GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memory lane: Wheres Rare"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/02/05 at 16:35
Regular
"spongemycarpetydont"
Has anyone here taken a trip down memory lane, blown the dust off your N64 and rammed a seemingly huge cartridge in their ancient console?
I know i have!
Conker,Banjo and zelda are the best games i've ever played, but are all made by RARE!
Now with the release of Conker:Live and Reloaded approaching, the anger at Microsoft stealing Rare is just... Arrgh!
Why!
Fri 11/02/05 at 16:20
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Hedfix wrote:
> That's because Ninty are slavedrivers

What? And you think Rare took any notice of the 'slavedrivers'? If Nintendo were slavedrivers, it didn't do anything to speed Rare up did it?
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:42
Regular
"8==="
Dringo you missed my point, whatever it was.
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:41
Regular
"8==="
I'll wait for Xbox Next before I make any conclusions about Rare.
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:40
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> That's because Ninty are slavedrivers and Microsoft seem to have a
> different attitude. ;)

RARE took ages releasing games on the N64 too. Don't get me started on Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini and the 4 and a half years for Conker's Bad Fur Day.

> I remember somewhere someone from Microsoft saying that they don't
> pick a great, say, racing developer and ask them to make a grwt
> racing game: they ask the developer what type of game they'd like to
> make and let them make it.

RARE have made more adventure based titles in the past, namely Starfox Adventures. And Kameo was originally a Gamecube game. They're just not what RARE do best.
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:33
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I think Rare are a spent force, merely relying on former glories and their proud name to still keep people interested in them. We can all sit back and remember the good old days of GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Conker and the two Banjo games on the N64, but what of recent times? Nothing of note.
There shouldn't be any excuses, they should have released a few more games on the Xbox by now. No excuses cut the mustard with me, you're either a first-class developer who can release a steady flow of first-class games, or you're nothing.

Maybe they just now lack the decent staff of old, and the fact that they're no longer working side by side with the greatest game developers in the business doesn't help either I'm sure.

It's funny when you think back though, when it was announced that Rare were jumping of the good ship Nintendo it seemed like a crushing loss, not now though I guess (though I wonder if it would have been different if they still worked with Nintendo?)
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:29
Regular
"8==="
That's because Ninty are slavedrivers and Microsoft seem to have a different attitude. ;)

I remember somewhere someone from Microsoft saying that they don't pick a great, say, racing developer and ask them to make a grwt racing game: they ask the developer what type of game they'd like to make and let them make it.

Apparently.

Though they told Molyneux he'd had enough time and Fable HAD to come out sharpish. :D
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:25
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The game's had a total makeover though since it was planned for Cube.

Unless it's changed to a platformer or a shooting game I am not interested one bit. Looks horrible to me. I'm not a fan of those games anyway and hearing it's being developed by RARE puts me off further.

> You gotta realise that Rare are having to totally readjust to the new
> hardware half way through the XBox's life cycle. I doubt we'll see
> anything of real worth from them until Xbox Next appears.

Are you trying to say releasing a sorta "mini game", a port and one adventure title is enough for a 5 team development company that cost over £300 million?

Come on, Retro have also had a total overhaul and they've made more Gamecube games than RARE have made x-box.
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:22
Regular
"8==="
Exactly.
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:15
Regular
The game's had a total makeover though since it was planned for Cube.

You gotta realise that Rare are having to totally readjust to the new hardware half way through the XBox's life cycle. I doubt we'll see anything of real worth from them until Xbox Next appears.
Fri 11/02/05 at 13:13
Regular
Strafio wrote:
> Dringo, I KNOW you'd be drooling over Kameo if it was still set for
> Cube release! ;-P

I've never liked the look of Kameo, not the Gamecube edition and not the X-box edition. RARE are terrible at making these types of games.

It is better to have great games that are delayed than games that are rushed out, but RARE take too long making games. It isn't right. A game should never take so long.

Kameo has been in development now for what, 4,5 years? That's ridiculous. Ocarina of Time took just 3 and a half and people thought that was high.

Starfox took something like 4 years. And wasn't very good. People complained it had been rushed and not bug tested. How can a game that has been in development for 4 years be unfinished? I just don't understand.

Disgrace.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.