GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do people keep dissing the Saturn and Dreamcast?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/04/01 at 19:04
Regular
I don't care what people say about the success of the Saturn or the Dreamcast. To me these have been the better consoles, maybe not in terms of power but in terms of games. People always diss the Saturn because it didn't do well at all. But was it a bad console? No! Games like NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Burning Rangers and House of the Dead where all top Saturn games.

I have always been a Sega fan so maybe that's why I liked the Saturn as opposed to the PlayStation. PlayStation probably was the better console of the last generation but the Dreamcast was completely perfect.

Nobody can deny that Dreamcast is better than PS2 in terms of overall quality. They haven't 'shot themselves in the foot'. The gaming public have shot Sega in the head making sure they don't make another console which is a shame. In my opinion Sega gaming will never be the same again because a Sega game has to be on a Sega console for it to 'feel' right. I like House of the Dead 2 and Sega Rally 2 but on the PC they just don't feel right. You have to be sat in front of your TV with your Sega branded controller and console to experience the full Sega experience. Don't ask me why I just don't think that playing Crazy Taxi on the PS2 will feel right at all.

Now look at the damage you have done Sega haters. You have destroyed the hardware trade of the oldest video gaming company around who have ALWAYS made the best games and the best consoles. I will miss looking forward to the next Sega console, looking at Sonic's latest game and getting all excited about it. I just won't be able to get all excited about waiting to see Sonic's latest game on the PlayStation 3/4/5/6/7..... Call me 'sad' if you must but Sega are the kings of gaming and lots of people out there have made sure that they don't return. AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Mon 09/04/01 at 19:04
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
I don't care what people say about the success of the Saturn or the Dreamcast. To me these have been the better consoles, maybe not in terms of power but in terms of games. People always diss the Saturn because it didn't do well at all. But was it a bad console? No! Games like NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Burning Rangers and House of the Dead where all top Saturn games.

I have always been a Sega fan so maybe that's why I liked the Saturn as opposed to the PlayStation. PlayStation probably was the better console of the last generation but the Dreamcast was completely perfect.

Nobody can deny that Dreamcast is better than PS2 in terms of overall quality. They haven't 'shot themselves in the foot'. The gaming public have shot Sega in the head making sure they don't make another console which is a shame. In my opinion Sega gaming will never be the same again because a Sega game has to be on a Sega console for it to 'feel' right. I like House of the Dead 2 and Sega Rally 2 but on the PC they just don't feel right. You have to be sat in front of your TV with your Sega branded controller and console to experience the full Sega experience. Don't ask me why I just don't think that playing Crazy Taxi on the PS2 will feel right at all.

Now look at the damage you have done Sega haters. You have destroyed the hardware trade of the oldest video gaming company around who have ALWAYS made the best games and the best consoles. I will miss looking forward to the next Sega console, looking at Sonic's latest game and getting all excited about it. I just won't be able to get all excited about waiting to see Sonic's latest game on the PlayStation 3/4/5/6/7..... Call me 'sad' if you must but Sega are the kings of gaming and lots of people out there have made sure that they don't return. AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Mon 09/04/01 at 19:37
Regular
The only reason I can come up with is that those dissing are either completely biased towards a certain console and wont try any other, or cos they're playstation fans (who sometimes never even play another console and therefore automatically think they're rubbish)

I've played both a Saturn and a Dreamcast and although I didn't like the Dreamcast's controllers, they were pretty good consoles!

But as you know, a lot of Sega's consoles have had a lot of bad luck in the past, and they've kept that reputation, so gamers think that they're safer with another console even though if they supported Sega's consoles they'd still be in the market now!

However, even though these people diss the consoles, they can't really diss the really popular games made by Sega! Sonic has always been a great Sega character, and the game Chu Chu Rocket, although not very complex, has been a successful hit! And what about the RPG Shenmue? I haven't played it but I haven't heard a bad word against it!

So don't worry Sega fans! Other consoles will have Sega's games which may turn out to be better than if Sega still made their own consoles! They can spend their profits on more exciting games than before which will mean even better quality games!

Mon 09/04/01 at 19:43
Regular
I agree with what both Edgy and Pagey have said so far. But you seem to be overlooking one main factor.

After Sega has been making software for a few years, and got thei bank balance up to scratch, do you not think they will make another console?

These things go in circle, Sega had it good for a few years, and now they are having it bad for a few years. In a few years time, it will be their turn again.

Sega will be back with another console, be it in 3 years, or in 10 years. You know what? It will take the market by strom as well.

This is because, in a few years time, all the kids growing up with the PS2's and the X-Box's and the 'Cubes, will all be playing Sega games, and thinking "wow!". Then when Sega has their reputation back, they will release a console. Which will beat everyhting else out there!

Dont worry Sega fans, they will be back!!
Mon 09/04/01 at 19:47
Regular
That's why Sega's first consoles were so popular!

Most games were based on arcade hits or other console games (e.g. ones made for ZX Spectrum and others similar)

So Sega made a profit on them, then made a console after a few years!

This will definately happen in the future!
Mon 09/04/01 at 21:29
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
I agree. Sega WILL make another console. After people have played Sega games on other formats they will realise that they are good games so everyone will buy the new console. Sega will then rule again! Hurrah!!!!!
Mon 09/04/01 at 21:37
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Right on pagey! i count the days untill sega make a new, super console. Its gonna be hard to make one better than the dreamcast tho, but sega will manage it.
Mon 09/04/01 at 21:39
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
NiGHTS! My favourite game of all time. ever. ever. ever. Made by Yugi Naka don't u know- maker of sonic :)

Sonic
Mon 09/04/01 at 22:07
Saturn = pants

Dreamcast = top quality!
Mon 09/04/01 at 22:17
SonicRav wrote:
> NiGHTS! My favourite game of all time. ever. ever. ever. Made by
> Yugi Naka don't u know- maker of sonic :)

Sonic

Same as, same as.

I've written a few posts like this - I agree, that the Saturn had some incredible games - like Nights. The Dreamcast though IS NOT a failure. It's just Sega aimed at capturing a small piece of the market, they didn't set themselves high enough targets! They did reach their ambitions, but then ran out of cash to deliver to the rest! Shame, as the Dreamcast is an amazing console, that Sega should have marketed better - a machine that should have had better support, and something that everyone seems to think has 'died'. Mine certainly hasn't - it's more alive than ever! I've been playing Samba De Amigo for the past couple of days, and my PS2 has indeed been deprived of gameplaying time as there's nothing fun to play on it - nothing as fun.

Good post - Dreamcast is great, but Sega games on other formats is a positive thing. It'll help recover the losses, build up their reputation as THE best games maker in the world, and also help up the quality - raising the standard as it were, for other games console's games. EA better watch out - that's all I can say! I await NBA 2K2 with great anticipation.

Dan 2 K 1
Mon 09/04/01 at 23:59
Saturn... was a bit of a hardware dissapointment, as a result only Sega could really push it too its limits. However it wasnt all bad there were great games such as Nights, Burning Rangers and House of the Dead...I have a saturn buy the way and have been looking around shops trying to find these games for years so if you know any good sites that would be cool.

As for the Dreamcast, brilliant games, great graphics and playability...but with a strange controller. But Great nevertheless, a real shame that people overlooked it, and that Sega had to stop making it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.