GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats better Unreal T or Quake III ?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/01 at 08:03
Regular
I want a doom clone type game and was woundering what everyone things is going to be best Unreal or Quake?

I have £39 burning a hole in my pocket, however dont want to waste it. Instinct tells me quake but I have not heard much about the PS2 version and Unreal is supossed to be good apart from a few glitches.

What does everybody else think I should spend my money on? Then there's always Gun Griffin Blase which I like the look of, even if some reviews are a bit crappy.
Thu 05/04/01 at 08:03
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
I want a doom clone type game and was woundering what everyone things is going to be best Unreal or Quake?

I have £39 burning a hole in my pocket, however dont want to waste it. Instinct tells me quake but I have not heard much about the PS2 version and Unreal is supossed to be good apart from a few glitches.

What does everybody else think I should spend my money on? Then there's always Gun Griffin Blase which I like the look of, even if some reviews are a bit crappy.
Thu 05/04/01 at 09:12
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
have you considered timesplitters....great deathmatches and it also has story modes and arcade modes + challenge mode....plus when you eventually get tired of all the levels you can create your own with the level designer. 4 player blast action with not even a sniff of slow down in 4 player mode all running at a blistering 60fps..and it shows

dont qoute me on this but i think OPS2 suggested you chose timesplitters over quakeIII for the sheer depth of gameplay

but as they say ....the choice is yours

all 3 are smashing titles
Thu 05/04/01 at 11:49
Im an avid fan of most games 1st person, but when i walked to my local Gamestation and found Quake 3 Revolution sitting on the shelf i didnt think twice and ran straight home!!

To my disappointment Quake3 was an N64ish looking, slow conversion of probably my favourite PC game!!!
The loading times are abismal 30-40secs beyween each match and in campaign mode some matchs last only 30secs due to only 5 frags being required to complete the stage!!!

Also, upon looking closely, there is !!CONSTANT!! LAG!!
The picture apparantly shifts at a tasty 60fps, but in reality the screen jerks all over the place, it makes it difficult to play!!

The graphics are pretty much up to scratch but it seems to me that this is hastily rushed conversion aiming to beat the forever put back release of PS2 UT.
Thu 05/04/01 at 14:05
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
Thanks for the info,

How come Gamestation had a copy of Quake III, I thought it wasn't released until Friday?
Thu 05/04/01 at 18:16
Today actually. You probably saw a display case, like I did in game.
Thu 05/04/01 at 19:03
Regular
"Whatever!"
I have Quake III on Dreamcast which is awesome!! I dont know about the PS2 version though, should be a more than decent effort. Ive never played Unreal Tournament and have been waiting for it to come out. Now I dont know whether to get it for the DC or PS2??
Hopefully I should get my copy of GunGriffon Blaze soon - This is another title I have been anticipating, although it hasnt been getting rave reviews it still looks like being a great game!!
Fri 06/04/01 at 09:18
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
This is probably a stupid question but for the PS2 how many Quake III games are there.

I have seem references to Quake III, Quake III Revalations and Quake III Arena. Are these all the same or is there going to be more than one game this year. One mag said quake was not going to be out until the end of the year and yet its out today.
Fri 06/04/01 at 12:44
Regular
"accidental superher"
OK first things first i don't own either the dreamcast or playstation 2 versions of UT or Q3.....BUT i have got them both on the PC and have played them both endlessly.

Personally i prefer q3...i think it's because it's much faster and the deathmatch maps are IMO much better than UT. Also some might complain that the weapons in Q3 don't have secondary fire like in UT but frankly it really doesn't matter. I don't really like the guns in UT for some unknown reason. also once you get one of the better weapons like the flak cannon...you just don't use any of your other weapons any more such as the enforcers. In q3 though i found a use of all the guns even though obviously the rocket launcher is the favorite for most people.

UT though has loads more modes but i'm more a deathmatch person so Q3 suits me just great...

Also i've heard that in the ps2 version of q3 there isn't any mouse support (seems to be laziness on the develepor's side) and so you have to use the somewhat dodgy controller to play...I think UT on ps2 does support the mouse...cos when playing these sort of fps you have to have a mouse and keyboard (ok you don't HAVE to but it is preferable).
Fri 06/04/01 at 18:22
I know it's up to you - but get Quake III. UT's slowdown affects play.
Fri 06/04/01 at 19:07
saesee wrote:
> Today actually. You probably saw a display case, like I did in game.

Well if i had seen a display case how come i took it home and played on it?

I took my copy back and they swapped it 4 a new CD. It works excellently now and is faster too, a duff copy maybe????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.