GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Comparison- MP3 to minidisc"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/03/04 at 22:38
Regular
"The Red Shift"
first of all, haven't posted in a while so, yeah, hi.

now then. i've been considering for some time the fact that i need an mp3 or minidisc player. however, i've been hesitant to buy one. my stereo screwed up ages ago and doesn't play CDs. i rely on my two computers(one with media player) and portable sony discman as music sources. this is very annoying and limits my amount and cost of music. also because i refuse to use kazaa, etc. however i have loads of friends who can do it for me.

so far i know about MP3s:
- ipods are very popular ( duh! )
- there's large hardrive format
- it's cheap and big
- there's small softdrive format
- it's expensive and very small
- there are a wide variety

about minidiscs:
- they're relatively cheaper
- some can get downloads off of a computer
- minidiscs can be lost but can be easy to write and exchange

an ipod would be useful because i've seen a speaker base for it so i could use it like a stereo.

i hope to get something back from this as i know there are some of you who are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to this. any help can be in post or link form. thanks
:)
Tue 06/04/04 at 21:31
Regular
"Anyone Got A Pizza"
MP3 Rules I live for it and Ipods are cool
Fri 02/04/04 at 21:01
Regular
www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

([URL]http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk[/URL])

HDD Players: - [URL]http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=3&usersessid=c87acff080369b9ea567f6e8148f3de7[/URL]
Fri 02/04/04 at 19:25
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I use a Mini Disc player for all my portable stuff; but, have just got myself an MP3-playing CD player for my car (Mini Disc-players were a lot more expensive in comparison, anyway).

You can (in many cases) connect both up to your PC for getting all your downloaded MP3s, and you can obviously fit more onto an MP3 player than a Mini Disc. It depends on how you want to use and store your music, I reckon...

You see, I've always stuck with Mini Discs because you can fit several albums onto one MD and call it, say (for example), and incubus disc. And then, have one disc for each of your other bands; rather than using folders and all that with an MP3 player.
Or, if you prefer to have it all in bulk, and don't really like to have your music categorised in such a way, by all means, go for the MP3s.
Fri 02/04/04 at 18:27
Regular
"The Red Shift"
anyone heard of a neuros mp3 player???
Wed 31/03/04 at 21:00
"I love yo... lamp."
That coca cola one would have been simply a small CD, 8 cm instead of the usual 12 cm, like the Gamecube mini DVDs.

I would back MP3 players now. I have one that is about an inch and a half square and half an inch thick. With 128 Mb of memory built in I can get 30 songs on it if I bother to compress them and rip them properly. It also has an SD / MMC card slot, where I can put a card of up to 1 Gb I believe. At that point I would have more music on there than I could listen to in a day. One AAA battery lasts days.

MD players are good, but I think they are a bit past it now. What they do have going for them is the ability to record, if obviously, you buy a recordable one.

Hard drive MP3 players have all the same benefits as normal MP3 players, but with the added plus of having far more room. But then they also cost more and are larger.

Having an MP3 player now has made me wonder, just how did I survive before it. It is up to you and your budget.
Wed 31/03/04 at 20:32
Regular
"The Red Shift"
looks c00l.
Wed 31/03/04 at 20:27
"High polygon count"
Clazon wrote:
> what's UMD?

Sort of a "Mega MD" - [URL]http://uk.playstation.com/news/newsStory.jhtml?storyId=103831_en_GB_NEWS&locale=en_GB&metaRef=http%3A//www.google.co.uk/search%3Fhl%3Den%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26q%3Dumd+%252Bdisc%26meta%3D[/URL]
Wed 31/03/04 at 20:18
Regular
"The Red Shift"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Clazon wrote:
> -will minidisc players die out soon, because of mp3. or do they have
> a couple more years.
>
> Minidisc has been around for less time than CD (early 90's I think,
> where CD was early-to-mid 80's). For some reason it never took off
> in the same way - probably because of the cost originally, but the
> features have always been in advance of the CD.

i know but i heard something about this super mini disc or something. i remember my first coca cola minidisc which i played on a mates sega saturn.

> I think the MD format has a good few years left in it yet. I don't
> see MP3 killing it off, but it might suffer if and when the UMD takes
> off.

what's UMD?

i've been compiling a list of songs, to see how much i need. it's bloody annoying when you know either band or song but not both. i can't be bothered to put them into google so i sit there mulling over it for ages.
:)
Wed 31/03/04 at 20:03
"High polygon count"
Clazon wrote:
> -will minidisc players die out soon, because of mp3. or do they have
> a couple more years.

Minidisc has been around for less time than CD (early 90's I think, where CD was early-to-mid 80's). For some reason it never took off in the same way - probably because of the cost originally, but the features have always been in advance of the CD.

I think the MD format has a good few years left in it yet. I don't see MP3 killing it off, but it might suffer if and when the UMD takes off.

Sold my old Rio 500 some time ago because it was only 64MB and the expansion cards were expensive; they have come right down now, though.

I bought a Sony MZ-N1 MD recorder and have never looked back. In LP4 mode, the battery lasts longer than in the Rio, too. You won't regret an MD unit, but it's entirely up to you.

Sony do some wonderful, tiny Memory Stick based MP3 players, but you do need to by the MagicGate sticks which are a little more expensive.
Wed 31/03/04 at 19:08
"possibly impossible"
If you use WMA it's a lot better for compression, so a 256mb card will fit around 80 or 90 songs on at v good quality.

256mb cards are now around £20 and, like I said, they are solid state.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.