GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"AOL? Think Twice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/04/04 at 11:46
"Majestic"
SR posters,

Actually AOL stands for Aload of ludicrousness (thats the best i can come up with)

I've been a AOL customer for ages now, and i just recently got AOL
Broadband. I was the happiest guy alive when AOL broadband arrived, and i had 2 months of happy
fast surfing.

3 weeks ago, AOL started to disconnect, so i decided to ring their useless helpline.
After 2 hours of tweaking settings on my computer - they decided that my modem was faulty.
"your new modem will be with you in 5 days"

7 days later, i got my new modem. Eagar to try it, i plugged the black little box in.
5 minutes later, it disconnected me again. Back onto AOL help, where i had to explain my problem all over
again---

Insisting that it was my computer at fault i formatted my machine. Now its just a blank canvas,
with AOL & antivirus. But still my problem persists. AOL help are running out of things to say
at this moment in time.

"it must be your internal house wiring" sorry AOL, we tested for this, and its defiantly ok.

3 weeks they've messed me about, and still no answer - 3 weeks @ a pound a day = 21 pound down the drain.

Gave them a rollicking the other day, so they've put me on 56k for FREE for the time being.
But its not free when i'm still paying for broadband is it? i've still got a whopping 8
months on my contract, if i could turn back time, AOL wouldn't have my custom now.

Thanks for reading,
An unhappy AOL customer.

[I] This was written, and then corrected by AOL's spell checker. That spell checker regards AOL as a missspelt word of "ALL", what does that tell you, eh?
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:58
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
AOL sucks, my friend can only connect half the time and when that happens it is seriously slow. A good BB service is Ntlworld or Freeola BB. With Freeola you can get loads of freeola domin names free and unlimited webspace. This means if you have a website you can upload as much as you like for FREE as long as you have a Freeola BB connection.
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:57
"Majestic"
To AOL one customer doesnt matter.
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:42
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
have they even bothered to report this to BT, it sounds like a problem between your house and the exchange
Thu 29/04/04 at 18:52
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I have AOL 56k.
It is rubbish, but it is better than nothing at all.
See? I can be something other than pessimistic.
Thu 29/04/04 at 17:19
"Majestic"
I've cancelled AOL now, what a lengthy process.

We had a chat with our BT friend and he had this insider information to say:

"Basically, your line to the exchange won't be working right. AOL have to pay a large fee to BT to repair these lines if that line is a AOL customers line." He added "AOL would rather end the contract then pay a fee to keep one customer (me) afloat"
--which may i add is the wrong way to deal with things.

Also my cousin uses AOL 56k, and this service was recently slowed down form 44bps to an average of 9bps. This would make any sane man frustrated - one of AOL's scams to make frustated 56kers migrate to AOL broadband.

[B]Do not use AO Hell

God bless America [S]online
Thu 29/04/04 at 11:59
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
As no one else has mentioned it, if your going to drop AOL (sensible option) and migrate to Pipex, then I'd suggest you wipe your machine clean and reinstall all your programs, that way you get rid of the rubbish AOL install that seems to take over everything and anything on your computer.

I'm now on my 2nd Pipex ADSL line, have just got another 512k line installed at my new house, took 7 days from order to activation, fantastic customer service and probably the best ISP for BB around, plus you get access to emails unlike BT Openworld where you have to pay extra to access thier SMTP servers even though your paying £25 + per month for BB :O

Good luck with Pipex :)
Thu 29/04/04 at 11:35
"Majestic"
I'm going to go with Pipex, seems to be the best, and cheapest option open to me. Off to cancel my AOL now, wish me luck :)
Thu 29/04/04 at 10:03
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
DiscoDexy wrote:
> Thanks for being a great help through all this. On the ADSL forums
> some people are very happy with NDO, others are not. But its the same
> with Pipex, somebody says something bad, and somebody says something
> good.
>
> Aol however have the longest list of negative comments i've ever seen

No probs.

Tiscali also have a pretty long list of unhappy people. Think that if you stay away from them and Virgin as they too have problems. Suppose all ISPs have problems from time to time or the odd customer. You could go with NDO especially if its a month by month contract. Pipex have a month by month contract but ask you to pay the connection fee of £58 if you cancel with in 12 months which is pretty reasonable as they have paid the connection fee for you.
Thu 29/04/04 at 09:48
"Majestic"
adrian wrote:
> Check the forums on ADSL guide to see what people are saying about
> NDO, see if people are having problems.

Thanks for being a great help through all this. On the ADSL forums some people are very happy with NDO, others are not. But its the same with Pipex, somebody says something bad, and somebody says something good.

Aol however have the longest list of negative comments i've ever seen
Wed 28/04/04 at 23:02
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
DiscoDexy wrote:
> NDO's 23.50 package doesnt look too shabby. Anybody rate this company?

Never heard of them. To be honest Pipex are slightly cheaper and offer the same things and more. Pipex are the 4th largest ADSL ISP behind BT, Freeserve(Wanadoo) and AO HELL :D. Personally I would recommend them as I can say from experience that they provide a cheap and reliable connection 24/7.

Check the forums on ADSL guide to see what people are saying about NDO, see if people are having problems.

Other ISPs which are good are Nildram, Plusnet, Eclipse and Zen. Ones to stay away from are Tiscali and Virgin.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.