GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Actual Download speed on a 1mb connection?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/04/04 at 14:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hello, i will be getting 1mb broadband soon and im wondering if there is anyone out there who has it already that can tell me what sort of download speeds i can expect?

Obviously it varies from provider to provider, but im looking for a ball park figure.

:)
Thu 20/05/04 at 15:01
Regular
Yeh I know, hence the "512k" bit :P
Wed 19/05/04 at 23:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
MJ wrote:
> This is what I get with my "512kb/s Blueyonder" line :)
> Shame about the upload, but the whole 50% faster deal thing is great.
>
>
> Downstream 720 Kbps (90.0 KB/sec) 777 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> Upstream 120 Kbps (15.0 KB/sec) 129 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Well its not 512K any more but 750K or something like that. Well 50% more should mean 768K so looks like your getting that speed at least.
Wed 19/05/04 at 22:49
Regular
This is what I get with my "512kb/s Blueyonder" line :) Shame about the upload, but the whole 50% faster deal thing is great.

Downstream 720 Kbps (90.0 KB/sec) 777 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 120 Kbps (15.0 KB/sec) 129 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Mon 17/05/04 at 22:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
phi11ip wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I read that the further away the exchange is, the
> higher the ping although there are loads of other points to take into
> account too.

Well think of it in logical terms, for ADSL the max distance is 6000m or maybe 6500m for 150K, 250K and 512K. Considering you could be in Scotland and ping a London server in under 20ms then 6500m compared to only being 500m is not going to impact on that ping time at all. The best way to get a lower ping is to use a router rather than a USB modem, as a USB modem can be a few ms slower than a router.
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:43
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
A-Tech Systems wrote:
> I should not mater what distance you are for the exchange at all.

Copper wires are slower than the fibre optic cables that they have under the sea.

I'm pretty sure I read that the further away the exchange is, the higher the ping although there are loads of other points to take into account too.
Sun 16/05/04 at 22:35
Regular
I should not mater what distance you are for the exchange at all.
You connection speed depends on what router/systems your connection goes through and how fast they are or their work load at the time.
As for you speed (512) this is more of an average speed, it depends on how many other users are on the same banwidth (contention ratio) so you may get less than 512 or you may get more.
You will NEVER be guaranteed a speed of 512 on broadband!
The same goes for a Dialup apart from that the contention ratio is worse!
You can only get broadband if you live within a certain distance of an exchange due the the quality (lack of) of the BT copper phone lines.
If you live out of this range or on the edge of it you will have severe problem with your service.
Sun 16/05/04 at 16:18
"I love yo... lamp."
I run it frequently. Ran it again there and got lower results, an actual dowload speed of 62.3 KBps which is a touch disappointing. Lowest I've had in ages. 32.9 KBps actual upload speed. Estimated true download 538 Kbps, upload 284 Kbps.

Oh and that was with no compression. The downloads I mean.
Sun 16/05/04 at 15:31
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I guess I'm just connected faster than I should be then. Actually,
> downloading a trailer the other night I sustained 78 kBps for half an
> hour. I also get sub 25 ms ping times. Don't know why I get such a
> good ADSL connection but I'm not complaining.
>
> Either there is something wrong with BT's system, or there is a tiny
> contention ratio, or living so close to the exchange helps. Not sure.
> I'm happy with it anyway!

Post a result from [URL]http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp[/URL] as 78K/s is impossible on a 512K line. Sub 25ms pings is normal on ADSL, I have 1Mb and in UT2004 have got about 15ms even lower than that. Also go to [URL]http://www.ocean.zen.co.uk[/URL] download the 100Mb file and see how long it takes.

As I have said the max for a 512k line is 64K/s so contention wouldnt play into it as contention would mean you get slower. The only possible explaination for the faster speed is compression. When I had 56K I could get some files from Kazaa at 512K ADSL speeds, I mean I was getting 10 times faster than what 56K would do, why? Because the file was a blank movie file and the connection had 99% compression(look on the connection status). So if you get a figure bigger than 0% on the connection status then you would get some extra speed. On ADSL I have never noticed the compression changing.
Sun 16/05/04 at 15:03
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
fiƒi[oV] wrote:
> Usual download here is somewhere around 119k/sec...ntl 1mbit

I'm pretty sure that some people have already got their 1.5MB on NTL.

[S]EDIT: I quoted the wrong bit of the message, oh well...[S]
Sun 16/05/04 at 14:55
"I love yo... lamp."
I guess I'm just connected faster than I should be then. Actually, downloading a trailer the other night I sustained 78 kBps for half an hour. I also get sub 25 ms ping times. Don't know why I get such a good ADSL connection but I'm not complaining.

Either there is something wrong with BT's system, or there is a tiny contention ratio, or living so close to the exchange helps. Not sure. I'm happy with it anyway!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.