GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Overclocking past a max FSB"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/04/04 at 23:01
Regular
"Nobody Home"
ok, so my motherboard in one of my PCs has a 333mhz FSB. I just installed a 2800+ Barton into it (on a GA-7VAXP Rev1.1 Mobo).

Its on an FSB of 334 atm, never exactly on the said FSB as always.

Anyway, on a mobo with a 333mhz FSB, how much further over that could I get? I just raid in PC format I could put a better northbridge cooler on and put the excisting cooler on the southbridge to get further past the max FSB. This work!?

Thanks for any help.

Dan.
Mon 19/04/04 at 18:52
Regular
"Nobody Home"
?
Sun 18/04/04 at 22:06
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Well, I rebooted. It worked.

Turned off, Turned on. It worked.

Must just be when I play Americas Army. Its the only one that causes this?
Sun 18/04/04 at 21:59
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Well, I had a drama earlier. Was playing Americas Army and game crashed on me to a "BLACK" Screen of death. Then, when hit reboot and it wouldn't turn back on, powered up, but no display. The sign of a knackered PSU.

So. I switched off, left it for 20 seconds, turned on, worked. Its done it before when playing Americas Army so i knew the drill. I then booted into CMOS, reset FSB to 166.

Then I saw that my RAM was set to a disgusting 2.5, so I changed it to 2. Saved and Exited. It failed to turn on again. I did same drill, turned on. I checked CLS again, and it was still at 2. Therefor it wasnt the RAM setting.

I saved again and it worked. When i got into Windows it said it was a driver error according to the crash analysis. BS. Drivers have no effect during POST, so if it was a driver it shouldn't have failed to POST on save and exit in BIOS.

I think my PSU is screwed, or slowly dieing. No money though, so I hope it isn't.

Any thoughts?
Sun 18/04/04 at 18:26
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Nope, voltages make no difference. 1.8 odd V about 44oC.

Must be modem or KT333 Chipset :P. Will try again without modem at a later date.
Sun 18/04/04 at 18:19
Regular
"Nobody Home"
yeah, i do :D Will try voltages now.
Sun 18/04/04 at 18:12
"I love yo... lamp."
Yeah, a quick check tells me that you'll probably need 1.75 - 1.8 V to reach high 2300's or more.
Sun 18/04/04 at 18:10
"I love yo... lamp."
Put the Vcore up, to reach 2.4 GHz I'd be thinking you'll need a fair bit. Try 1.7V, then the smallest increments up to about 1.8V and see how you go. Also note the temps at the time.

For future reference, to push the RAM higher than spec, up the Vdimm. You are running it below spec at the moment, so it isn't an issue.

What you really need is a better mobo.
Sun 18/04/04 at 18:07
Regular
"Nobody Home"
o, and it is actually overclocked in the BIOS, but I just screenshotted easytune as it displays everythin.
Sun 18/04/04 at 18:05
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Or find a screenshot here: http://www.djdd.co.uk/2800.JPG
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:40
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Frequencies

FSB - 184mhz
DRAM - 368mhz
AGP - 73mhz
PCI - 36mhz

Main Voltages

CPU - 1.676V
Dimm - 2.500V
AGP - 1.500V

Temps (oC)

Ambient - 39oC
CPU - 36oC

Voltages

VCoreA - 1.660
+3.3V - 3.340
+5 - 4.910
+12 - 12.160
+5sb (what is this one?) - 5.020

Im Gonna remove the modem when my broadband arrives and its all up and running, then pop it back in when its needed should my connection ever go down. Could it be the modem thats causing it to be limited? And if I remove the modem will the PCI mhzage not matter, cos I will then have no PCI devices?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.