GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memory lane: Wheres Rare"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/02/05 at 16:35
Regular
"spongemycarpetydont"
Has anyone here taken a trip down memory lane, blown the dust off your N64 and rammed a seemingly huge cartridge in their ancient console?
I know i have!
Conker,Banjo and zelda are the best games i've ever played, but are all made by RARE!
Now with the release of Conker:Live and Reloaded approaching, the anger at Microsoft stealing Rare is just... Arrgh!
Why!
Tue 08/02/05 at 19:29
Regular
"spongemycarpetydont"
I love goldeneye! And Banjos on the list. I haven't played Perfect Dark (Yet) but want to. Sorry for being a blamsph-whatever! Nintendos partnership with Rare was much better than with Microsoft and, as you said "its just a name now"
Tue 08/02/05 at 10:46
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
The opening sequence in Conker says it all too! When Conker rips up the N64 logo there were token gestures from Rare to Nintendo in that piece! Still makes me laugh now! Stupid Logo!
Tue 08/02/05 at 10:44
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Still, most Xbox owners probably never played the N64 game so it'll
> all be new to them.

Hardly anyone played Conker, thats the sad part! It was released in Europe on a wing and a prayer! Nintendo wouldn't publish it because it knew the N64 was at deaths door early 2001. We should be thankful to THQ for publishing it in the UK. Actually, THANK GOD for THQ. If they hadn't put their necks out we may never have seen this amazing game (unless you had an NTSC console).

Still, the new footage of the nex-gen Conker looks amazing. The scenery is superb.
Tue 08/02/05 at 10:39
Regular
Sibs wrote:
> then the jokes will hardly be
> funny...

I don't know. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing The Great Mighty Poo section with the amazing graphics that have been shown in the videos.

Still, most Xbox owners probably never played the N64 game so it'll all be new to them.
Tue 08/02/05 at 10:32
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Strafio wrote:
> I think Rare'll be back on track.
> It's just that apart from Kameo, they've had to completely start from
> scratch since MS bought them. Starfox and Goulies show that they can
> still produce technical master pieces.
>
> Conker and Kameo will reveal all.
> I wonder if they'll announce any more Xbox titles?

They will probably announce more titles! I think they have no choice at the moment. I mean they've had one major release since Microsoft bought them and that was hardly a groundbreaking game. Mr Gates might start to get an bit anxy if they dont start producing some quality stuff soon!
Tue 08/02/05 at 09:46
Regular
I think Rare'll be back on track.
It's just that apart from Kameo, they've had to completely start from scratch since MS bought them. Starfox and Goulies show that they can still produce technical master pieces.

Conker and Kameo will reveal all.
I wonder if they'll announce any more Xbox titles?
Mon 07/02/05 at 21:53
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> lcarus wrote:
> Conker on the Xbox ain't so good
>
> Conker on the Xbox is Bad Fur Day with much better graphics. Even if
> Rare aren't the company they used to be, there's no way they can mess
> up this.

But to be fair, if you've played the original (okay, seeing as it was released when the N64 was essentially dead and buried, then that may not be a great deal of people...) then the jokes will hardly be funny... The gameplay was good, but part of the genuis was the fact that it was a game that was really funny. Laugh out loud funny. Not little smirk at some obscure gaming reference funny, funny like you'd be playing infront of mates and they'd be cracking up. Meh.
Mon 07/02/05 at 20:22
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
MrGlitch wrote:
> Has anyone here taken a trip down memory lane, blown the dust off your
> N64 and rammed a seemingly huge cartridge in their ancient console?
> I know i have!
> Conker,Banjo and zelda are the best games i've ever played, but are
> all made by RARE!
> Now with the release of Conker:Live and Reloaded approaching, the
> anger at Microsoft stealing Rare is just... Arrgh!
> Why!

For a start you're a blasphemer!
WHY the hell have you allowed your N64 to gather dust anyway? Mine has never been put away! It gets played all the time! I'm currently on Conker (again). And as for calling the console ancient, you need a good 'wet fish' slap!
Admittedly Rare were gaming Gods in 1997/98/99/00/01. It went down hill from there. Microsoft didn't 'steal' Rare, Nintendo got shot of them and ran like a cat out of hell with the rich pickings! Leaving Microsoft with nothing but a name really. The best days of Rare have long since passed.
Mon 07/02/05 at 19:04
Regular
lcarus wrote:
> Conker on the Xbox ain't so good

Conker on the Xbox is Bad Fur Day with much better graphics. Even if Rare aren't the company they used to be, there's no way they can mess up this.
Mon 07/02/05 at 18:24
Regular
"boom boom click"
ok

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.