GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Actual Download speed on a 1mb connection?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/04/04 at 14:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hello, i will be getting 1mb broadband soon and im wondering if there is anyone out there who has it already that can tell me what sort of download speeds i can expect?

Obviously it varies from provider to provider, but im looking for a ball park figure.

:)
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:40
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I get around 123 - 125 kb/s on BT Broadband 1mb.

Thats very good speed. What do you get from [URL]http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp[/URL] as that seems almost perfect if not a little more than normal. I can get bursts up to 123-124kb/s but the average at best would be around 120-121kb/s which is about right for 1Mb.
Sun 25/04/04 at 20:10
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
adrian wrote:
> Hope you understand all of this

Of course...

*Head spins*
Sun 25/04/04 at 19:15
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
On NTL 1MB:

Downstream 863 Kbps (107.9 KB/sec) 932 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 248 Kbps (31.0 KB/sec) 267 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Sun 25/04/04 at 18:13
Regular
I get around 123 - 125 kb/s on BT Broadband 1mb.
Sun 25/04/04 at 17:45
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ADSL 1Mb actually connects at 1.1Mb or 1152K because over overheads in getting to the exchange etc.

Speed tests are a bit misleading as they offen are only small files and depend on the ping, have a modem and the ping is a few ms slower and you get a wrong result. Using the ADSL guide test at [URL]www.adslguide.org.uk[/URL] I get about 118Kb/s, but I can easily get 120kb/s and other tests show this to be a little higher.

One thing to do as soon as you get ADSL is to tweak your connection settings. There is a program to tweak the settings which is called DrTCP. The values to change are the maximum transmission unit(MTU) and the receive window(RWIN).

MTU is bascially how many bytes is sent in one packet, ethernet is 1500, and typically the best values for ADSL have been 1430, 1458, 1472 and 1478 depending on the hardward, varies from person to person.

RWIN is also very important as its the amount of data the connection at the other end will send you before it needs and acknowledgement back from you. Have the setting too high and corrupted packets can occur, have it too low and the speed can be capped due to the connection pausing data it sends before an acknowledgement is receive.

RWIN is also determined on the MTU so to work out a relative RWIN you take the MTU value for example 1430 and then take away 40 leaving 1390. You then would multiple by a number for 512K service 10 has been the number so leaving a 13900 RWIN. 1Mb typically can use the same RWIN, but as its twice as fast as 512K sites that are far away can become capped, so I use 19 as the multiplier.

As I have said the RWIN value determines the amount of data you can receive before the other end needs an acknowledgement, being further away increases the ping time and therefore increases the time it takes for an acknowledgement to be received. So a higher RWIN is needed for 1Mb if you want to get any sort of decent speed from sites which may be 100ms or more away.

Hope you understand all of this, as it really is important to have a tweaked connection as your going to be able to get the best out of your ADSL.
Sun 25/04/04 at 14:57
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The maximum speed with no compression and a perfect line will be 128kb/s.

You're looking at 100 average though.
Sun 25/04/04 at 14:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hello, i will be getting 1mb broadband soon and im wondering if there is anyone out there who has it already that can tell me what sort of download speeds i can expect?

Obviously it varies from provider to provider, but im looking for a ball park figure.

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.