GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Comparison- MP3 to minidisc"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/03/04 at 22:38
Regular
"The Red Shift"
first of all, haven't posted in a while so, yeah, hi.

now then. i've been considering for some time the fact that i need an mp3 or minidisc player. however, i've been hesitant to buy one. my stereo screwed up ages ago and doesn't play CDs. i rely on my two computers(one with media player) and portable sony discman as music sources. this is very annoying and limits my amount and cost of music. also because i refuse to use kazaa, etc. however i have loads of friends who can do it for me.

so far i know about MP3s:
- ipods are very popular ( duh! )
- there's large hardrive format
- it's cheap and big
- there's small softdrive format
- it's expensive and very small
- there are a wide variety

about minidiscs:
- they're relatively cheaper
- some can get downloads off of a computer
- minidiscs can be lost but can be easy to write and exchange

an ipod would be useful because i've seen a speaker base for it so i could use it like a stereo.

i hope to get something back from this as i know there are some of you who are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to this. any help can be in post or link form. thanks
:)
Wed 31/03/04 at 10:14
Regular
"The Red Shift"
also another few questions.

there are warranties on there, do they exist if i buy the players from another place?

which leads to my second quezzie. are they cheaper else where?
Wed 31/03/04 at 10:12
Regular
"The Red Shift"
there are some really nice players on there. thanks bullett.

i had the latest stuff magasine with a full comparison report, but i lost it. annoying. also, should i sign up to the 30 day which trial for this buying purpose?

it seems that youy 2 are tending towards mp3?
Wed 31/03/04 at 10:02
Regular
"The Red Shift"
i'm not one of those people who think or actually do need to fill their mp3, so 5-15gb models are perfect.

i'm definitely not signing up to an ipod. that's the whole reason for this thread.
Wed 31/03/04 at 09:56
Regular
Yeah, sorry - HDD MP3 players are basically the Gigabyte sized players, whereas flash ones are the small, 256/512Mb etc ones.

Check out [URL]http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/family.asp?fami=30[/URL] . These are top quality MP3 players which are much cheaper than iPods.

Mine's not on that page as it is discontinued (first ever HDD MP3 player form Creative), but it was 20Gb, with USB1 and firewire connections. The firmware is upgradeable on these units, too.

Keep your options open and don't think iPods are the only way. There is a lot of competition springing up now...
Wed 31/03/04 at 09:43
Regular
"The Red Shift"
lol
i didn't say any names but somehow i knew ali would post in here.

as for money, i've been browsing around on kelkoo and stuff and i think that £220 ish will suffice. this isn't much but i can get an Ipod mini (4 gig) a very decent minidisc player (i realised the irritation of having to transport discs early on) or up to a 10 or 15 gig Ipod. there are obviously other brands that i've looked at, but it looks like it would be a sony minidisc or any one of 3 makes of mp3. the ipod seems to be the nokia of the world, with an easy operating system and a stylish design. there are others though who seem to be nipping at their status though.

there seemed to be some confusion early about which players have cables for linking to stereos, chargers, USB or firewire, etc.

and bullett, i take it HDD is the larger hard drive system.

as i said it may be easiest to post information, or draw links to pages of the item with a spec. table and then describe it.
Wed 31/03/04 at 06:54
Regular
I've got more songs than I need on my 20Gb Jukebox Zen. There's still over 15Gb left. HDD MP3 players are getting cheaper by the minute, you may as well go for one of them - you'll save money in the long run.
Tue 30/03/04 at 23:46
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Clazon wrote:

> i hope to get something back from this as i know there are some of
> you who are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to this. any help
> can be in post or link form. thanks
> :)

Depends on how much you have and are willing to spend. I had a mini disk player ages ago and now I have an iPod. Mini disk players seem to have been replaced by mp3 players and I use my portable one (and the part for my stereo) very rarely nowadays.

I have an iPod with an itrip so I can play the music from the iPod through any radio which is very useful as I'm usually in my room or the car when I want music on.

Mp3 player will store much more music and means you don't have to carry around extra disks. Also good for when you suddenly feel like listening to something else, also you don't have to pay for more disks when you need as some of the larger mp3 players will store 1000's of songs.
Tue 30/03/04 at 22:38
Regular
"The Red Shift"
first of all, haven't posted in a while so, yeah, hi.

now then. i've been considering for some time the fact that i need an mp3 or minidisc player. however, i've been hesitant to buy one. my stereo screwed up ages ago and doesn't play CDs. i rely on my two computers(one with media player) and portable sony discman as music sources. this is very annoying and limits my amount and cost of music. also because i refuse to use kazaa, etc. however i have loads of friends who can do it for me.

so far i know about MP3s:
- ipods are very popular ( duh! )
- there's large hardrive format
- it's cheap and big
- there's small softdrive format
- it's expensive and very small
- there are a wide variety

about minidiscs:
- they're relatively cheaper
- some can get downloads off of a computer
- minidiscs can be lost but can be easy to write and exchange

an ipod would be useful because i've seen a speaker base for it so i could use it like a stereo.

i hope to get something back from this as i know there are some of you who are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to this. any help can be in post or link form. thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.