GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Forum Moderators"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/09/09 at 17:50
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
As you all know by now it is always our aim to improve the forums and one of the steps I am taking to this aim is to get the moderating team into the mix a bit more helping out and generating a bit of traffic for the relevant sections.

So shortly you should notice a quick shuffle up of moderators and 1 moderator per section (some may continue to have 2 if needed).

Some examples of our aim here is to allow users the chance to help the site along, and take a more active role in the running of the site.

I will need some more volunteers however (1 or 2 new ones). So what I'm going to do is ask people to apply if they want to help me out as part of the forums moderating team. If you want to apply please visit APPLY NOW

Any questions ask away, and if you are very interested in helping, my contact can be used under my name as always :D
Sat 26/09/09 at 15:35
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Haha not come up with anything else you lot? :D
Sat 26/09/09 at 15:30
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Oh, I didnt realise supporting a football team with no history was required. :(
Sat 26/09/09 at 15:17
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Application failed. Because you are Garin, no other reason ;)

Plus that's my job!
Sat 26/09/09 at 15:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
True, but the last digging up of ground happened last month (ish). Its barely had time to settle again.

Anyway, I'd like to apply for the position of forum layabout. I feel my experience of never starting threads, rarely adding anything constructive and all round general apathy makes me ideally suited for the role.
Sat 26/09/09 at 14:19
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:
> EDIT: On reflection, neither the time or the place for such
> discussions. Its old ground thats been covered before, no need
> to do so again.

On reflection you are probably correct, but old ground must be revisited to see if it can be rejuvinated.
Fri 25/09/09 at 23:57
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
EDIT: On reflection, neither the time or the place for such discussions. Its old ground thats been covered before, no need to do so again.
Fri 25/09/09 at 23:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
It's the hardest thing for a website to do. Bringing in new visitors, whilst at the same time keeping the visitors visiting. There is no doubt that the forum atmosphere is great, with many helpful and friendly members, so in my opinion, that part is taken care of, although as some have said, perhaps focusing on a section will be alot easier. It is a balancing act. So, initially, i think the best idea is to get more people visiting, hopefully enough of them will be able to find the forums and will enjoy the community and keep coming back. How we get more people to visit the site i don't know, perhaps if members can advertise in anyway they can, through their own youtube videos, through telling friends, posting statuses on facebook, traffic will slowly increase, and i think eventually, we'll see alot more new faces around the forums.
Fri 25/09/09 at 22:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:

> Well the contention of some is that attracting traffic is a
> pointless exercise unless you first give yourself the best
> opportunity of keeping those people as users who you can
> eventually try to convert to paying customers.

So before traffic increases (somehow) - Freeola entices the present forum members to what??? Pay for the privilege? Forgive me if I'm assuming too much here, but aren't the majority of existing forum members already subscribers to some type of Freeola service?
Fri 25/09/09 at 22:42
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Time I think for a 'moderator' to step in...ha ha. Instead of
> 'picking' fault with the existing set up, shouldn't we be helping
> to increase traffic to the forum ... forgive me if I'm wrong in
> this assumption, but that is how I read Warhunt and his recent
> request.

Well the contention of some is that attracting traffic is a pointless exercise unless you first give yourself the best opportunity of keeping those people as users who you can eventually try to convert to paying customers.
Fri 25/09/09 at 19:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:
> Warhunt wrote:
> And enough about that topic for the moment, I'm doing what I
> can
> guys. Gotta try and focus on the things that can change.
>
> As Sonic Chris said in his inspiring pep talk to a new reviewer,
> "try abit harder". :P
>
> And what can change then?

Time I think for a 'moderator' to step in...ha ha. Instead of 'picking' fault with the existing set up, shouldn't we be helping to increase traffic to the forum ... forgive me if I'm wrong in this assumption, but that is how I read Warhunt and his recent request.

If my assumtion is correct, how do moderators and users increase traffic to a forum? ... word of mouth is one way, but very limited; advertise ... but where?; incentives to join ... not advisable; to be honest I wish someone would explain how you persuade someone to join a forum. For example, I joined a 'hackers' forum a few years ago - why, because I was interested in discussing and sharing code with others. I paid a small 'donation' and all was well for a few years. However things changed and suddenly a 'monthly' subscription was required. My membership lapsed:-)

I join forums because of a like-minded interest with others, no matter what the subject matter is. The difficult matter in hand here is to increase traffic to a forum with many areas - some are more supported that others.

Logic would suggest, that if you focus on the popular areas and increase traffic, this traffic may eventually spread to those less supported areas.

Of course this again begs the question of how do you do it? It would seem to put an awful onus on 'moderators, to continually produce new and exciting threads to draw in the masses.

Just a rather long thought :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.