GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Too many..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/02/04 at 17:15
Too many damn smokers in the world, i think i have made a topic on this a while ago but i will do it again.
Walking home today with my mates, as i am waiting for them i see them asking loads of people for "fags".
So i ask them why they smoke, what is the point in it?
Them being them, they just say shut up.
But its true, what the hell is the point in smoking?
You waste your money on something that is very bad for you and could end up killing you.
One of my mates managed to get 3 fags, he was extremley annoyed at me after i hit the first fag out of his hand and onto the floor.
Then i done exactly the same to the other 2, he he he, he was more annoyed then i have seen him for a while.
You would think my mate would of learned his lesson after he got caught smoking on school grounds on Friday and they phoned his parents up. But the fool just doesnt learn.
I walk home with about 5-6 people, all of them smoke, normaly i try not to walk with them because the smell of smoke is just awfull, and it stays in your clothes, then other people think that you yourself smokes.
Just last week this lady pulled up at the middle school next to my high school to drop off her son, he must of been about 11-12, he got out the car smoking. His mum was smoking and his dad too, now thats upto their family but i think that, that is just pure wrong. There should be a law to how old you have to be before it is legal to smoke.
When you are walking down town you always get that person who is in front of you smoking, and the smoke is just drifting back right into you face and you just want to tap them on the shoulder and tell them to put it out.
But because it is 100% legal you cant really do that.
But it should be a law, you are not allowed to smoke in public places or near anyone who wishes not to be in the company of any cigarette smoke.

Your views on smoking, the law and the age limit.
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:29
Regular
EL ® ö B ì Ñ wrote:
> But its true, what the hell is the point in smoking?

What the hell is the point in anything?
Does your body NEED chocolate, fizzy drinks, ice-cream, any form of junk food at all? No, it could survive on water and muesli most probably. So why do you eat these foods? Enjoyment, purely for enjoyment. To indulge yourself because you can.

People have smoked for millenia, it is just another thing people do for pleasure, just like drinking alcohol. Other good examples are people bungy jumping, parachuting, driving cars fast. People who do this are called adrenaline junkies - they are addicted to a particular feeling. Smokers are addicted to a particular feeling too.

I guess the real question is - why do people START?

I remember the first time I tasted a cigarette it made me cough, I couldn't describe it as a pleasurable experience. But getting drunk I did enjoy. I started smoking properly when I was drunk, and still only really smoke when I am having a drink. I don't spend a lot of money on cigarettes - I probably buy about 20-30 a week, which is approximately £5.

I agree it can be unpleasant for those who don't smoke, and many times I myself have been sat in a smoke filled room and thought "This is horrible". I do plan to stop in the not too distant future, and it's not through lack of willpower, I simply don't want to stop just yet. Perhaps when I've got proper commitments such as my own house, that will focus my mind a little and convince me stopping is necessary. There are no doubts it has a detrimental effect on health as well. Try playing football, or Aerobie on a sunday afternoon after a heavy night on the tabs, and you soon find that out.
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:30
Any way i can try and make a law that it is illegal to smoke in highly populated public places in Britain?
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:31
Regular
"Enchilladas"
EL ® ö B ì Ñ wrote:
>There should be a law to how old you have to be before it is legal to
> smoke.

There is you have to be 14 to be legal to smoke.

I hang around with about 20 people all and all and all of them smoke but it does'nt bother me at all.
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:32
Regular
EL ® ö B ì Ñ wrote:
> Any way i can try and make a law that it is illegal to smoke in highly
> populated public places in Britain?

I believe there are vast numbers of people already doing just that.
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:33
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
Robin, it's up to your friend if he wants to smoke or not. How old are you, 14, 15?? Therefore he's not a child and can make up his own mind. I'm sure he knows the risks involved with smoking but he choses to take those risks.

As for getting beaten up for cigarettes..he could get beaten up for anything, dinner money or a mobile phone for instance.

I'm sure that smoking hasn't made him a bad person, he's still your friend and as long as he's not pressuring you to do something you don't want to then leave him be!
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:34
Regular
"Twenty quid."
EL ® ö B ì Ñ wrote:
> Because i have known the guy all my life and since he has started
> smoking he has been in nothing but trouble.
> People beat him up for cigaretts, he gets told off for them, his
> parents moan at him and he just generally stinks.

So knocking his cigarettes onto the floor is going to help him, is it?

> Why is that childish?

It just is. Why not try and talk to him, voice your concerns and try to make him see you side of it. Whether or not smoking is wrong, knocking his cigarettes out of his mouth is bloody childish.

> Also they are damaging our planet with their smoke, Ozone layer or something.

Oh, good grief!
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Timmargh wrote:
> What made you think I smoked?

EL ® ö B ì Ñ wrote:
> The way you immediatly replied with that answer about me being childish.

I would've said it if I smoked or not. And I wasn't asking you anyway.
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:37
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
i know. I know not all non-smokers are against smoking. I'm sorry I was just guessing!
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:38
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Darling wrote:
> anyone who didn't smoke would not have said Robin was childish for
> stamping his mates cigarettes out.

I disagree. It's childish whether you're a smoker or not.

> People who smoke know how annoying it is at non-smokers going on at
> smokers about smoking as if people who smoke do not know that smoking
> is bad. Smokers know smoking is bad, but choose not to give a damn!

And your point?
Mon 09/02/04 at 17:39
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
my point is i guessed you smoked from your comment-wow let it drop!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.