GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Finding Nemo not funny"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/04/04 at 17:56
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I can see why this film was so successful at the cinema as it is a truly outstanding visual feast of colour and animation. Of course when people watched it at the cinema they didn't notice the lack of humour or decent characters. Thus when the DVD came out everyone thought that they had to own it. I bet many people watched it again and thought "not as good as I remembered".

I mean how funny were those sharks? Not very. Also their motto "fish are our friends" doesn't make sense. Sharks are fish too. The main adult fish (I've forgotten all the characters names already as they were so unmemorable) was voiced by that fat lad who got eaten in Jurassic park by the Spittsaurus and didn't suit his character (they usually look and reflect the persona of the voice actor playing them), and Nemo's female companion was just annoying. I know she was meant to be but she was too annoying.

Also I don't understand why they didn't have Nemo start off in a fish tank and end up in the Ocean...

The end scene WAS funny though.
Fri 16/04/04 at 18:21
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> I find Pixar just fine they way they are, there are very subtle
> subversions in the films ("Humans, thinking they own
> everything!" "Bet they're American" for example), but
> they also retain enough childlike wonder to make me smile like a
> retard whilst watching them.

Yeah, but sometime I get the feeling they would like to be a bit more risky with their humour. Probably just me though.

> And, personally, it's the smaller things that made me love Nemo -
> like when Marlin is following Dory at first, she's speeding to the
> boat and then gradually slows to a lazy arc....just perfectly
> observed, non-verbal character moments like that. Or the little squid
> thing crying when it falls off the bouncy-sponge at the start.
>
> Genius company and haven't seen a Pixar I haven't loved yet.

It all was (and still is) summed up for me personally with "Luxor Junior". I remember being absolutely *gobsmacked* the first time I saw it. How two household objects could have so much personailty, and *differnt* personalities at that was astountine.

Oh class. I didn't realise the shorts were online! [URL]http://www.pixar.com/shorts/ljr/theater/index.html[/URL]

Oh, thats great. I'm off to watch these for a while. :) :) :)

One happy bunny now.
Fri 16/04/04 at 18:18
Regular
This thread stinks of little people thinking they are too "grown up" to like cartoons :D

Finding Nemo rocks, the little guy is disabled, fights the world, overcomes his fathers prejudice and ultimately kicks the ass of the world which hates him :D

Enough of the psychobabble rant, this film rules :D

How many other films have you seen where they actually call something Mount HochALoogie?

Or have a complete parody of alcoholism in the shape of a shark and showing kids that it isn't easy to overcome your addictions?

Eh, well, someone who has obviously looked at this film at lengthy depth can tell me why it is a BAD film, then I will listen to them for all of, a few seconds then I'll slap them with a wet trout :D
Fri 16/04/04 at 18:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I find Pixar just fine they way they are, there are very subtle subversions in the films ("Humans, thinking they own everything!" "Bet they're American" for example), but they also retain enough childlike wonder to make me smile like a retard whilst watching them.

And, personally, it's the smaller things that made me love Nemo - like when Marlin is following Dory at first, she's speeding to the boat and then gradually slows to a lazy arc....just perfectly observed, non-verbal character moments like that. Or the little squid thing crying when it falls off the bouncy-sponge at the start.

Genius company and haven't seen a Pixar I haven't loved yet.
Fri 16/04/04 at 18:02
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Blank wrote:
> It still makes sense in a "Shrek is better than all the Pixar
> films" way, but who knows what he really meant.

Good point. I didn't notice that. Lets hope Pixar have a subversive change of heart when *eventually* the studio gets free from the shackles of Disney.

On a side note (and to avoid a second post) I remember watching the 'Knick Knack' feature on the Nemo dvd and remembering why I started to love the animation style in general. The comic timing is still *perfect*
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:56
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
It still makes sense in a "Shrek is better than all the Pixar films" way, but who knows what he really meant.
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Er...Shrek wasn't Pixar, it was Dreamworks.
Fri 16/04/04 at 14:51
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Silent Scope wrote:
> Dunno why but Shrek stands out from all the films pixar have made for
> me..

Shrek has got a cruel sense of humour about it I must admit.
Fri 16/04/04 at 14:49
Regular
Dunno why but Shrek stands out above anything pixar has done..
Fri 16/04/04 at 12:31
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i'm looking forward to The Incredibles, Final Fantasy: Advent Children, Ghost in the Shell 2, the new Appleseed movie.

erm... yeah, in that order i think, except FF:AC and The Incredibles are joint first :)

The Incredibles has been quicker to make than the previous pixar movies since they've built a renderfarm with specs that can only be described as ridiculous:

"Pixar's new RenderFarm, used to create the digital images for each frame of animation in its movies, will consist of 1024 Intel® Xeon™ processors inside of eight new RackSaver BladeRack supercomputing clusters running Pixar's own RenderMan® software. The RenderFarm features two terabytes of memory and 60 terabytes of disk space. Each Intel Xeon processor at 2.8 GHz is about five times faster than the older RISC-based processors in Pixar's outgoing RenderFarm. Pixar is using the system for its film, "The Incredibles," scheduled for a 2004 release."

utterly ridiculous!! :)
although i'd love to see how fast it fully renders a frame. When making Toy Story, each frame was so large that only a single frame would fit on a cd, so it worked out cheaper to build a new renderfarm in Australia than to render all frames to cd and ship them out there :)
Fri 16/04/04 at 12:21
Regular
I enjoyed Finding Nemo, I found it more of a "Light Entertainment" type film. You generally don't have to pay attention to any twisted complicated storylines, you can just watch it and enjoy the genius that radiates from the production.

I found it brilliant too be honest, But I am generally a Pixar fan, I loved Toy Story and Monsters Inc, I just find each film superb.

I'm looking forward to the Incredibles more then anything!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.