GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty Expansion"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/04/04 at 01:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I loved Call of Duty; I think it fair to say it was one of the best FPS of last year, and certainly the best historical shooter, ever. I loved every minute of it, apart from its length, too damn short.

But, being a PC game and coming with all the hallmarks of becoming a successful franchise, Call of Duty is getting an expansion pack called United Offensive. It’ll have 10 new maps, which take part in some of the most intense battles of the Second World War such as the Battle of the Bulge.

So it’s an expansion, and it was expansions that pretty much ruined Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, the difference here is that it’s not being developed by money hungry EA, so should hopefully avoid suffering the same fate as MOH: Spearhead and Breakthrough, and even though it is just an expansion and not a full blown sequel, I can't help but get excited about it's release.

[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/callofdutyunitedoffensive/news_6093267.html[/URL]
Wed 21/04/04 at 15:14
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Having just started the Russian campaign, I have to say that it's the Russian missions that really make the game. The opening River Crossing, Recapturing Red Square, fighting through sewers, fighting through destroyed railway yards, Plenty of Sniper opportunities and even the chance to lead an assault in a tank column.

It really captures just how chaotic and how frantic the battle of Stalingrad was. I can't wait to see what the new Russian missions offer in the expansion.
Wed 21/04/04 at 14:47
Regular
"uncopyable"
Strange really, as I have just replayed COD too. I went through on 'Hard' difficulty this time as finished it on 'Normal' on my first time through.
I guess a truly great game is something that can be enjoyed again and again.

Easily the best FPS I have played in a number of years, if not ever. I would have to agree with the statements about the music kicking in, particularly when defending the bridge, utter class. The game looks great and also runs sooo well.

Shame there are a few ‘weak’ stages (the Prison camp and German Destroyer for example) but even these levels are still arguably better than a good deal of the levels featured in many FPSs. I guess it’s a measure of how good this game is that those two levels are looked upon as ‘weak’, as I am quite sure if they were in a lesser game, they would be amongst the best.

Can’t wait for the expansion pack, and COD 2 even more so.
Wed 21/04/04 at 12:14
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I always keep my eyes peeled for any rifles that may be lying around on that level, you'd think with so many soldiers biting the bullet that at least one of them would drop their weapon, but they never do.
Tue 20/04/04 at 17:32
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I, er, rather embarassing this, reloaded the first Stalingrad mission within 5 minutes of starting it. When I got of the boat and joined the line, where you were handed either ammo or a rifle, I thought "please let me get a rifle, please let me get a rifle", then upon receiving a clip of ammo I thought "stuff this comrades I'm starting again".

The sagacious one though the could defy in game scripting, but soon learnt the error of his ways.
Tue 20/04/04 at 12:05
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I've been replaying it recently too, but on medium difficulty because I've already finished it on the harder settings. I actually just completed the level where you play as the yanks, charging through trenches taking out artillery guns that are firing on the D-Day landings.

And utterly fantastic level, you're constantly on your feet, always advancing, as the Germans are everywhere and staying in spot usually means you end up dead.

Personally I can't wait for COD2, because there just has to be a sequel to the original and I for one would welcome the new graphical improvements. One of the problems I have with COD is that the graphics don't allow for much freedom, it's a very linear game that does use the technology it has to great effect but still limits the levels to places you have to go, rather than being given the chance to explore them yourself. I'd love to see Call of Duty use massive, wide open terrain, the battles on such environments would be huge and far more intense, plus they would allow you to approach the game however you wanted.
Mon 19/04/04 at 23:38
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Yeah - when the triumphant music starts to kick in, that's when you know you don't need to hold the b****rds off for much longer.
Mon 19/04/04 at 23:29
Regular
Totally unexpected when, playing as the Brits and defending the bridge for a few minutes, a heroic soundtrack played in the background. Very atmospheric.
Mon 19/04/04 at 23:25
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I thought the beginning of the whole Stalingrad bit was superb.
When the guy's rattling off the whole thing about those who retreat will be shot, and he's making the big speech in attempt to instill nationalism into the soldiers (or rather, men) on the boats - it seems to work, as if you're there. The music just caps it off. As the boats were being picked off one by one, and you eventually reached the foot of the hill, I just felt like, "Yeah. Lets do this."

Which rarely happens to me during a game.

And of course, that's another thing. The musical score is superb.
I particularly liked the music as you stormed Red Square.
Excellent stuff. No WW2 shooter is complete without the gallant music.
Mon 19/04/04 at 23:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The Russian ones were my favs, outdid MOH's Normandy Beach invasion as a set-piece.
Except when you have to defend that house and you're being over-run by troops...I crouched upstairs snivelling and cradling my machine-gun to my chest thinking "Please don't find me please don't find me please don't find me" and emptying entire clips at anybody that came up those stairs.

Intense is the word alright.
Mon 19/04/04 at 23:04
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
You're only just playing it on hard?
Pfft, wuss.
*Ahem*

Nah, it is a superb game though - it seems to achieve what all war games before it have failed at - a sense of intensity.
It's brilliant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.