GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smith + Man Utd = Good or Bad?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/05/04 at 20:18
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Yeh do you think Smith would be good at United?

I think he would be good, but not amazing. He needs a club where he will be the star player, like Leeds. I think that's the only way he will shine. Although having said that, he will get the service at Man Utd that he may not get elsewhere.

I think he would be better off at a mediocre club, a bit like Liverpool :p

Your opinions?
Mon 24/05/04 at 18:36
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
The latest on this is that United's Danny Pugh will be heading the other way in a player plus cash deal, Soccernet.com is saying that the deal will be completed by wednesday.
Mon 24/05/04 at 01:05
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
mcg_highlander wrote:
Someone definitely touched on something earlier saying that
> he'll add a bit of fire to Man Utd side but I think that Saha &
> Van Nistelrooy have the makings of a good partnership.

Maybe so but to be on the safe side you need 4 top quality strikers to get the job done if one gets injured or just for those lesser games where Fergie would be able to rest Ruud and play Smith knowing there's not much to worry about as Smith knows where the back of the net is.
Mon 24/05/04 at 00:52
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
To be honest, I don't know why Man Utd would want him, whenever I've seen him he hasn't been THAT good, granted he is young and will still improve (or should do) but I can't really see him as a Man Utd player. Someone definitely touched on something earlier saying that he'll add a bit of fire to Man Utd side but I think that Saha & Van Nistelrooy have the makings of a good partnership. Other people have mentioned Chelsea as potential buyers; I don't think Chelsea would buy him as I think they would go for more globally established players. I could see him end up at Everton; one team that hasn't been mentioned is Glasgow Rangers who apparently he supports (but as they have little money, I doubt they would be able to buy him, perhaps a loan?)
I can see why Heskey and Smith have been compared, both are strikers, neither seem prolific or "natural" finishers. Also neither has played the full season up front (Heskey seems to constantly put anywhere but upfront, hence his decision to leave and Smith seems to always drop extremely deep).
Regarding the issue of Smith becoming a traitor if he leaves Leeds to join Man Utd, could you blame him? He is trying to further his career, he wants to win things. He worked his socks off for the past 6 or so years he's been playing in the first team, what has it got him (other than a fat pay cheque). Man Utd are still one of the biggest teams around, you are almost guaranteed international football and winners medals.
Also, if he is a Ranger's fan, then he will get to work with one of the most successful ex-Rangers Managers of relatively recent times Walter Smith, who would say no to that :P
Sun 23/05/04 at 20:51
Regular
"Better Than You"
I thought you did not like football . . . now your going on about it like you know the game inside out.

I think it would be a bad move Smith going to United, I think he would do better at a good lower Premiership team if you get what I mean, like Liverpool or Newcastle.
Sun 23/05/04 at 20:46
"©opy Right™"
i think he would be good at united because they have the faciliteis for him to thrive in and become a better player but as you said he wouldnt be the star playuer.
Sun 23/05/04 at 02:21
Regular
Not all, but for the home ones I miss in the Premiership between Leeds and Newcastle I make up for them in Europe/Cup etc.
Sat 22/05/04 at 21:08
Regular
"Colourless"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> He is that good, in your words "I should know I watch him play
> nearly every week".

Yes but you don't seem to know how to listen to a word that comes out of my mouth.

Apparently I go to watch West Ham every week, even though I support Chelsea....

You watch him play every week? So does that mean you go to every away game?
Sat 22/05/04 at 18:11
"High polygon count"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I think you will find it does considering he played 14 games in
> central midfield two seasons back.

Okay, but still less than a season and a half out of six.

But whatever, I'm not getting into another long, drawn-out and pointless argument with you.

Simple fact is, I said he was on a par with Heskey (also not always a regular first choice striker, and frequently played on the wing by Houllier), and you disputed it.

I've posted the stats that back it up for all to see, so everyone can make up their own minds.

That's the end of this particular discussion, as far as I'm concerned.
Sat 22/05/04 at 17:51
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Give Smith a season in his natural position and he will silence all
> those saying he is just a Leeds lad, Smithy is much much more.

Fergie will probably play him right wing :D

Probably likely, considering how many times solskjaer (a nautural finisher) has played on the right.
Sat 22/05/04 at 16:55
Regular
He is that good, in your words "I should know I watch him play nearly every week".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.