GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Well, he's on his way out"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/05/04 at 10:20
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3741257.stm[/URL]

Gerard Houllier's departure for Liverpool will apparently be announced on Monday. I for one am sad that he's going - I think if you look at things objectively, he's done a lot for the club in his six years, before he turned up, it was still in the culture of the club to drink and womanize (with the Spice Boys twaddle and all that). He put a stop to that, in much the same as Wenger did at Arsenal. Before he came along, Liverpool were finishing 8th and 10th. During his reign, we were 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd, always finishing behind better teams.

Besides, they had one dodgy season and that can hardly be blamed on him. Admittedly his biggest downfalls were his terrible purchases - Diao, Diouff, Cheyrou - I shudder to think how much money was wasted on them, but he wouldn't have signed them if they didn't have potential. The blame has to lie with the players who weren't pulling their weight, surely.

I just hope we get Curbishley or, even better, Martin O'Neill as a replacement. I was kind of hoping Houllier would stay on as director of football or some other role, as it'd be a shame to outright sack what is essentially a good manager (he'd be the first to be sacked in 40 years). To come back strong after something as terrible as a heart bypass shows a lot of character, and I think a lot of the players will be sad he's on his way. Wonder how many will scoot in the summer because he won't be there?

Farewell Gerard, we hardly knew ye.
Mon 24/05/04 at 14:43
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Houllier was a good manager for Liverpool and it's a shame to see him go. I think it's the right choice in letting him leave. He's a great manager, but he was becoming stale.

The signings he made in the summer is probably the main part in his departure. All good players, but not for Liverpool with their style of play.

Liverpool will need to get a good manager and I wouldn't be surprised if the Real Madrids old boss got it after being sacked today. The favourite would probably be O'Neill.
Mon 24/05/04 at 14:40
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I would have liked him to stay on in some capacity; maybe working with the Academy players?

Either way, as much as we needed a change, I'm sad to see him leave, and I hope he stays managing, preferably in England.
Mon 24/05/04 at 13:45
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
What are the odds on Martin O'Neill taking over?

He won another cup yesterday.
Mon 24/05/04 at 13:40
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Bit rushed in my opinion as there noone available, who is that much 'better' to takeover the reigns.
Mon 24/05/04 at 12:41
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I am also not happy about this
Mon 24/05/04 at 11:35
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think it's a shame, but not unexpected.

I like Houllier, and I reckon he's done well. It really does take something special to win the league and Champions League, and that does not mean Houllier was a rubbish manager. Far from it.
Mon 24/05/04 at 10:20
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3741257.stm[/URL]

Gerard Houllier's departure for Liverpool will apparently be announced on Monday. I for one am sad that he's going - I think if you look at things objectively, he's done a lot for the club in his six years, before he turned up, it was still in the culture of the club to drink and womanize (with the Spice Boys twaddle and all that). He put a stop to that, in much the same as Wenger did at Arsenal. Before he came along, Liverpool were finishing 8th and 10th. During his reign, we were 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd, always finishing behind better teams.

Besides, they had one dodgy season and that can hardly be blamed on him. Admittedly his biggest downfalls were his terrible purchases - Diao, Diouff, Cheyrou - I shudder to think how much money was wasted on them, but he wouldn't have signed them if they didn't have potential. The blame has to lie with the players who weren't pulling their weight, surely.

I just hope we get Curbishley or, even better, Martin O'Neill as a replacement. I was kind of hoping Houllier would stay on as director of football or some other role, as it'd be a shame to outright sack what is essentially a good manager (he'd be the first to be sacked in 40 years). To come back strong after something as terrible as a heart bypass shows a lot of character, and I think a lot of the players will be sad he's on his way. Wonder how many will scoot in the summer because he won't be there?

Farewell Gerard, we hardly knew ye.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.