GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy Battle System"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Final Fantasy XIII'.
Fri 18/02/05 at 22:15
Regular
"member of dogg poun"
What does everyone think of the Final Fantasy battle system? I think all the Final Fantasy games were perfect up till X. X-2 battle system is a step in the right direction but still not as good as FF7 ect.
Mon 28/02/05 at 17:57
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
:-D

Hey FFF agreed with me and FFF's word is law i'll have you know :-D
Mon 28/02/05 at 17:54
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Kawada wrote:
>hardly power levelling i'm sure you'll agree

:D Yes I will agree, cos this is your own crazy definition of power-levelling again heheh
Mon 28/02/05 at 17:07
Regular
"member of dogg poun"
Kawada wrote:
> I said firstly that FFX was laughably easy, then you replied and i
> amended my statement to what i meant was that the storyline aspects
> of FFX were laughably easy. The Dark Aeons and getting that chocobo
> race down to 0 seconds was difficult.
>
> So to get it straight my point is that the storyline battles in FFX
> were easy

Sorry to disagree but i think FFX is really much more difficult that FF1-FF9 because of the way you level up. Normally you would get experience points and it would automatically take your HP and MP up but in FFX just getting experience does nothing. You have to go through a lame process of using mana and ability spheres. I just found it annoying. So fighting bosses would take ages not because you lack experience but because you lack spheres.
Mon 28/02/05 at 15:42
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I said firstly that FFX was laughably easy, then you replied and i amended my statement to what i meant was that the storyline aspects of FFX were laughably easy. The Dark Aeons and getting that chocobo race down to 0 seconds was difficult.

So to get it straight my point is that the storyline battles in FFX were easy
Mon 28/02/05 at 15:27
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Kawada wrote:
> These boards never cease to amaze me though, i thought i'd get no
> arguments about saying the main part of FFX was easy.

You wouldn't have if you'd said it. But what you said was.... (I don't need to quote it back, do I?)
Mon 28/02/05 at 12:39
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Darwock wrote:
> kawada, given your fondness for levelling-up to the max, I think it's
> a bit rich for you to accuse something of being long-winded rather
> than hard. I mean, levelling up to the max takes a long time but
> enables you to do anything without any real challenge.

There's a difference between power levelling making something easy and it being easy in the first place just with normal levelling. FFX isn't the sort of RPG that lends itself to power levelling as easy as Disgaea anyway. Not even i will be trying to get to level 99 by beating a load of enemies that give me 10 exp points at a time.

FFX is just a easy RPG in my opinion, apart from the Dark Aeons there's nothing in that game that should give you any problems just with normal levelling, i didn't power level on that as FFX wasn't a game that captured my imagination like Disgaea did to actually make me want to keep playing and playing. I think i finished the game at about level 60 without having to use a continue, hardly power levelling i'm sure you'll agree.

Plus anyway only the Nippon Ichi games and FF Tactics have been games i've actually levelled my characters up more than i should have and in the Nippon Ichi games i actually completed the game first before i started to launch into my levelling frenzy :-D

These boards never cease to amaze me though, i thought i'd get no arguments about saying the main part of FFX was easy.
Mon 28/02/05 at 11:02
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
kawada, given your fondness for levelling-up to the max, I think it's a bit rich for you to accuse something of being long-winded rather than hard. I mean, levelling up to the max takes a long time but enables you to do anything without any real challenge.

Some of the bosses in FFX-2 were incredibly hard. I can't remember the names but the thing in the desert and the dragon that guarded the path at the end... hellish!!
Mon 28/02/05 at 09:41
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> I dunno about that statement. I think finishing the storyline is
> very easy as there are tricks to beating every encounter e.g.

I was referring to the storyline itself and completing that, hell just look at the final boss for proof, the only way you can lose is if you cast Petrify on yourself

> All-minigames: remember the 200 lightning strikes?

Not really hard, just have to keep your concentration up for that time, avoiding the lightning itself was easy

> Overdrives: all those blitzball games you have to play to get Wakka
> his best overdrives

not hard just long

> Celestial Weapons: I'm on my 3rd playthrough now and I'm not looking
> forward to the finishing that bloody chocobo race in 0 seconds

Now that one was hard i'll give you that mainly due to the awkwardness of the chocobo and the invisible wall syndrome, still eventually managed to do it though

> Developing Yojimbo: Did you know that to guarantee Zanmato against a
> Dark Aeon, even if you have the best relationship possible, you need
> to pay 8,388,608 Gil to him? (In the PAL version at least, I think
> the NTSC/JAP versions were a lot harder, something like only a 17%
> chance of Zanmato if you paid him half a billion Gil each
> fight).

Again not hard just long winded to get all that cash.
Mon 28/02/05 at 09:28
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Here here,

Agree there, finishing FFX-2 properly was one of my favorite achievements, first time through i thought meah, weak ending possible X-3, but getting the "good" ending second time through was well worth it, as was getting to the 100th level in the temple! :)

Still never managed to do the chocobo race in under 0 secs though, or the fly catching one in the woods in FF X. :(

Role on twelve.
Mon 28/02/05 at 06:23
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Kawada wrote:
> Indeed it made Final Fantasy X's difficulty go from ridiculously easy
> to laughably easy

I dunno about that statement. I think finishing the storyline is very easy as there are tricks to beating every encounter e.g.

Evrae 1: use Al-Bhed potions
Evrae 2: use Phoenix Downs
Flans: use opposing elements
Yojimbo: Khamari's Doom overdrive
Everything else: Yojimbo's Zanmato or chuck an Aeon at it

The hard part was getting your characters to a level whereby they were capable of completing the game e.g.

All-minigames: remember the 200 lightning strikes?
Overdrives: all those blitzball games you have to play to get Wakka his best overdrives
Celestial Weapons: I'm on my 3rd playthrough now and I'm not looking forward to the finishing that bloody chocobo race in 0 seconds
Developing Yojimbo: Did you know that to guarantee Zanmato against a Dark Aeon, even if you have the best relationship possible, you need to pay 8,388,608 Gil to him? (In the PAL version at least, I think the NTSC/JAP versions were a lot harder, something like only a 17% chance of Zanmato if you paid him half a billion Gil each fight).

X-2 took game completion to extremes (there was no way on earth anyone would have known they had to press 'X' 4 times during a certain cut-scene to get 100% completion unless they had outside help). Nonetheless it had some neat parts to it, and like its predecessor you had to do a lot of things to level your characters as much as possible and had to fight some fiendish bosses if you wanted the best equipment (I've still yet to visit the 100th level of Bevelle).

X-2 was one of my favourites not because of the Dressphere system but because of the characters (especially the battles vs Ormi and Logos, the music was just so 'different') and the whole thing was just upbeat and funky compared to previous FFs. The Gunner 'job' was inspired adding a nice bit of button-mashing to the gameplay.

You can see a lot of influences from previous FFs in the current FFXI (range of jobs, opposing elements etc) but here are some extras I'd like to see in FFXII:

More than 4 elements (Fire, Ice, Thunder, Water.... old hat, add more!)
Skillchains and Magic Bursts (again straight out of FFXI, could easily make it into FFXII)
Incredibly tough end-bosses: I'd love to see an end-boss which you just can't beat until you've levelled all your characters to around 80% of their max (most FF end-bosses you can beat at around 10%, you only really need to level your characters more to do full completion of all tasks in the games).

What was the question again?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.