GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Visual Basic"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/03/04 at 13:18
Regular
I am going to start to try and learn Visual Basic, i was wondering what software i would have to use to start coding a program.
Do i have to buy any software?
Does anyone know of any good tutorials/programs which could get me started?
Thanks,
James
Tue 16/03/04 at 19:00
Regular
"Meh"
Want to scout out the competition, eh?
Mon 15/03/04 at 18:37
Regular
Yes, to be honest I know nothing about OO, I don't even know what it is.

But still, pointers are pretty god damn useful.
Mon 15/03/04 at 13:48
Regular
"relocated"
I've only used Python a bit but I've heard other people say that it's a nice language to start off with. I think gentoo uses it for portage too, so you should love it! C++ was the first language I learnt properly and I'm not sure it was the right choice. I think it's better to learn about OO programming concepts before you get bogged down by memory management or pointers.
Mon 15/03/04 at 12:41
Regular
Muh, Python....

I've always branded Python as a trend, in a few years time people will probably abandon it in place for a newer language that's seems to be widely accepted. Like Perl or something.

C is pretty god damn cool though ;)
Mon 15/03/04 at 12:15
Regular
"relocated"
I would learn Java, Python or C++ instead of Visual Basisc, which is a hideous mess of a language. I just started learning Java and it's a joy to program in compared to C++ (and anything else I've used except the useless-in-real-life Smalltalk).
Mon 15/03/04 at 12:05
Regular
Actually, most of the simple java syntax's are the same as what C uses.
Sun 14/03/04 at 23:28
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
gamezfreak wrote:
> C is generally pretty hard yes, I think it's best if you learn a bit
> of the fundementals of programming, that way you'll have a better
> understanding on how programming works.

I would agree. Programming isnt really about learning a language its about learning a concept. If you know the concept you can program in anything once you learn the syntax of that language. At Uni we do Java but I could use what I know to program in C within a short space of time, just got to know what the syntax is.
Sun 14/03/04 at 21:24
Regular
""
There is a huge difference between Visual Basic and Visual Basic for Applications. Way to many to go into here.

Best place to start is to google for some beginner guides. Otherwise we'd be here forever.

VB is normally an easier choice for a beginner but its all a matter of choice. Personally i started with VB and must say found the switch to C and Java kinda tough going. But thats just me. Industry has been moving towards Java for a while with the growth of web services.

A 'visual' language such as VB going to be easier for a beginner but that requires an IDE (the java version 'swing' is pretty much useless). C requires only a compiler which can be downloaded free.

Best bet is to get hold of VB by whatever means and download yourself a beginners guide. Youll see results a lot quicker than starting with something like C as mentioned before. Youll be creating simple forms in a matter of minutes.
Sun 14/03/04 at 19:22
Regular
C is generally pretty hard yes, I think it's best if you learn a bit of the fundementals of programming, that way you'll have a better understanding on how programming works.
Sun 14/03/04 at 19:19
Regular
What programs would i need to learn C?

Could you give me some info please, is it hard to learn?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.