GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy Battle System"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Final Fantasy XIII'.
Fri 18/02/05 at 22:15
Regular
"member of dogg poun"
What does everyone think of the Final Fantasy battle system? I think all the Final Fantasy games were perfect up till X. X-2 battle system is a step in the right direction but still not as good as FF7 ect.
Thu 24/02/05 at 14:39
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Oh yeah, the X levelling up system is really terribly different to the others isn't it?
If anything it made your party more customisable, and thus better.
Wed 23/02/05 at 10:54
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Hmmm... FFXII may take it's inspiration from the combat system in FFXI - which is still turn based, in real time (moves are based on 'delay' characteristics and cool-off periods for spells) although the monsters are free-roaming and visible.

FFXI combat has huge amounts of depth. e.g. Just last night I reached another personal highpoint when I performed a one-man skillchain and magic burst - which would normally require 3 people! As summoner I can link my avatar's attacks with my weapon skills (think limit breaks) to create elemental effects that add extra damage - follow with a spell of the same element and the usual damage is multiplied (magic burst)

i finished off a fight in 10 seconds by summoning Titan, using gust slash with my dagger and having Titan use rock throw, then casting stone. Boom!
Tue 22/02/05 at 11:29
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
SnoopDogg wrote:
> Onto the Aeons:
> I think the idea was to make battles make battles more tactical but
> instead of 'tactics' it just made battles harder because you could
> only use the 'overdrive' ONCE

Indeed it made Final Fantasy X's difficulty go from ridiculously easy to laughably easy
Tue 22/02/05 at 10:28
Regular
SnoopDogg wrote:
> If it is a PSone you have or a PS2 MAKE sure to get Final Fantasy VII
> (special reserve still have stock i think).

I can vouch for that. It arrived last week.
I'd already played as far as Sephiroph on the PC version, but stupid Windows XP wasn't compatable with it so it used to randomly close the game after a random battle. Did ruin the game a little.

Someone mentioned 6.
Final Fantasy 6 was great until "the world ended" and then kind of lost momentum. There didn't seem to be much plot left, just revisiting everywhere you'd already been already to explore and stuff.
That in itself was alright, but it did seem to kind of lose all momentum and nothing seemed to happen after that.

Or perhaps I was expecting too much of it.
Either way, I was really loving it until that happened.
Mon 21/02/05 at 23:44
"period drama"
Aye. Aeris' theme still tugs at the heart strings.
*weeples*
Why!? Why godammit, why!?

Ahh ... she probably deserved it.

As for 6 ... nah, didn't really like it at all.
Probably because I played it in 4 or 5 big chunks, several months apart, so kinda forgot what had happened. Dunno ... most people say it's pretty good, but I never really got anything off playing it.

4, though, I enjoyed muchly.
Mon 21/02/05 at 22:56
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Not really.
> You can't rate something higher than "one of the best games of
> all time' which it is.

It was the music that made 7, Aeries dying wihtout that music would of made it nothing. I still rate 6 over 7 though.
Mon 21/02/05 at 20:39
Regular
"member of dogg poun"
Geffdof wrote:
> Ive been playing FFVII for a week or so now, off and on. I think its
> great. One of the best games ever. Shame the graphics look dated. But
> the story and game play are still top notch.
>
> I didnt like the way you sould controll the monsters that you
> summoned in X, and I wasnt a fan of the sphere grid either. But they
> always make a change like this in each game to make it a bit
> different.

I'm glad someone hates the Sphere Grid as much as i do. I think it makes a mockery of Final Fantasy as an RPG to NOT include the tried and tested leveling up system.

Onto the Aeons:
I think the idea was to make battles make battles more tactical but instead of 'tactics' it just made battles harder because you could only use the 'overdrive' ONCE unless you had a huge amount of HP to get the gauge up. I hope FFXII will be good, it looks similar to FFIX so hopefully if the leveling up and battling are restored to what they were before then thats gonna be great!
Mon 21/02/05 at 12:45
Regular
"..."
Wink wrote:
> FF7 is SO over-rated.

Well, yes and no. Yes because everything that's said about it is true, it has superior gameplay, story, and some of the greatest characters ever.
And no because there are some games that can be considered the same , or even better but yet didn't receive so much praise, at least in Europe.
Mon 21/02/05 at 00:56
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Geffdof wrote:
> Ive been playing FFVII for a week or so now, off and on. I think its
> great. One of the best games ever. Shame the graphics look dated. But
> the story and game play are still top notch.
>
> I didnt like the way you sould controll the monsters that you
> summoned in X, and I wasnt a fan of the sphere grid either. But they
> always make a change like this in each game to make it a bit
> different.

I agree with everything i've just read, i hated the sphere grid in X and didn't like controlling the aeons. You've also pointed out the reason for a remake of VII, graphics w***es wont play it, actually stuff them, maybe it shouldn't be remade, bloody serves them right!
Sun 20/02/05 at 20:00
Regular
"lets go back"
Ive been playing FFVII for a week or so now, off and on. I think its great. One of the best games ever. Shame the graphics look dated. But the story and game play are still top notch.

I didnt like the way you sould controll the monsters that you summoned in X, and I wasnt a fan of the sphere grid either. But they always make a change like this in each game to make it a bit different.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.