GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Comparison- MP3 to minidisc"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/03/04 at 22:38
Regular
"The Red Shift"
first of all, haven't posted in a while so, yeah, hi.

now then. i've been considering for some time the fact that i need an mp3 or minidisc player. however, i've been hesitant to buy one. my stereo screwed up ages ago and doesn't play CDs. i rely on my two computers(one with media player) and portable sony discman as music sources. this is very annoying and limits my amount and cost of music. also because i refuse to use kazaa, etc. however i have loads of friends who can do it for me.

so far i know about MP3s:
- ipods are very popular ( duh! )
- there's large hardrive format
- it's cheap and big
- there's small softdrive format
- it's expensive and very small
- there are a wide variety

about minidiscs:
- they're relatively cheaper
- some can get downloads off of a computer
- minidiscs can be lost but can be easy to write and exchange

an ipod would be useful because i've seen a speaker base for it so i could use it like a stereo.

i hope to get something back from this as i know there are some of you who are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to this. any help can be in post or link form. thanks
:)
Wed 31/03/04 at 18:50
Regular
"the burning sky"
pb wrote:
> Minidisc format seems to hold on to its price second hand,
> unfortunately so does MP3.
>
> MP3 has lots of different formats though, and the other good thing is
> that you can carefully buy an non-hard drive one that uses Compact
> Flash cards pretty cheap with a small card, then upgrade with a cheap
> but larger compact flash card later on (£20 for 256mb) or buy 5
> of them and swap them around. Much smaller than minidiscs and solid
> state too.

I used to have have a 128mb MP3 player, which i have since returned now have a lovely shiny Minidisc. The added benefit of the MD players over flash type MP3 players is the cost of storage, 128mb will fit about 40 songs on an MP3 player, but extra cards cost about 20 quid. whereas with MD they 74 minute ones store about 60 songs on, and the 80min ones even more. So go for a MD, unless you can afford an I-Pod, or something simliar. :P
Wed 31/03/04 at 14:23
"possibly impossible"
Minidisc format seems to hold on to its price second hand, unfortunately so does MP3.

MP3 has lots of different formats though, and the other good thing is that you can carefully buy an non-hard drive one that uses Compact Flash cards pretty cheap with a small card, then upgrade with a cheap but larger compact flash card later on (£20 for 256mb) or buy 5 of them and swap them around. Much smaller than minidiscs and solid state too.
Wed 31/03/04 at 13:52
Regular
"The Red Shift"
it looks like i'm pretty much sorted then. an mp3 is preferable but there's no shame in a minidisc. looks like i just have to buy.

but, no. just wait, one more piece of information is needed to complete the jigsaw of knowledge ( :) )

-will minidisc players die out soon, because of mp3. or do they have a couple more years.

-what's the second hand market like (buying AND selling)

muchos gratias amigos!
Wed 31/03/04 at 12:33
Regular
"You've upset me"
Seeing as I can't afford an iPod, I have an MD player and it's a very acceptable alternative. Yes, carrying around the discs is annoying but seeing as you can actually fit 320 minutes of music on one disc (if your MD has LP•4) then you aren't going to have to carry around too many spare discs.

In conclusion (:-D), if you have the money get an iPod, but if you don't you won't be pished off with an MD player.
Wed 31/03/04 at 11:30
Regular
The firewire is so much faster, isn't it? I've only recently been able to use the firewire port since my comp upgrade. Nice.
Wed 31/03/04 at 11:25
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yeah I got a Creative USB1.1, but also with a Firewire connection.

20GB, perfect quality. A newer Zen NX or an Ipod and you're sorted.
Wed 31/03/04 at 10:33
Regular
Heh, forgot about that feature! Yes, Creative units come with a 'filemanager' program so you can store PC files on there without interfering with the MP3's. It's clever stuff, and handy when you don't want to waste a CDR etc.

I have a Jukebox Zen USB1 - it was the first ever Creative Zen player, now discontinued and not shown in the site.
Wed 31/03/04 at 10:29
Regular
"The Red Shift"
i like the look of the muvo, zen nx and the zen -usb 2.0 .

i take it you have one of these
:)

also, when it says "enough space for pictures and documents". does that mean i can use my player as a usb memory port piece. connect via the usb, save onto it, transport and upload. i don't think it means it's like a phone where you can see them on the player.
Wed 31/03/04 at 10:20
Regular
Clazon wrote:
> also another few questions.
>
> there are warranties on there, do they exist if i buy the players
> from another place?

If you bought from somewhere else, they should give you a warranty, but you would still get the Manufacturer's warranty regardless.

> which leads to my second quezzie. are they cheaper else where?

Most likely. Check places like Dealtime.co.uk or google for the unit in mind.
Wed 31/03/04 at 10:19
Regular
Clazon wrote:
> there are some really nice players on there. thanks bullett.

No prob :)

> i had the latest stuff magasine with a full comparison report, but i
> lost it. annoying. also, should i sign up to the 30 day which trial
> for this buying purpose?

They would probably give the toughest, fairest, most non-biased report available. They wouldn't just say "get Ipod coz it luks gud lol!".
It'd probably be the best source of advice if your are still undecided.

> it seems that youy 2 are tending towards mp3?

Most definitely (for me, anyway). The Creative units also play WMA files and I heard the ymay be upgradeable to play other formats too...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.