GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is 3 guitarists too much?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/05/04 at 18:09
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Ok, so I'm in this new band. We're all experienced musicians and we all have the same influences etc., but we have 3 guitarists. As you would expect, most people who hear about us say "Isn't three guitarists overkill?", but i'm not sure, it worked for Iron Maiden, right? And Lynyrd Skynyrd (Sweet Home Alabama!!!), and the soloing possibilities are endless: Twin lead solos with chords, harmonizing with chords, three guitars harmonizing!!! It would sound great, but what do you do for the rest of the song? Its damn near impossible to write a riff for three guitar parts, so we'll probably end up with one of us just having to miss out a bit of the song while the other 2 player. So anyway, three guitarists: Rock and roll, or bordering on Busted?
Sat 08/05/04 at 12:18
Regular
I hate Busted more then any band in the world

But you have to respect them in some way, yes they play like one power chord (or do they play at all?) but they have inspired quite a lot of people to pick up the guitar and start playing.

Which is good.

But I still hate any cheesy guitar-pop band. I hope they die.
Sat 08/05/04 at 12:16
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Ok, I'll amend that:
> Comparing Zakk Wylde to Busted is like comparing Morbid Angel to the
> Cheeky Girls; ie a pointless comparison because they're so different
> from each other.

Er, thats the whole point. Zakk Wylde beating the f**k out of busted? not amusing? o wel, maybe its just me and my hatred of boy bands.
Fri 07/05/04 at 21:53
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Ok, I'll amend that:
Comparing Zakk Wylde to Busted is like comparing Morbid Angel to the Cheeky Girls; ie a pointless comparison because they're so different from each other.
Fri 07/05/04 at 21:38
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Comparing Zakk Wylde to Busted is like comparing Morbid Angel to the
> Cheeky Girls.

Exactly, the point is him and slash both despise cheesy pop bands that think theyre rock bands but cant actually play a single note. Yeah, Zakk vs. charlie, god that would rock!
Fri 07/05/04 at 21:35
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Another rather cunning plan is to hav some of the guitars in different tuning. one could be in standard (E,A,D,G,B,e), one maybe a tone-and-a-half down (C#,F#,B,E,G#,c#) and one with heavier strings in nashville tuning (A,E,A,D,G,b). Actually thats a bit extreme, but you get the general idea.
Fri 07/05/04 at 21:27
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Comparing Zakk Wylde to Busted is like comparing Morbid Angel to the Cheeky Girls.
Fri 07/05/04 at 21:13
Regular
"SOUP!"
Deftones have three.

It's a kind of given if you plan on being particularly heavy or varied in styles, for example take a song that has a heavy chorus, a distorted rhythmn and a 'different' bridge, if you have all three guitarists with different pedals or amp settings then this will be easier to acheive.

Also if all three guitarists play the same chords at the same time it will be very heavy (if thats the intention).

My band has two guitarists, lead and rhythmn. It's quite traditional.

Drummer, bassist, vocals, Rhythmn guitar and vocals, lead guitar
Fri 07/05/04 at 21:09
Regular
"The Red Shift"
pb wrote:
> What do you call a group of guitarists, though?

this threads hit feature. BUSTED!

alternatively i would suggest a string
Fri 07/05/04 at 21:03
"possibly impossible"
What do you call a group of guitarists, though?

A string? A pluck?...
Fri 07/05/04 at 20:44
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
triggerhappyrocker wrote:
> the soloing possibilities are endless

This alone is reason enough not to have three guitarists ;)

An entire gig's worth of guitar solos would drive anyone but the most obsessed of guitarists nuts!

We do have four guitaists in the SR house band, though...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.