GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Overclocking past a max FSB"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/04/04 at 23:01
Regular
"Nobody Home"
ok, so my motherboard in one of my PCs has a 333mhz FSB. I just installed a 2800+ Barton into it (on a GA-7VAXP Rev1.1 Mobo).

Its on an FSB of 334 atm, never exactly on the said FSB as always.

Anyway, on a mobo with a 333mhz FSB, how much further over that could I get? I just raid in PC format I could put a better northbridge cooler on and put the excisting cooler on the southbridge to get further past the max FSB. This work!?

Thanks for any help.

Dan.
Mon 12/04/04 at 23:01
Regular
"Nobody Home"
ok, so my motherboard in one of my PCs has a 333mhz FSB. I just installed a 2800+ Barton into it (on a GA-7VAXP Rev1.1 Mobo).

Its on an FSB of 334 atm, never exactly on the said FSB as always.

Anyway, on a mobo with a 333mhz FSB, how much further over that could I get? I just raid in PC format I could put a better northbridge cooler on and put the excisting cooler on the southbridge to get further past the max FSB. This work!?

Thanks for any help.

Dan.
Tue 13/04/04 at 22:17
Regular
"Nobody Home"
*bump*
Tue 13/04/04 at 22:26
Regular
how long is a piece of string? the speed you can get it from raising your front side bus all depends on the memory you are using and how good it is and how good the cpu is at overclocking, Putting a better heatsink and fan on the northbridge and putting the existing one on the southbridge will not really make much differance unless your memory\cpu is able to handle high front side bus's, try it and see what happens.

Colin
Wed 14/04/04 at 01:59
"I love yo... lamp."
Forget about the north and south bridges for a minute. Messing around with the bridge cooling is only done when you are either having stability problems or want that little bit extra. And just cooling the bridges won't make anything faster.

Remember, the DDR speed is 2*FSB. So your FSB is 166 MHz in reality. I don't think the board will do more than this, but I'm not familiar with Gigabytes.

To get a higher FSB, you have to set it higher some how. Some times this is by a jumper on the board that changes between 100, 133, 166, 200 MHz. Some times it is in the BIOS. You may be able to raise the FSB in much smaller increments as well. I don't know for your board.

What I do know though is that just cooling the bridges themselves won't make anything run faster. You need to set it higher for that.
Wed 14/04/04 at 21:19
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I just type in a number and press enter. Thats my overclocking technique.
Wed 14/04/04 at 21:32
"I love yo... lamp."
Where do you type it in though? Type one higher than 166 then, and you've actually overclocked.
Wed 14/04/04 at 21:35
Regular
"Nobody Home"
dunno... probably. I running a 266 XP2000+ at the moment, so I aint got near 166.
Wed 14/04/04 at 21:39
"I love yo... lamp."
Depends what core it is. Palomino core Athlons don't do anything much. T-Bred B cores will do 2.7 GHz in some extreme cases, most having FSBs (RAM permitting) of 200+ MHz.
Wed 14/04/04 at 21:45
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I know that. I just wanted to know how far my new 2800+ would overclock.
Wed 14/04/04 at 22:37
"I love yo... lamp."
Depends on what the maximum FSB you can get on your board is. At 200 MHz FSB you would be running at 2.5 GHz. That would be rather high, and unlikely on that board. Also it would require a 1/6th divider, else the PCI and AGP buses would be running at 40 MHz, which is considerably out of spec. Max you can get away with running the PCI bus out of spec is approx. 36 MHz, but I wouldn't go above 35 MHz probably. That gives a max FSB of 175 MHz, giving a clock speed of 2187 MHz without changing the multiplier.

Depending on what week the chip is from, you may have an unlocked multiplier, you may not. If you do, then instead of using a 12.5 multiplier, you could keep the FSB at 166 MHz and use say a 14 multiplier to reach 2324 MHz. If it is locked, you need a better motherboard to get good overclocks out of it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.