GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"AOL? Think Twice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/04/04 at 11:46
"Majestic"
SR posters,

Actually AOL stands for Aload of ludicrousness (thats the best i can come up with)

I've been a AOL customer for ages now, and i just recently got AOL
Broadband. I was the happiest guy alive when AOL broadband arrived, and i had 2 months of happy
fast surfing.

3 weeks ago, AOL started to disconnect, so i decided to ring their useless helpline.
After 2 hours of tweaking settings on my computer - they decided that my modem was faulty.
"your new modem will be with you in 5 days"

7 days later, i got my new modem. Eagar to try it, i plugged the black little box in.
5 minutes later, it disconnected me again. Back onto AOL help, where i had to explain my problem all over
again---

Insisting that it was my computer at fault i formatted my machine. Now its just a blank canvas,
with AOL & antivirus. But still my problem persists. AOL help are running out of things to say
at this moment in time.

"it must be your internal house wiring" sorry AOL, we tested for this, and its defiantly ok.

3 weeks they've messed me about, and still no answer - 3 weeks @ a pound a day = 21 pound down the drain.

Gave them a rollicking the other day, so they've put me on 56k for FREE for the time being.
But its not free when i'm still paying for broadband is it? i've still got a whopping 8
months on my contract, if i could turn back time, AOL wouldn't have my custom now.

Thanks for reading,
An unhappy AOL customer.

[I] This was written, and then corrected by AOL's spell checker. That spell checker regards AOL as a missspelt word of "ALL", what does that tell you, eh?
Wed 28/04/04 at 22:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> DiscoDexy wrote:
> Thanks again mate, I've just been on a ISP comparing guide. Wanadoo
> looked really good a 18 pound a month for 512k. But then a saw that
> 2GB monthly mark.
>
> That means i will be limited to what sites i go on, and online
> gaming
> won't it? If i use alot of sites with quicktime, and have a blast on
> call of duty for an hour every month, and maybe download a few PC
> demos then 2GB won't be good enough - will it?
>
> It won't do at all. I've managed to use 400 MB in one day just
> surfing heavily. Get an uncapped subscription.

Yeah uncapped is well worth the extra few £'s. DiscoDexy becareful when looking for a new ISP as a few have introduced cheap packages which are on a limited download size.
Wed 28/04/04 at 22:37
"I love yo... lamp."
DiscoDexy wrote:
> Thanks again mate, I've just been on a ISP comparing guide. Wanadoo
> looked really good a 18 pound a month for 512k. But then a saw that
> 2GB monthly mark.
>
> That means i will be limited to what sites i go on, and online gaming
> won't it? If i use alot of sites with quicktime, and have a blast on
> call of duty for an hour every month, and maybe download a few PC
> demos then 2GB won't be good enough - will it?

It won't do at all. I've managed to use 400 MB in one day just surfing heavily. Get an uncapped subscription.
Wed 28/04/04 at 22:35
Regular
"Digging!"
I use Pipex, which give a very good service. I don't know about NDO tho.
Wed 28/04/04 at 22:29
"Majestic"
NDO's 23.50 package doesnt look too shabby. Anybody rate this company?
Wed 28/04/04 at 21:05
Regular
"Not a Jew"
AOL = Rubbish.

I have them, and they are useless. I get disconnected all the time so I got Sygate Firewall. Now, AOL regularly scan me and try to disconnect my PC if it is idle for a while, but Sygate keep those scum out.
Wed 28/04/04 at 19:26
"Majestic"
Thanks again mate, I've just been on a ISP comparing guide. Wanadoo looked really good a 18 pound a month for 512k. But then a saw that 2GB monthly mark.

That means i will be limited to what sites i go on, and online gaming won't it? If i use alot of sites with quicktime, and have a blast on call of duty for an hour every month, and maybe download a few PC demos then 2GB won't be good enough - will it?
Wed 28/04/04 at 19:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Look on [URL]http://www.adslguide.org.uk[/URL] as you can see all of the ISPs and see which are good and bad. Pipex are one of the best and for £23.44 you can get 512K and then for £33.99 you can get 1Mb. If you live around London and what a faster service then Bulldog are the ones to go for as they use LLU to give up to 6Mb. But its mainly the London area that gets it as well as being a good £90 a month and only 6Mb at offpeak times.

If your cancelling then you may have to migrate to another ISP, this means that you can only go to a similar service, i.e 512K to 512K. So if you did want 1Mb and migrated you would have to get there 512K service and then upgrade to 1Mb.
Wed 28/04/04 at 18:50
"Majestic"
gamezfreak wrote:
> I don't mean to be offensive towards you, you seem an intelligent
> bloke, but AOL is primarily designed for retards. People who are
> computer illiterate, and consistantly use phrases like "i'm
> downloading word onto my floppy disk", "my computer is
> being slow, I think the processor is full" - AOL is designed to
> make their lifes easier, by allowing them to just get on the internet
> and surf away, none of this messing around with network settings
> lark.
>
> I suggest moving ISP when your contract runs out .

AOL has decided to let me cancel my contract 8 months early, because they can't sort my problem out. I knew more than the guy on the phone. Anyway, it will be cancelled tommorow morning, and some other, more deserving company will get my 30 quid a month.

Thanks for everybodys time in this matter, my advice is stay away from AOL.

Whats the website for watchdog? ;)
Wed 28/04/04 at 18:20
Regular
I don't mean to be offensive towards you, you seem an intelligent bloke, but AOL is primarily designed for retards. People who are computer illiterate, and consistantly use phrases like "i'm downloading word onto my floppy disk", "my computer is being slow, I think the processor is full" - AOL is designed to make their lifes easier, by allowing them to just get on the internet and surf away, none of this messing around with network settings lark.

I suggest moving ISP when your contract runs out .
Wed 28/04/04 at 18:05
Regular
C'mon, BT Broadband isn't as bad as it's stereotyped to be. Yes, there are better service out there like Pipex and Bulldog, but BT are pretty damn good these days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.