GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Well, he's on his way out"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/05/04 at 10:20
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3741257.stm[/URL]

Gerard Houllier's departure for Liverpool will apparently be announced on Monday. I for one am sad that he's going - I think if you look at things objectively, he's done a lot for the club in his six years, before he turned up, it was still in the culture of the club to drink and womanize (with the Spice Boys twaddle and all that). He put a stop to that, in much the same as Wenger did at Arsenal. Before he came along, Liverpool were finishing 8th and 10th. During his reign, we were 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd, always finishing behind better teams.

Besides, they had one dodgy season and that can hardly be blamed on him. Admittedly his biggest downfalls were his terrible purchases - Diao, Diouff, Cheyrou - I shudder to think how much money was wasted on them, but he wouldn't have signed them if they didn't have potential. The blame has to lie with the players who weren't pulling their weight, surely.

I just hope we get Curbishley or, even better, Martin O'Neill as a replacement. I was kind of hoping Houllier would stay on as director of football or some other role, as it'd be a shame to outright sack what is essentially a good manager (he'd be the first to be sacked in 40 years). To come back strong after something as terrible as a heart bypass shows a lot of character, and I think a lot of the players will be sad he's on his way. Wonder how many will scoot in the summer because he won't be there?

Farewell Gerard, we hardly knew ye.
Tue 25/05/04 at 12:08
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Forest Fan, how does any of what you just said argue my point of there isn't anyone out there who is free and available and is that much better to replace Houllier? you quoted that bit of my post yet started going on about who Liverpool bought and what they have won? you make no sense.
Tue 25/05/04 at 12:01
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I'm surprised to discover that I feel a little sad that he has gone totally but am pleased that Liverpool are going to get a new manager to bring a broom in and clean out the cobwebs.

I seem to remember that he had some kind of 10 year plan but Liverpool had stagnated and need a good kick to get them going again.

Finishing 4th in the premiership was luck not management, especially when you look at the 15 points difference between 3rd and 4th. We only managed it because Newcastle had such a lousy away season and Aston Villa took a while to remember how to win.
Tue 25/05/04 at 11:46
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Neó wrote:
> As much as I agree with that I still think Liverpool have been a bit
> premature in getting rid of him totally first as there is noone
> really 'a lot better' free and available to replace him and secondly
> he could have been used to help a new coach.

Not really. He has been manager of Liverpool for six years and in that time, the board have given him money to buy players like Emile Heskey, John Arne Riise and El Hadji Diouf. He has won quite a lot of trophies on paper, but has failed to move the club forward. They did well before to finish second, but they haven't progressed suffeciently.

For me though it is a shame to see him go.
Tue 25/05/04 at 11:39
"R.I.P Acestar"
I'm a Liverpool fan and I know that he made the club good but it was ineviteble(sp) that he was on his way out.C'mon Martin O'Neil!
Tue 25/05/04 at 00:05
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Ashley wrote:
> The harsh reality is however that he has proven himself incapable of taking liverpool to the next level.

As much as I agree with that I still think Liverpool have been a bit premature in getting rid of him totally first as there is noone really 'a lot better' free and available to replace him and secondly he could have been used to help a new coach.

For example; I personally would have moved him upstairs and tried to bring in someone like Alan Curbishly as first team coach and although he lacks European experiance, Houllier could have helped in that area and after a couple of years Curbishly would have further his knoweldge about European football.

The alternative Benitez can't speak English let alone Scouse so he'd be no good at Liverpool! I don't really see Martin O'Neil leaving Celtic at the moment and other than that there isn't anyone who can take on the job. Phil Thompson is another who may yet be the man to get the job, or may not have a job at all if the new manager decides to bring his own staff in - but who knows.
Mon 24/05/04 at 23:47
Regular
nice guy and to that extent i feel sorry for him. The harsh reality is however that he has proven himself incapable of taking liverpool to the next level.

He has had 6 years and 135 million to do this, and the long and the short of it, is that he hasn't. Some of his signings apart from some of the blatantly obvious have been diabolical and a criminal waste of funds they can't accept.

no other manager has had this level of time or resources to prove themselves and he has failed. (no ranieri rants, he has only had 1 year with any form of budget).

If he hadn't won those cups he would have been out on his ear a couple of years ago, If we are all honest he has been living on borrowed time for a couple of years. Liverpool have acted in perfect time, to stop the rot. Another year and the damage could have been irreversible. I.e Owen, Gerrard and the good players wanting out. At least this way, Stupid bids aside they'll stay and see how the new guy works out.

Liverpools board need to have a bit of courage too, hold out a month or so before appointing a new manager, don't make any signings unless they are obviously available top notch players, and in the mean time offer around the dodgy players. (biscan, diao, traore, Smicer and co) so the new manager can come in with a new slate and not have any of that tosh waiting around. This won't happen and its more than likely the new manager will come in and go "I am signing new players, but everyone has a chance under me!" or just not flog them straight away for the disharmony factor which will turn the squad against him. and so the tosh will stay diluting the squad for another year.

At least the new guy can spend the money how he chooses and there should be a fair wad, especially if they sell the crap. If i were moore and parry i'd cut deadwood with phil thompson's help before the new guy arrives to give them the best chance of a fresh start.
Mon 24/05/04 at 22:26
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Just saw him on the news.

Poor bloke, especially with the clip of him complaining on May 14th over the pressure for 1960s/70s style/culture etc.
Mon 24/05/04 at 15:19
Regular
"tokyo police club"
They want to mount a serious challenge for teh title, apparently.

They cannot be serious, with Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea all in the premiership?

Fools.
Mon 24/05/04 at 14:59
Regular
"Colourless"
O'Neill's waiting for United.

He's just being groomed at Celtic to replace S'Alex.
Mon 24/05/04 at 14:57
Regular
If he takes the job..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.