GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Remind me to never watch a David Lynch film ever again..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/02/04 at 23:57
Regular
Mullholland Drive.

WTF?

I should have learned my lesson after watching Eraser Head.

*mumbles*

Never again. Never again.
Fri 06/02/04 at 11:17
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Darwock wrote:
> Pandaemonium, if I read your post right and that means you've never
> seen Twin Peaks, I would wait until you're sure you can see series 2
> onwards. Otherwise you're left with an almighty cliffhanger that will
> really p*ss you off.

I've seen the series in its entirety when it was first shown on BBC2, but really fancy going back over them with an older and (hopefully) more mature appreciation.

Thanks for the warning though, I remember the cliffhanger first time around and it really, really bugged me.

Jesus, that must be over13 years ago.
Fri 06/02/04 at 13:44
Regular
"cachoo"
Darwock wrote:
> And hey, Ms NY has figured it out. It's a dream up until she opens the
> box.

Seriously? Wow! That just ruined it.. Still a little confusing though. Everything about it is confusing, like the whole 'opera' thing, the ugly looking homeless thing, the ending, etcetc.

The DVD sucks too, you can't skip scenes!
Fri 06/02/04 at 13:49
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Ms NY wrote:
> The DVD sucks too, you can't skip scenes!

:-)

If you could skip scenes, guys would only watch it for the lesbian bits, and the rest of the film would never be seen.
Fri 06/02/04 at 13:52
Regular
"cachoo"
Heheh, that's very true!
Fri 06/02/04 at 13:56
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I didn't like it. I thought it was weird for the sake of weird. Sure, I got the bit about the dream and the way the character's roles reversed, but a lot of it was just added to confuse rather than for any particular reason.

Someone mentioned that it started out life as a pilot for a TV series, then was commissioned for a movie - well, that's exactly why a lot of stuff seems out of place, because it was meant for the series, where it might have made sense. The scary homeless troll guy for example. He just left it in on purpose, even though it's got nothing to do with anything.

Like I said, weird for the sake of weird. But hey, that's just my opinion. You might love it.

By the way, anyone want to explain what the mental old people were about at the end?
Fri 06/02/04 at 14:23
Regular
"That's right!"
Just checked IMDB and I can safely say I've never seen a Lynch film save for bits of Dune and Elephant Man.

Is that good or bad?
Fri 06/02/04 at 14:39
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
It's the least 'weird for the sake of it' of any of his movies, it's all pretty mundane. The homeless troll guy is a manifestation of Betty's horror at what she has done (remember it's still a dream at that point).

Lost Highway could definitely be said to be weird for weirdness sake, but there are still answers hidden in there.
Fri 06/02/04 at 15:41
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Is that good or bad?

Dune is bad. Very bad.
Fri 06/02/04 at 15:43
Regular
"Teal'c"
Dune - awful.
Sat 07/02/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Pandaemonium nailed Lynch.
You either love his work or hate it, I don't think there's a middle ground to it.
I absolutely, without doubt, think Lynch is a genius. A lot of the time, I haven't got a bloody clue what it's about - and I won't be pretentious enough to pretend and be all "Yeah, once I figured it out, it was mundane" etc etc.

Sometimes I get Lynch and what he means, other times I just scratch my head and am lost.
But the world, the feelings and the images he conjures really ring my bells.
Whether it's the lighting and set designs, they're almost painting-like in their beauty and richness or the sound editing and effects he employs -it can just evoke things in me.
Usually it's a mix of fear and confusion.
I remember the most unsettling thing I've seen in one of his movies:
Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me.

Laura Palmer and her mate sat at traffic lights in an open-top car. The one-armed man pulls up next to her and is screaming at her, the truck engine revving and revving, his twisted, furious face, the terror in her face. And all the while that screaming engine sound of the truck, his inaudible yelling, her crying...just made me feel scared and dirty.

That's why I love Lynch. I may not "get it", but I get the emotions in me and I like a director that can push my buttons without resorting to obvious tactics.
Cronenberg is another director that can whisper in your ear and make you shiver and feel twisted dirty.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.