GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What RAM to buy, help needed!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/02/04 at 22:01
Regular
Right I am just abouts to order some new RAM for my PC. The motherboard I am buying will be the - Abit AN7 nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-044-AB) - chipset and I am running a 2600 XP + with Windows XP (Service Pack 1 installed). I am basically looking for the fastest, most reliable and best overclocking RAM out there at the moment.

Firstly, is it worth getting PC 3700/4000 DDR Ram? I have seen 2 x 512mb of Geil PC3700 DDR RAM for £200 delivered. I will be clocking my FSB at around 200 however depending on cooling I may take it higher. Would this RAM work with this mobo? It supports Dual DDR 400 RAM and all 3 slots can be used.

Would it be worth the extra money to get PC 3700 RAM or would PC 3200 RAM do? I am looking for the best RAM with the lowest latencys for high end gaming. Money isn't really an object so just fire away with your suggestions.

Cheers!
Thu 04/03/04 at 20:42
Regular
"freedom, not peace"
well 512 should be perfect for any one unless you expect to run more that 20 programs
Mon 01/03/04 at 17:09
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh, 2GB or 1GB sounds good to me. I have 216 or whatever ram. Gonna be getting an extra 512 MB soon though :). Doesn't really matter how much RAM I have, just so long as everything works nice and fast.

Basically the more stuff you have clogging up your computer, the worse it is :). 512 should be enough for anybody with a virus scanner.
Mon 01/03/04 at 09:00
Regular
"freedom, not peace"
Ok first of al I would accept 2 gig of ram if someone was gonna give it to me but i would only put 1 gig in atb the moment as that is al the speed i need and second there is gonna be a big fight at school. BRING IT ON AD!!!!
Sat 28/02/04 at 23:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Nono I meant cutting edge, as in "bought the week after it was released".
Sat 28/02/04 at 20:41
Regular
9800 XT is cutting edge and not a gimmick. I wasn't ripped off purchaing the best graphics card on the market.
Sat 28/02/04 at 20:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah an awful lot of stuff is false economy. As long as you stay away from cutting-edge stuff, as you always end up being ripped off.
Sat 28/02/04 at 12:44
Regular
"Run With Scissors"
F**k the puddington (i go to school wid him, lets just say my fist is gonna be implanted in his face) the powerful the better
Fri 27/02/04 at 22:30
Regular
Agreed. That was my reasoning behind getting a 9800 XT. Instead of spending £100-150 now and then again at the end of the year I thought it would be worth getting one that would last a good while. It set me back at the time but it will hopefully be worth it in the long run.
Fri 27/02/04 at 22:08
Regular
Pudington wrote:
> be honest who needs that much speed on there computer i mean 1 gig
> will run yer comp at a super high speed!!!!

Only people who do not have the luxuries of it would say that.

Why protest against more power? I mean, if you were offered 2GB of ram, you woudln't go "I'd never need that much, so no", would you?

Same goes for the 9800XT and equivalents. Spend on the best and you won't have to do it again in a long time.
Fri 27/02/04 at 19:11
Regular
So i was right thinking that the bandwidth doubles not the fsb, i thought it was a bit strange as the cpu would also have to run at twice the memory fsb.

Colin

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.