GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is 3 guitarists too much?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/05/04 at 18:09
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Ok, so I'm in this new band. We're all experienced musicians and we all have the same influences etc., but we have 3 guitarists. As you would expect, most people who hear about us say "Isn't three guitarists overkill?", but i'm not sure, it worked for Iron Maiden, right? And Lynyrd Skynyrd (Sweet Home Alabama!!!), and the soloing possibilities are endless: Twin lead solos with chords, harmonizing with chords, three guitars harmonizing!!! It would sound great, but what do you do for the rest of the song? Its damn near impossible to write a riff for three guitar parts, so we'll probably end up with one of us just having to miss out a bit of the song while the other 2 player. So anyway, three guitarists: Rock and roll, or bordering on Busted?
Wed 05/05/04 at 13:44
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Bands like Zwan had 3 guitarists. Made an excellent sound, if you really listened and heard the three various pieces intertwining.

But probably what made them fall apart most - Corgan, Pajo and Sweeney battling it out..
Wed 05/05/04 at 12:30
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
Hondo Maclean do it on some of their songs and it sounds awesome.

www.hondomaclean.com

Download one of their songs, they kick a$$.
Wed 05/05/04 at 11:09
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Nothing wrong with 3 guitarists, allows you the opportunity to add multiple layers to your music or failing that doubling up on a particular part to give it a beefier sound.
Tue 04/05/04 at 22:38
Regular
"You've upset me"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
You can play octaves, or different chord voicings,

Exactly what I was going to suggest

> and I'm beginning to stray into jazz territory now :-D.

Exactly what I was thinking :-D
Tue 04/05/04 at 19:54
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Well, if you want a job done, get a professional. Even if it's for a talentless pop group.

3 guitars? Damn good idea, should go down well, seeing as most bands have one or two.
Tue 04/05/04 at 19:11
Regular
"Colourless"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Busted only have two guitarists. The third one plays bass.

Oh are triggyhappyrocker or whatever's band having 3 guitarists and a bass. Will be quite a thick timbre...

Busted also have an invisible drummer so I wouldn't put it past them having another guitarist hidden somewhere.

Actually did anyone see them on Jonathon Woss, where their drum was this huge, muscular bruiser with a goatee and tattoos. He looked so funny playing drums and jamming to the Teen Pop band that Busted are....
Tue 04/05/04 at 19:08
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Generally you only need two, one for the base and the other one for hooks, the only time i've ever noticed 3 was on hotel california, and that was largely unneccesary.
Tue 04/05/04 at 19:05
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Busted only have two guitarists. The third one plays bass.
Tue 04/05/04 at 18:51
Regular
"Colourless"
It "worked" for Busted.

Edit: Ugh just actually read the post, and realised that Busted has already been mentioned.
Tue 04/05/04 at 18:37
"I love yo... lamp."
The issue is not going to be can three guitarists play together, they can and you gave proof. The issue is going to be ego and roles.

In the past, when I've been in knock about bands, I'm lead guitarist. I can solo better and faster than whoever plays rythm. Which is good, because I'm crap at rythm. But once in a while I would cede and let the other guy have his five minutes of glory. With three guitarists that gets harder to accomplish, keeping everyone happy.

Still, if you can work out the role issues, finding three guitar parts need not be that difficult. For some things, double up the guitars. Lots of people like Vai and Satriani for instance re-record parts to thicken the sound. Play one guitar on the extreme left, and one on the extreme right to get a panning sound, similar to a phasor, but not if you know what I mean. Different channels gives different sounds remember. You can play octaves, or different chord voicings, and I'm beginning to stray into jazz territory now :-D.

Three guitars also works for having a backing track and dual solos over the top. The only thing I would say is going to be necessary for it to work properly is different equipment and sound. See, whilst Iron Maiden have three guitarists, you could take one of them away and not really notice, because mostly, they have the same sound going on. So you really need to have at least one person on a Strat or Tele. To give a cutting sound. And someone else on a humbucker equipped guitar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.