GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enemies"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/04/01 at 12:14
Regular
Enemy AL has been more noticeable lately. Some games like Turok and Quake has pathetic AL where they are programmed to simply head towards you and attack.

Outcast has recently introduced agents a system, which makes enemy AL somewhat realistic. There are several agents, agent of fear, agent of curiosity, agent of hatred etc… these agents are combined together to create one characters personality. An example of how this works is when you make a loud noise a character that has a large agent of curiosity would investigate while one with larger fear agent would run away.

But what many developers, particularly recently, is trying to do is to make the character reply to what you type in. Eliza a system written in the 1970’s has someone (Eliza) who is a psychotherapist and she replies to your questions you type in. Unfortunately a computer still can’t think for itself so its replies will always have to be programmed in. On top of that the typing game where you type things in to speak to people are long gone so what does the future hold for this region of gaming.

Voice recognition, a system where you can speak to people on the screen and they do what you say or reply to what you said. Games like this has already begun in the form of Seaman for the Dreamcast and Hey you Pikachu for the Nintendo 64. But these are still games with replies that have been programmed in before.

When and if computers are able to generate there own responses think of the possibilities, you could have your first virtual friend, command an entire army to commit suicide or attack each other and even have an RPG where you interact with people by talking to them directly. This could indeed be the future of gaming.

Here’s to the future

Dringo
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:52
Regular
SNIPER wrote:
Same goes for Racing games, and Sports games
> alike.

Blimey Sniper!! I think thats the most you've ever written :-)

I cant agree with you on the racing games point. In GP3 the cars try to defend their line when you go to overtake them, and in MSR the aI is pretty spot on, apart from the ramming thing which has been mentioned already Although you shouldnt really ram them anyway, unless your no good at the game and need some help to get the position!
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:47
Regular
Even if it was just the AI for enemies attacking you in games that was improved (without voice recognition) gaming would be better!

Gannondorf in Ocarina Of Time had rubbish AI!

As long as you hit back the fireball (or whatever it was) everytime he fired it at you, you'd hit him! He never even tries dodging!

In Goldeneye, you can walk almost right around a guard without him even noticing you (especially the one in Facility who has the first keycard)

Perfect Dark is much better for AI, at least when the guards here gun fire, they investigate, and sometimes if you shoot the gun out of their hands, they'll either try to pick it back up, or they'll surrender...

But the AI doesn't necesarily effect the game so much, Goldeneye, to some, is considered as the best FPS cos it was the first and most original on the N64!

I was gonna type loads more but my messages have ben getting a bit long lately...

Sun 08/04/01 at 12:36
Regular
To answer your post, the AI is less intelligent then the human playerbecause they are not advanced enough to follow their own routes properly.
The way they create bots in Perfect Dark is to go into the same routes which you will eventually learn easily in a matter of time. Same goes for Racing games, and Sports games alike.
The main problem is that the AI is never a challenge, but when it comes to Bots vs Players it's easy to say the players are the winners already.
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The best AI I have yet seen in any game has to be the cars on MSR or TOCA, but both have their failings.

On MSR it's all too easy to ram an opponent into an oncoming barrier, they don't seem to anticipate that move as often as they should, maybe they think you are going to 'play fair' or something.

TOCA's AI is superb, to an extent, but you still get the odd rookie spinning off in the dry, and even on the ultra difficulty settings you can still clip Alain Menu and make him flip on a corner.

At present it seems to be a case of developers trying to reach a balance between gameplay and realism. Deus Ex is a very good game, but some of your enemies just run away in a straight line, making it very easy to just shoot them in the back as they try to escape, most of us would zig zag or duck more if we were in their place.

Consoles seem to lack the 'space' for AI to be given full reign, and the most advanced AI gaming is currently seen on the PC, where power and speed allow great graphics at fast framerates, but also allowing that extra space to cram in some extra AI. Look at most flight simulators in battle mode, your opponents are expertly programmed, something that the consoles seem to cut corners on.

I think as the next generation of consoles become fully utilised, we should start to see some pretty impressive AI opponents and characteristics in games within the next 12 months. 5 year from now these games will be so 'expert' that we'll find it difficult to work out if we are playing against a human opponent or an artificial one.
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:32
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
AL=ALmost fell out of my chair when I read that!
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:29
Regular
Lets all go LOL
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:28
lol!
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:27
Regular
lol AL!
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:26
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> It's AI on most systems except for the N64. They have their own
> terminology.

AL = Advanced Lethargy

Advanced drowsiness

Ok I'm a 64 fan so i did mean AL
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:26
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> It's AI on most systems except for the N64. They have their own
> terminology.

AL = Advanced Lethargy

Lol! unfortunately that is all to true.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.