. The light in the corner of the program window is yellow.

Any ideas how to speed things up?
Thu 05/08/04 at 15:31
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Are you forwarding the relevant ports to the PC on the network? Using emule/BT, I can set my PC to be in the "Demilitarized zone", which in theory opens it up to the internet, but it'll still be poor. Forwarding the individual ports I use on the other hand just makes thing ridiculously fast. 6881 upwards I believe is the default for BT, not sure about other clients.
Thu 05/08/04 at 15:45
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Ok thanks, it looks like I may have to look at the router instruction manual, at last :P
Thu 05/08/04 at 15:50
Regular
Yeah you need to open a few ports to allow other peers to connect to you.

Thats what the yellow light means anyway I think. Still, usually torrent downloads seem to speed up if you leave them running for a while.

Heh. I use the Linux version of BitTornado and it's great :P
Thu 05/08/04 at 16:54
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Of course I would have to have the idiotic router which won't let you specify a port range and instead wants you to open EACH STUPID ONE, ONE BY ONE.
Thu 05/08/04 at 20:02
Regular
"Freeola Support"
All Conexant Chipset based Routers are like this, although with my Zoom X3 I wasn't pleased to find it only allowed 20 entries, you could open the DMZ but I would not recommend it.
Thu 05/08/04 at 21:40
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Tried a DMZ, it made no difference at all.

Opened ports 6881-6889, individually grrrrr.....no difference. Still fluctuating between 2-30KB now so I'll have to live with it.

Only 35 hours 17 mins to go!!!!
Thu 05/08/04 at 23:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Yellow means that your behind a Firewall, so either via the router or software on your PC. Yellow can also mean your behind a Proxy server so are you? If you [url]http://www.whatismyip.com/[/url] and get a different IP than what your connected at then you are behind a Proxy.

BT is determined by how much you upload as well. So to get a decent download speed you do need to share. Normally a peer wont send to you unless you are sending to them so dont limit yourself to very low upload speeds as well as low number of connections. BT still depends on other users so speed can vary especially if all the users have very slow upload speed.
Fri 06/08/04 at 10:32
Regular
adrian wrote:
> BT is determined by how much you upload as well.

I can get 90+ KB download when my upload is only at 10KB.
Fri 06/08/04 at 11:23
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Thanks for the site, I'm not behind a proxy server 'cause I tried it and it gives my current IP. My setings for the program are on automatic so I guess this is the best?

I know this file is really really popular right now and I think my problem is still firewall or port related. I found out that the most common used ports are between 6881-6889 so I used the Shields UP website to probe those port ranges and all of them are stealthed.

I tried opening them up using the virtual server config on the router (this is how you open ports on it) but it makes you give your IP to set them up....and I have dynamic IP. So when the router resets to open those ports it ends up starting on a new IP, making the old entries invalid.

*bangs head against wall*

Meh I give up, I'll just leave it on all day, and all tomorrow, and so on until it finishes...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.