GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats better Unreal T or Quake III ?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/01 at 08:03
Regular
I want a doom clone type game and was woundering what everyone things is going to be best Unreal or Quake?

I have £39 burning a hole in my pocket, however dont want to waste it. Instinct tells me quake but I have not heard much about the PS2 version and Unreal is supossed to be good apart from a few glitches.

What does everybody else think I should spend my money on? Then there's always Gun Griffin Blase which I like the look of, even if some reviews are a bit crappy.
Sat 14/04/01 at 22:45
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
True that those games are out on PC but PS2 has a lot of games that are out and are coming out that will never see the light of day on a PC. Mean while the PS2 gets conversions of some of the PC games. People buy the PS2 as its cheap and it plays games. PC's also do that but a decent one which will be needed cost over 3 times the cost of the PC. You get errors, incompatiablity, have to keep installing games if you run out of room for all your games. I have a PC and dont use it for games at all. It can run the games quite well as it has a good graphics card, e.t.c but to play games on the PS2 is alot easier.
Sat 14/04/01 at 18:53
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hmmm. Funny. I seem to recall both these games coming out on the PC quite a while ago. I picked up UT Gold Edition for a tenner. And then there are you PS2 fans who are spending £40 (thats a lot cheaper than N64 isn't it!!) on a game that came out ages ago. True Quake III is more recent, but if you have a PC, buy it for that for cheaper, with much better multiplayer and all round polish.
Sat 14/04/01 at 09:13
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
Just thought I would let you know. I bought Quake III and Im pleased to say that I made the correct decision. The gfx are unreal and its so fast.

Maybe its me, but it would have been better to be able to use a Keyboard though. With it being so fast when the action gets going it's had to keep control with the dual shock.

SR's review of this game is about right. Love it.

Anyway thanks for all the info and suggestions.
Thu 12/04/01 at 20:07
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I just saw the PSW DVD as its got Quake 3 on it. And with seeing both game in action on the PS2 and reading reviews e.t.c. I would say get Quake 3 now. It looks good, plays good, got extra special maps and game play modes. More weapons. It does look very good indeed. I have the PC version and I would be tempted to buy this. I dont think I would as I dont have friends that like computer games. One does but he sticks to PC only. Didnt even want to have a look at the GT3 demo, or any of the good PS2 games.
They say that Q3 is even better than TS but only just.
Tue 10/04/01 at 10:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I have only played them on the PC, but prefered UT. I thought Q3 was rubbish. But then got into it. Both games are good on the PC but for PS2 I dont know. I have seen UT and it looks pretty good but there is slow down which would be a big pain. Q3 has come from no were, I havent seen it moving yet. The best thing is to try to get some game DVDs from the mags and see which one looks the best.
Tue 10/04/01 at 08:57
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Quake three better by far.
(I wrote a review on Quake as well that could help decide).
Mon 09/04/01 at 09:08
I know, but that is PC. Porting can make a huge difference to a game.
Sun 08/04/01 at 22:59
Regular
I've only ever played them on PC, and UT is much better.
Sun 08/04/01 at 22:55
Quake 3 is definetely the better of the 2 as UT is precisely a PC port that ended up with such glitches as framerate slowdown. The people at EA have definetely done a good job getting a 9/10 in Official Playstation 2 Magazine.

Why Buy Quake 3?

Looks the dog's, plays like lightning with incredible speed and advanced particle and lighting effects.

Why Leave Quake 3?

Not as immersive as Timesplitters.

GRAPHICS: Never seen anything like it on the PS2. 10/10
SOUND: Brooding and spooky, Nice touch. 8/10
GAMEPLAY: Great, fast, responsive and creamy. 9/10
LIFESPAN: A touch too shallow maybe? 7/10

OVERALL: 9/10

But in all fairness, first person shooters and other games for the PS2 aren't going to come alive until online playability and even when it does, special online multiplayer versions of games such as Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Revolution, and Timesplitters will come out of nowhere and take another £35-£40 of us for the privelege.

One key for Quake III's success was in the surprise as well as there was no or very little hype coming up to the release of the game, screenshots or videoclips were like golddust. And out of the blue comes this great first person shooter and the difference is clear. Quake 3 is the best between them and Unreal Tournament. But the team at Free Radical Design made sure that their baby Timesplitters stays at the top with their unbeatable immersive gameplay.
Sun 08/04/01 at 10:21
Yes, on the PC frontier. The PS2 version is almost ruined by the slowdown.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.