GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Asylum Seekers/Immigrants"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/06/04 at 20:40
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Touchy subject

What are your views on the issue?
Sat 05/06/04 at 21:04
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I have no problem with genuine asylum seekers and i completely understand why the others who arent genuine come here, but there has to be a limit.
You cant just have mass evacuations from a country because they dont like it.
I'd rather the government prioritise the people and problems in this country.
I'm not sure, but currently all you need to do is to say you want to leave to be considered a traitor to your nation, this classes you as a political asylum seeker.
There will come a point where we have to say no more, infact hasnt it already happened in denmark.
Sat 05/06/04 at 21:04
Regular
2 touchy subjects.

Everybody seems to lump the issues together, disregarding the different economic factors of each issue and the different types of reason for the people coming here.

As a result the debate disintegrates into "Foreigners in the country: Good or bad"
Which is a bit of an injustice to everyone, including tabloid-reading mongs whose personal outlooks and opinions are shaped by such tripe.

Even MPs do it though - start talking about assylum and blindly fudge their way into talking about immigration.
I've seen Blair do it. He's not on a par with Bush for hideous gaffs, but you'd expect the fricking Prime Minister to have a basic grasp on the nature of these issues and the differences between the two.

My opinions:

Assylum - For genuine assylum seekers, it's a matter of life and death. False assylum seekers.. you can understand why they try it, but it makes getting assylum difficult for people in genuine and serious need.
The relatively recent government restrictions on appeals against asylum decisions are pretty shocking when you consider that 1 in 5 assylum rejections used to be overturned on appeal. That's 1 in 5 being sent back into a situation where their life at risk.

A knee-jerk reaction to tabloids overstating the economic cost of assylum.
And it's probably killed hundreds by now.
F*** Blair.

Immigration - You get an appointment with a doctor these days and you're probably in debt to foreign (typically Asian) doctors who've come into the country and are making up for our shortage in qualified doctors. Even if the doc you're seeing isn't here through immigration, you'll have been able to to see him much quicker because of foreign doctors taking some of the strain off overall demand for appointments in your area.

The country is now short on skilled tradesmen - plumbers, builders etc.
Guess how we'll rectify that problem ?

And after draining skilled workers from other countries to make up for our shortages in certain sectors, taking in some other individuals with different/less skills is the least we should do.

Besides which, do we really have an inherent right to live in an economically stable coutry, yet other people do not ?
Do we f***. Keeping people out of the country is simply a matter of screwing them over so we don't have to share our own little slice of the pie.
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:50
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Wasn't this show on just after that series about the soldiers in Iraq? Immigrants has less canned laughter, but the characterisation is top-notch.
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:48
Regular
"SOUP!"
Isn't this topic a bit late?

It was the hot topic [*presses button* "HOT TOPIC!"] about 6 months ago, not any more.
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:48
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ooo, and;

1) What about foreign people from other countries coming here and working? From 'acceptable' nations like Australia. Why are they 'good'?
2) Like LaLakersRule said, what of 'sponges' here?

(General annoyance post)
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:46
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm still waiting for this flood of immigrants we were meant to be getting on May 1st, where have they got to? Bus broken down or something? Or have they realised that they're much better off living in their own countries then this horrible place? Or once again more over-reacting from the Daily Mail? What a shock that would be.

Anyway far as the original question goes :-) Haven't got a problem with genuine asylum seekers or immigrants coming here to work as they benefit the country and help continue it's growth, it's just the ones who come here to sponge off the system for all it's worth. But then quite a few born and bred english people do that anyway so what do the Daily Mail brigade suggest we do with them? Kick them out as well?

I'll be off myself anyway, hopefully to either Japan or America soon, so ermmmm, 3 cheers for the immigrants :-D
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
'Allowed' in, if under strict and fair laws and eveything follwing a just system. As should everything. As well as a general improvement of representation of them in society.
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:40
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Touchy subject

What are your views on the issue?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.