GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Weddings - A Big Waste of Cash?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/06/04 at 10:55
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
A subject that is close to my heart and my purse at the moment. I'm not asking for any advice from anyone. I will be getting married, and it will end up costing somewhere between 5 and 8 grand for that one day.

Obviously I'm being frugal. From different sources I've found average wedding price stated as anywhere from £12,000 to £18,000. I'm hoping to be around £6,000. But still, when else would you spend that much money on celebrating one day? and is it worth it? I'm interested in being a married woman, not in having a huge party where everything is calculated to impress wealthier relatives and friends. I've suggested having a small wedding with My Mum and Dad and Grandma, and The Ogre's Mum, Dad, Grandie and Sister, but nothing doing, the Ogre keeps saying oh but we have to invite [insert random relative/friend/stranger]. My Mum and Dad keep saying oh but we have to invite [insert random parent's friends I've never met].

but my mind just boggles at the amount of money we will be spending. If the wedding lasted for 10 hours, that's £600 an hour. That's £10 a minute. Thats stupid money. I could buy a CD for every minute for 10 hours for that money. I could buy a car, or have 10% deposit (for this area) on a very nice house.

Still I have the final laugh, spoilt brat (and only child) that I am, my parents are paying for it.
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:08
Regular
Nonsense, we could take turns with Ros and spend all the saved cash on a dungeon.
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:03
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:

> Good luck with it all anyway. :D Give me £500 and I'll marry
> you both if you like.

huh huh

Bigamy is illegal Grix! I think she wanted to marry the Ogre and i'm not even gonna go into talking about gay weddings!
Mon 21/06/04 at 12:22
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I never wanted a big wedding and a big dress when I was a kid. However, when I tried on the big dress I felt fantastic.
Mon 21/06/04 at 12:21
"I love yo... lamp."
Well Grix you'd be cheaper than a decent dishwasher.

I suppose in some ways weddings are a waste of money. Especially if you've been with your partner for a long time, then it ends up being just some random expensive anomally.

But at the same time, if my girlfriend wanted a big fairy tale wedding at a castle with hundreds of people, I'd be happy to give her that no matter what the cost (if I could manage it) because I loved her that much to want to marry her in the first place.

Despite the growing indifference to marriage, most women still have all their child hood dreams of big white wedding dresses.
Mon 21/06/04 at 12:14
Regular
I know, it's terrible.

I've nothing against marriages, but I don't like the way a lot of people use it as a 'turning' point or something to give their relationship confidence.. that's what worries me really. If you're going to be with someone, you can be with them without being married, the marrying part is just one of these bonus things.

Good luck with it all anyway. :D Give me £500 and I'll marry you both if you like.
Mon 21/06/04 at 12:08
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
You're such an old romantic ;o)
Mon 21/06/04 at 12:07
Regular
I think I'd just prefer a kinda..

"I love you."
"You do?"
"Yes."
"Cool."

And that'll be it. Much cheaper.
Mon 21/06/04 at 11:58
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Yeah, I'm planning on an afternoon wedding with a fork buffet after.

The place I've found will do a really nice fork buffet for about £20 a head which includes 4 glasses of wine, and the room hire. I'm inviting 100 people, so doing the maths, thats not a bad price for a reception. Of course, I know there are loads of other bits of expense that need tagging on.
Mon 21/06/04 at 11:55
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
my cousin had a sit down meal at £95 per head...there wa about 15 tables with about 5-6 ppl on each!
Mon 21/06/04 at 11:52
Regular
"lets go back"
It was in Arley Hall in Cheshire, but he could afford it. Everyone tought it was nice but if he'd of had it in some cheap place nobody would have cared.

If you do want a cheap wedding tho, get married in the afternoon, it cuts out the meal in the daytime and you can move onto the night-time party, which if you self cater (using friends and family) you can have quite cheaply.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.