GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I feal bad."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/03/04 at 20:42
"slightlyshortertagl"
I just uninstalled the UDAgent thing-ma-bob from my PC. You know the one that does small-pox reasearch?

I found out (thanks to my brand, spanking new sidebar) that t'was taking up 57% of my CPU power and stuff.

So it went.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:18
Regular
"Meh"
OK, I just care muchos for my laptop, it does seem fragile when the CPU is under load.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:09
"I love yo... lamp."
Two things Icky: firstly regarding heat, current Athlons are rated to be safe at up to 85 degrees celsius. It is the same I believe for P4s etc. Point is it shouldn't really shorten the life of the CPU, at least not in a timescale that anyone would still be using it, i.e. instead of lasting 10 years, a heavily overclocked CPU is projected to last 7 and a half years.

Regarding laptops, some have racked up huge amounts of time and molecules. I've run it on a Compaq Presario, but I nearly burned my legs on it after 24 hours non stop.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:05
"I love yo... lamp."
Blank wrote:
> VenomByte wrote:
> Run find-a-drug. It's a background process, so it will not interfere
> whatsoever with anything you do. It costs you nothing, and
> potentially does the world good.
>
> Or bad.

Having had an uncle die just 3 weeks ago of cancer, I fail to see how saving lives could really be construed as a bad thing.

Though a conspiracy theorist once suggested to me that they could probably cure cancer if a lot of money was put into, but that the governments would rather they all just died, to help ease the pensions crisis etc.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:05
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
HálloHowArtThou wrote:
> My PC is dying, I think I'll pass on these uber-research things.
> Anyway, my sidebar rocks.

My sidebar, you ignorant cretin.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:03
Regular
"Meh"
By the way, before you lot cuss me bad (Digitiser speak), I do support all of these idle CPu usage program thingys. Anyway -

when your CPU is idle, and whatever client uses up the remaining CPU power, it does mean it's now producing more heat, and using more electricity. That's fine because there isn't really a significant difference to power usage (your mother won't be going, "WHAT??? £200 for the electricity bill this quarter?!?!"), but if your CPU is already overclocked and running hot without the neccessary cooling device, it'll shorten the life of your CPU.

Which won't be a problem if you have a HSF for your CPU. But it's bad for laptops, especially when on your lap; so nyeh.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:03
"I love yo... lamp."
HHAT: A PC doesn't slowly die. It works until it doesn't, binary to the end I suppose.

gamezfreak: So could yours go to saving the world!

VB: He's a very wise man, listen to him. Oh and IF I ever manage to get my hands on a Thermalright heatsink, the 2.3 GHz Athlon goes up to 2.5 GHz. Prepare to eat cyber dust!

cookie monster: No for several reasons. 1) I don't believe in aliens and don't expect to ever find any; 2) Even if there are, I think curing cancer and HIV would be ever so slightly more beneficial to mankind, solve our problems before we get a whole new set as it were and 3) Find A Drug is a smaller project and one that the SR team can rank fairly high in. Number 58 at last check.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:01
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
VenomByte wrote:
> Run find-a-drug. It's a background process, so it will not interfere
> whatsoever with anything you do. It costs you nothing, and
> potentially does the world good.

Or bad.
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:57
Regular
"Meh"
I used to, but only because my bro did and I wanted to beat him. He's done, like 50000 units or something.
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:53
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Does anyone here use SETI?
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:51
Regular
"smile, it's free"
57% all the time? 57% on average? 57% when idle?

Anyway, Big it up for Biggles and his recommendation :)

Run find-a-drug. It's a background process, so it will not interfere whatsoever with anything you do. It costs you nothing, and potentially does the world good.

Hell, I often leave my computer on overnight just so the thing has more time to run. and so my score can slowly catch up with the aforementioned poster ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.