GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I must escape this place"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/02/04 at 00:50
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Living in Harlow gets you down. Even doing something like sitting quietly in your car waiting for someone can end up being quite a traumatic experience. That's just what I was doing this afternoon, parked quite happily on the side of the road waiting for a friend, when some utter nutjob decided that he'd start to pound on the windows of the car behind him, threatening them with death.

I've no idea what they did - I heard no noises of a crash, or an altercation until he kicked off - and it's obvious this ape didn't know who he was threatening. Yet I've never seen such wanton destruction for next to no reason - I physically cannot understand how something as pedestrian as cutting someone up or driving too close to someone can install such rage in people. The poor bloke and his wife inside were obviously terrified, and I wouldn't blame them - I was parked about 50 metres down the road, and I panicked a bit. I wouldn't care to think what I'd do in the same situation (although Bill Hicks had the right idea in his insight of the LA riots - "step on the f***ing gas, man!"). I just sat dumbstruck as this gorilla pounded away his frustration before driving off, probably to stab a policeman before having underage sex with a criminal gypsy.

It's all change at the moment. I was all set to go away to a lovely university at Bournemouth in September and although I knew there was always a possibility I wouldn't get accepted (my grades weren't exactly ideal and I applied too late), I was gutted when I got the dreaded letter on Wednesday morning, incidentally around 5 days after I quit my job. So, it was back to square one - find another course at another Uni, which isn't as easy as you might think. As it stands, I'm applying to do a good course at a Uni I'm not exactly enamoured with, again with the possibility of being knocked back. If it doesn't happen, I'll be left with no job and many debts to pay. I'll have to slink back into full-time employment when I had my heart set on 3 years of less stressful education, with occasional bouts of binge-drinking and lady-conquering. This does not instill me with a great deal of joy, and although I'm more than capable of working at the publications I yearn to work for, the people with those little bits of paper with the funny letters on them will tend to overshadow me.

Of course, if Uni falls through again, then I'll be left deflated, and still very much in Harlow. There's always the possibility of moving out and getting my own place, but there's questions of money, questions of employment and questions of roommates that would need to be answered before I can venture out on my own.

I'm babbling, so I'll cut it short - I hate this place, and most of the things in it. I'm trying to change, trying to adapt and evolve, but it keeps dragging me back in. And the worst thing is, every time I sit down and try to move myself forward, apathy just drags me back in again. I guess I really just need a new start - new job, new house, new everything.

Signing off.
Thu 04/03/04 at 16:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Buck1 wrote:
> Raramedics.

Hey, Scoob!
Thu 04/03/04 at 16:24
Regular
"100% Sonic fan"
I live in SE Essex and its not very nice Shortage of everything good. Police, Raramedics. all the essentials that labour promised. I used to live on a estate were the council neglected and "dumped" people in there. Police fount 1000 used needle's on the estate in the woods. Luckily i got off but it werent easy and there were some nice people there.
Thu 04/03/04 at 16:18
Regular
At least you don't live in a scary League of Gentlemen-esque town, with a fair few 'village shops' and odd old people who don't seem to die, just wander around for hours on end, every night, doing nothing.

Evil, evil place.
Thu 04/03/04 at 16:10
Kat wrote:
> Icarus wrote:
> I'm in my first year at Manchester right now. And looking back at my
> post, Cardiff is definitely *the* best place in Wales for nightlife.
>
> How's your first year going? What mischief have you got up to so far?

I'm still a little bit behind all the 24 hour workers, but I'm coping. As for mischief, I've managed to sleep with every girl from Emporium. Yeah, I wish.
Thu 04/03/04 at 15:36
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Icarus wrote:
> I'm in my first year at Manchester right now. And looking back at my
> post, Cardiff is definitely *the* best place in Wales for nightlife.

How's your first year going? What mischief have you got up to so far?
Thu 04/03/04 at 14:19
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Icarus wrote:
"Bristol is a dup, all the buildings are old... even the Boots store is grngy on the outside. Lots of sandwich shops there though, and at least their accents aren't annoying."
-----

Hey! You don't like it? Don't come here!

It is what it is. And, for that, we appreciate it... (Sort of)

Aside from all the drug-dealing, mugging, early-morning attacking and other crimes that go on, it ain't that bad a place.

Plus, it was in our city that Tony Blair was struck with a tomato, right on his back - can you honestly say that about where you live?!?

NO! :)
Thu 04/03/04 at 13:21
I'm in my first year at Manchester right now. And looking back at my post, Cardiff is definitely *the* best place in Wales for nightlife.
Thu 04/03/04 at 13:15
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Icarus wrote:
> Looking at a prospectus is no substitute to checking it out... but if
> you don't have time, maybe you can get opinions from past students
> elsewhere, such as learning forums or friends?
>
> Again, I can't comment with those unis other than two, so I can't
> compare them with each other. Bristol is one of high reputation, but
> also known for a bit of snobbery. Employers may look down at this in
> ordinary jobs, but if you're looking to do research or sciences after
> then I doubt it will hinder your progress.
>
> Cardiff is another vibrant city; I'm not sure about the nightlife
> (last time I stayed overnight I was way too young to go out at night,
> but from friends who have been to open days the uni is really good
> socially, probably the best in Wales.

Ok, thanks, you've been really helpful. Where are you at? Or are you going this Sept?
Thu 04/03/04 at 13:05
Looking at a prospectus is no substitute to checking it out... but if you don't have time, maybe you can get opinions from past students elsewhere, such as learning forums or friends?

Again, I can't comment with those unis other than two, so I can't compare them with each other. Bristol is one of high reputation, but also known for a bit of snobbery. Employers may look down at this in ordinary jobs, but if you're looking to do research or sciences after then I doubt it will hinder your progress.

Cardiff is another vibrant city; I'm not sure about the nightlife (last time I stayed overnight I was way too young to go out at night, but from friends who have been to open days the uni is really good socially, probably the best in Wales.
Thu 04/03/04 at 11:01
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Icarus wrote:
>
> Don't let me put you off; if the course detailslooks good to you,
> then I guess it's worth applying for; and if it's your fifth choice,
> you'll be extremely unlucky if you actually get to Bristol. It's a
> good university, one of the best in fact; just rather old in
> tradition, akin to Oxford.
>
> What's more, if you're taking the foundation year, chances are your
> first choice will probably take you - judging by what I've read, the
> year really puts you in the right frame of mind for university, so
> that initial panic period that most people get during their first
> semester (especially if you're taking a science subject) simply won't
> be there.
>
> I can't say much for the other unis you've mentioned, other than
> Manchester: Woo yeah!!! etc.

Well, the social aspect is really important to me, so I think Bristol may be a bad choice, maybe I'll put it as my sixth choice! I did think Derby was going to be one of my choices, but from looking at the prospectus it seems really dull, am I right to think that?

Ok, so out of Leicester, Bristol, Derby, Cardiff, Aberdeen and Aberystwyth which 2 would you recommend for good social & good study?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.