GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Black and White (a long post, I warn you)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/04/01 at 03:03
Regular
Absolutely.

Your Honour can back me up on this one.
And having played it solidly for a few days now, it is without doubt one of the most stunning "games" I've played, on any system bar none.

You ever played a game and had that feeling that you're witnessing the birth of something genre defining?
Like the 1st time Mario appeared, or Sonic, or Metal Gear..one of those rare moments when you sit back and think "I've never played anything like this before..."

I know I made loads of dodgy monkey spank jokes, that's just being childish and...well...me.
But I would recommend this to anyone.
If my girlfriend spent most of her saturday on a PC when she hates video games and doesn't make time to go out and do her normal stuff, then you know this is good.

A lot has been made of the "Good or Evil? find out who you really are" thing, but it's true.
Metal Gear is a top game, but the enemies are just faceless people there to be taken out to proceed.
Sure you can sneak past, but you're supplied weapons and there are moments when you HAVE to kill.

Not so with Black and White, you can proceed however you want to, with no deaths and no violence unless you want to.
A few people die in the training of your creature, otherwise he won't know not to eat them unless he does, to be rectified with a quick, gently slap.

I planned on being an evil god, creating a monstrous avatar of destruction and death - but I couldn't do it.
It's one thing to snap a guard's neck and stuff him in a locker, it's another to raise your creature from birth and make him evil.
You have to teach him to eat, to toilet train, make him learn to fish, tell him what's good and bad, raise him exactly how you want to, he is totaly dependant on you for a long time.

And herein lies the moral difficulty.
It's been programmed so you have a genuine emotional attachment to the animal.
To teach it to uproot trees and throw them into the store, when he does it right and looks at you with a huge grin and a litle dance, you reward him with a stroking, he goes mental and smiles, makes noises and runs off to do it again to impress you.
You hand him a tree, he looks at it, throws it at a villager. That's a bad thing, so you have to smack him.
He cries and rubs where you hit him.
Hand him another, watch him look at it, look up at you ,back to the tree and (provided you've shown him with the leash of learning), he throws it correctly and jumps about, pointing at you and smiling.

I became so attached to my creature, I couldn't teach it to eat people and kill children, but I don't have to.
He loves to help the villagers, picks them up and strokes them, waters their crops and is an all round nice chimp.

I'm now on Island 3 and he's been taken prisoner by a rival God, he's tied between 4 posts and is being tortured and beaten by a huge wolf creature.
I just have to influence enough new villages with miracles until I can reach him, and you better believe I will raise holy hell on the creature that has my monkey.
I spent days teaching and nurturing him, no way someone is going to hurt him and live to tell the tale.

I came across a village under the control of the evil god, and I smashed it to pieces.
Simply to exact revenge for a god that hurts my creature.
I threw fireballs into their temple, snatched their children and threw them far out to sea, rained boulders on their houses and picked up every last one of them and dashed them against mountains.

I've played games before like Force Commander, Command and Conquer and Shogun, I have sent thousands of men to certain death simply to gain control of another region next door and didn't care because it's a computer game.
But this game is different, I have raised this creature, taught it so many things, fed it, petted it and shown him how to kick a beachball when he wants cheering up.

He is my creation, a reflection of who I am.
You are free to behave exactly how you want, there is no punishment for being evil, no set way to complete tasks assigned.
It is totally up to you how you behave.

But I've invested days into my little creature, he does things to please me and make me laugh.
You genuinely care about this little thing, laugh when he learns to dance, feel bad when you have to smack him, a sense of achievment when he learns a task you've been trying to teach him.

Black and White is, without a doubt, the single most original and genre defining game out on any platform right now.
You're going to have to go a looooong way to top this game for involvement, wonder, happiness and a genuine sense of being in control.
Thu 12/04/01 at 22:48
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Min Spec:

Windows 95/98/ME/2000
350 MHZ
63MB Ram
600MB hard
> drive
4 speed CD ROM
8MB graphic card
Direct
> 3d
Directx7

It wont run on that. My system is AMD K6-2 400, 128 Mg RAM, 16MB Voodoo 3 and it jerks on lowest settings.

I'd recommend at least a 500MHz cpu, if not higher.
Thu 12/04/01 at 22:47
"Uzi Lover"
Surely though it will not run on that spec system!

look at the graphics and proccesing power the thing needs!

I'm so lucky my PC is a Atlon 950 with 256mb ram, cos i get to play this wonder :->
Thu 12/04/01 at 22:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Min Spec:

Windows 95/98/ME/2000
350 MHZ
63MB Ram
600MB hard drive
4 speed CD ROM
8MB graphic card
Direct 3d
Directx7

That's all

And it;s worth it
Thu 12/04/01 at 22:03
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Looks like I will never know! :-(
Thu 12/04/01 at 21:27
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Does anyone know?
Thu 12/04/01 at 20:45
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
M16 reads everyones posts about how good the game is and M16 starts to weep.

I doubt if my PC will be able to handle the game, not too sure though. IF it is able to, you can bet your horses I will buy it first thing in the morning!

Could someone post the minimum specs you need for the game please? I have windows 95 BTW.

Thanks in advance.
-M16-
Thu 12/04/01 at 20:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I hate to say "I told you so" but I told you so (aimed at the general public and SNIPER).

Level two already?
Go at your own pace dude, it's your world.
I'm staying on tutorial level after a week of play, he knows a lot of spells, is 3 times his original size and has learned so much.

Take him into a skirmish (not online) game and you build him up faster and harder, ready for the later levels.

I got to Island 3 after 2 days, then realised I could have spent longer just building him.

Sure, you can go through all the islands fairly quickly, but it takes months (according to Lionhead) to get him up to scratch.

Man, everyone I've spoken to that has this game basically forgets about all other games for a long time.

it does rock, sorry to keep banging on and on, but when something is this outstanding, it deserves constant praise.
Thu 12/04/01 at 18:51
"Uzi Lover"
I just got my copy today!

I and my mate were both blown away!

My mate (badger_guy) just wishes that it would work on his PC. He hasn't tryed it yet but it is very unlikely.

I choose the Tiger and I am on world 2.

My mate made the comment "This has to be like, the best game ever"

I strongly agree in many ways, I feel this game is at its best when you take it slowly and take your time.

Its simple brillant!
Thu 12/04/01 at 08:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
My alignment is somewhat muddled, but my creature is "nasty".

Not quite black or white, but if he carries on his one-chimp hate crimes against cows, he's gonna be blacker than a black thing at night with no lights on.

Played till 3am this morning, still on tutorial level, trying to break his habit of cow murder.

He just flips me the finger and runs off to abuse more bovine backgrounds.
Wed 11/04/01 at 21:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Are you black or white?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.