GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty Expansion"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/04/04 at 01:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I loved Call of Duty; I think it fair to say it was one of the best FPS of last year, and certainly the best historical shooter, ever. I loved every minute of it, apart from its length, too damn short.

But, being a PC game and coming with all the hallmarks of becoming a successful franchise, Call of Duty is getting an expansion pack called United Offensive. It’ll have 10 new maps, which take part in some of the most intense battles of the Second World War such as the Battle of the Bulge.

So it’s an expansion, and it was expansions that pretty much ruined Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, the difference here is that it’s not being developed by money hungry EA, so should hopefully avoid suffering the same fate as MOH: Spearhead and Breakthrough, and even though it is just an expansion and not a full blown sequel, I can't help but get excited about it's release.

[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/callofdutyunitedoffensive/news_6093267.html[/URL]
Mon 19/04/04 at 23:03
Regular
Yes it is nails is that, probably the toughest mission on hard as your team get annihilated by the enemy forces and when the tanks come you really are looking at the brown stains down your trouser leg, any of the moments where you have to man a stationary weapon in Call of Duty are hard as fookenoffen.

The final Russian missions though really did take the biscuit, absolutely fantoooostic.
Mon 19/04/04 at 23:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm replaying it on hard...and jesus is it that.
The Pegasus Bridge level is being spent with me cowering behind sandbags thinking "Go on team, kill them and I'll take the weapons from your still-warm bodies"

War is hell
Mon 19/04/04 at 12:40
"Darth Vader 3442321"
A tough game for tough men. It is a superb game and one I will probably replay on a lower difficulty level. This may seem absurd, but I played it the first time of Hard (or whatever they called it) and spent most of the game cowering on the ground hoping for my fellow soldiers to kill the nasty men who were shouting at me. Many, many reloads were needed to complete the game. Thus another play through in which I can fully appreciate being shot at and shelled is needed.
Mon 19/04/04 at 00:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Just been playing this again after a few weeks of other games.
I'd forgotten just how intense and full-on it is. The Pegasus Bridge level (after the distinctly average POW Camp) is just bullets/explosions/shouting, relentless hammering of machine guns and whistling shells overhead.
Superb game and well worth replaying.
Fri 16/04/04 at 12:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yep, seen the preview, but it doesn't sound like you can use the flamethrower yourself, at least not in the single player.
Thu 15/04/04 at 17:15
Regular
"None Stored"
There is a short preview for this in the newest PC Gamer, it has a few screens; including one of the a flamethower.
Wed 14/04/04 at 11:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I think the Battle of the Bulge was reproduced in one of the MOH expansions, I can't remember exactly but I think it was bit naff. The COD expansion I think, or rather hope, will be as great as the original game.

I read the preview in PCG and like the first game you get to play as the Americans, British and Russians again. The Americans are involved in the Battle of the Bulge, the Russians in the Battle of Kursk and little is known about what you do as the British. Personally I'd like to see Dunkirk reproduced in the British campaign; I think it'd interesting and lead to some pretty intense battles.
Tue 13/04/04 at 22:41
Regular
"^_^"
you gotta realise though, Cod is one of the only pc games to involve a mode of realism and include the full blown bad ass ness of a fps.

This expansion, ok it wont be brilliant, it will be the same, just more levels and weapons. but hey, i dont mind. I would love to play the battle of the bulge, but i hope, this time, they are historically correct...
Tue 13/04/04 at 00:33
Regular
"Teal'c"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> (except for that Russian level where there are literally dozens of
> Germans attacking your building - all my guys were dead, I had no
> health and no ammo - after literally 40-50 attempts I finally
> relented and stuck god mode on so I could finish the level)

Hahahaha, me too.
No, really.
Mon 12/04/04 at 23:46
Regular
"That's right!"
CoD is one of the few games I really wanted to play all the way through.

Stuck it on the hardest setting from the off and had a great time (except for that Russian level where there are literally dozens of Germans attacking your building - all my guys were dead, I had no health and no ammo - after literally 40-50 attempts I finally relented and stuck god mode on so I could finish the level)

But, yeah, after playing and completing the first MOH add on, Spearhead, I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. More of the same is usually a good thing, but not when it's REALLY the same.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.