GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Music catagorisation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/02/04 at 09:17
Regular
Not a long topic this.

Music is catagorised into various catagories, right?

Some examples would be:

Rock
Nu-Metal
Pop
R&B
Hip Hop
Soul
Reggae
and so on.

Obviously everyone has their preferences, however, there are those that wont give a band/singer a chance if they appear to be from one catagory but aren't, if they dress a different way to the stereotypical image of the catagory, or if they sing a song from a different catagory to what they normally do.

Why not look past the catagories and just enjoy the music. Judge it by what it sounds like and how it effects you. Don't judge it purely on the basis of a label.

I leave it to you to discuss.
Wed 25/02/04 at 20:32
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Timmargh wrote:
> I used to hate dance music on principal

Widge wrote:
> Ahhh? What principle?

Most of the people I knew who were into dance music were t**ts, so I assumed it melted your brain.
Wed 25/02/04 at 15:10
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
My Best buy recently was the LOTR soundtrack, and RageAgainstTheMachine's first album.

Both quality.
Wed 25/02/04 at 14:46
Regular
A lot of money is made from generic music.

It may not be much good, but it sells.

There are those who like it. Again, if people like it, then that's up to them. I can't tell others what they should and shouldn't like.
Wed 25/02/04 at 13:53
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Ice T said it best in the intro to Bodycount.
Wed 25/02/04 at 13:15
Regular
I think it's terrible that people are allowed to produce this crappy boyband/girlband pop music. It's damaging to the arts, and children should be exposed to good music, not a group of people with no singing talent, pretty much naked, rubbing their crotches all over a stage.

If the sex issue was completely removed from music, half the pop industry would collapse overnight.
Wed 25/02/04 at 13:10
Regular
I only judge it on whether it is talentless crap or displays obvious talent and contributes to the worlds arts.

the genre is unimportant - I am regularly surprised by good songs in genres I generally don't like.
Wed 25/02/04 at 13:08
Regular
Exactly - music should be about what you enjoy as opposed to what catagory it is in.

There was a stage where I wasn't sure what I liked.

Then I was introduced to bands such as The Offspring, Linkin Park, Everclear and at present, they're what I enjoy.

But I don't choose to listen to them because of the catagories they fall into, as I know a lot of people do, but I listen to them because I enjoy the music.
Wed 25/02/04 at 12:36
Regular
"Excommunicated"
My mind changes a lot, just depends if I like it or not.

I hated Incubus but I like their new song
I never used to like Rage Against the Machine or Jameriqui or however you spell it

I used to like Greenday and now I don't really

But through numerous artists and songs I hate R&B
Wed 25/02/04 at 12:01
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Yeah, Outkast are pretty nice, providing some interesting sounds that differ from the norm. I just despair at how much 'girl you are so fine' generic rubbish can get shunted over to us. Nelly's stuff is criminally bad.
Wed 25/02/04 at 11:48
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Widge wrote:
> Its a shame that the generic stuff is all that you hear about.

I despise Gangsta style rubbish, but Outkast are pushing hip hops boundaries.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.