GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smith + Man Utd = Good or Bad?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/05/04 at 20:18
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Yeh do you think Smith would be good at United?

I think he would be good, but not amazing. He needs a club where he will be the star player, like Leeds. I think that's the only way he will shine. Although having said that, he will get the service at Man Utd that he may not get elsewhere.

I think he would be better off at a mediocre club, a bit like Liverpool :p

Your opinions?
Wed 19/05/04 at 16:10
Regular
"tokyo police club"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Oh i do know where they're SUPPOSED to lie but as i live in the real
> world instead of the rosy deranged world of the leeds fan's mind i
> pay little attention to it. He's a person that like everyone has a
> career to think about and be able to support himself. Now given the
> choice of playing in division 1 for your scum for a measly pay packet
> or joining a decent club like us for a good weekly wage while also
> playing in european competition bettering himself so he'll get picked
> for England i'm sure i know which i'd choose, allegiance or not.

So you're saying that you'd happily leave Man United for, say, Man City, if Man U were relegated? Oh, and about 30 grand a week is a pay packet? hah. Of course it is. Money isn't everything. i'm not saying that him playing for you is a bad thing, or that it's morally wrong, I'm just saying that no TRUE Leeds fan, or any real fan, for that matter, would ever leave the club they've supported since they were children for the club they've been bred to hate. If he's claiming to be a Leeds fan, and he'll happily call himself a local lad and a fan, and take the plaudits from teh fans, then why would he ever leave Leeds? For a fan, playing for the team you love is the pinnacle of everything, England, career - basically, Alan Smith is saying 2 things
1) that he's bigger than Leeds United for saying he wanted to leave
2) that in no way is he a true supporter, as he's leaving specifically for Man United.

> More fool you then, you can explain to your kid when you retire why
> you're not living it up in the life of luxury but instead stuck in a
> semi in Leeds. *Ah but don't worry son who needs a comfortable life,
> i still have my allegiance to Leeds United*

He could easily earn a comforrtable life - he earns a couple of million pounds a year, and he's aged 23, for heavens sake. Stop coming up with these petty ideas that playing for a Leeds automatically means that they retire to become scavengers - Leeds pay Alan Smith exceedingly well, and I don't soubt we'd still pay Alan 20 grand a week if he wanted to stay.

> When someone has a choice of leaving
> Leeds, and is a 'True' Leeds fan, and he chooses to go to Man
> United,
> what are Leeds supposed to do?

You don't get it, do you? Alan smith has BEEN Leeds this season - he's claimed to be the engine, teh heartbeat of this team, and you don't seem to understand that most of teh fans see him as what Leeds are as a club. Losing a 'Local Lad' to your biggest rivals is quite a sad thing, you know.

> Got nothing better to do with your life then do sad little rubbish
> like this then?

I've got nothing better to do than abuse the man who was thought to be a true supporter, when really he's just a money hungry little slug.
Thu 20/05/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Evertone seem to be leading the race, with a bid of £7.5 mil in to unite the two England strikers, Rooney and (to be) Smith.
Thu 20/05/04 at 17:53
"High polygon count"
Leeds fan or not, I'm surprised United are even interested to be honest.

He strikes me as on a par with Heskey - i.e. an average-to-good striker, but nothing special. He wouldn't be much below himself at somewhere like Bolton or Pompey.

Comparing Smith to players like Henry and RvN is like comparing Parlour to Zidane.

Except Parlour's a better midfielder than Smith is a striker! :-)

And Smith always looks like he's wearing lippy, too.
Thu 20/05/04 at 18:08
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> He strikes me as on a par with Heskey

I think that's over-exaggerating a bit Wookie, Smith has done pretty well at club who has been going downhill for a while, he needs to step up a level and he will get a chance to do that at United.

There's no point critcising a player before he has had a chance to play at the highest level, there are areas of him that he can develop and at 23 he has every chance to do so.

Whoever signs him will get a player with good potential and someone who will give a 100% for the team - that's for sure.
Thu 20/05/04 at 18:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Smith would be a brilliant signing for us, on the pitch. I mean, with Roy Keane only getting older (no matter how much we like to try and hide it), we're losing that 'drive' and determination we need to find the goals that haven't always come, this past season alone.

Louis Saha can move out of the way - let's have a REAL hard-working goal-scorer in Alan Smith to partner Ruud van Nistelrooy!

If I was England manager, he'd be in that No.9 shirt alongside Michael Owen - and he would've been two-or-three-years-ago; just after he could score hat-trick-after-hat-trick for the Under-21s.

The one thing I don't like about him, however, is what he's made and done of all this to get his "dream" move. As soon as Leeds' fate was set in concrete, off he went, jibber-jabbering away. For someone who's been so loyal and honest towards his club, it's quite disgusting really. He deserved all he got from the fans in the season finalé against Chelsea.

...He's still a top-draw striker, mind!
Thu 20/05/04 at 18:26
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Solskjær wrote:
>He deserved all he got from the fans in the season finalé against Chelsea.

What? Cheering from both sides? Even though he had an awful game...
Thu 20/05/04 at 18:43
Regular
"Long time no see!"
No, he actually got a lot of stick because of what he's=d been saying publicly - before the season had even finished!
Thu 20/05/04 at 19:55
Regular
"Colourless"
Were you there?
Thu 20/05/04 at 19:56
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Yes.
Thu 20/05/04 at 19:59
Regular
"Colourless"
Ugh I know you were. I was talking to Ole Gunnar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.