GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fantasy Vs Reality"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/03/01 at 16:25
Regular
Saw a post today by Meka about games that have a level of realism not yet attainable.
I made some dodgy joke (as is my usual method) but it started me thinking, and I’m playing devil’s advocate here so allow me some leeway before y’all jump on my head….

Will there come a point when games are perfect reproductions of environments, graphically, aurally etc and is this a good thing?
The reason I say this is this:
I play most games because they offer something different, an escape from reality and the chance to pull off outrageous skateboard tricks/shooting matches etc that are plain impossible to do in real life.
But, with the advent of perfect graphics and AI, will the temptation be to recreate real-life situations just for the sake of it?

Like with GT3, yes it’s good but at the end of the day it’s just driving. I drive every day, to and from work and don’t really fancy the idea of a game where I drive.
Same with The Sims, I like it but went off it rapidly because I thought
“The Sims, almost real life!
A game where you create a home!
Get a job!
Get a girlfriend!
Make friends!
Get married!
Have kids!”
And then thought, hang on, I do this anyway why do I want to play a game of the past 27yrs in fast forward?

MGS2, different altogether. There aren’t that many of us that get to infiltrate ships, stuff baddies in lockers and hang from railings (well, a couple of my mates but I shall talk no more of this).

Airport Inc – Run an airport! …er….I could do that for real if I wanted to, may take some time but I can do that.

Unreal Tournament – Run about with HUGE weapons and blow people to little iddy biddy chunks of meat.

Football Games – Again, if I wanted to I could go out and play football tonight. Ok maybe not at international level, but the same game. Just more shouting and beer. And fag breaks.

My point is this:
When we are able to create lifelike scenarios, will we be swayed by games that offer us the chance to do real-life things but “oooh, it looks so lifelike”, or do we yearn for something that is just a little different and offers something that we can’t all go out and do tonight?
Thu 29/03/01 at 14:28
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Sorry Meka_Dragon, I had to get a Mario bashing comment in there, it was just to tempting. Anyways, that's my Nintendo poke for today....

You made your idea clearer in your recent post about realism, I thought you were essentially saying that all physics had to be realistic, though now I realise that some parts don't have to be (stars as an example).

If you ever read the book 'Weaveworld' by Clive Barker, that would be a good game to practice the physics on I think, because it combines realism in one world with altered reality in another, so you'd need two very big physics engines to handle it, (or just one big but clever physics engine), but that could be a great game.
Thu 29/03/01 at 14:17
Regular
"not dead"
No, I don't think they're real stars, merely little yellow five pointed replicas which represent the powers of something much greater.
Thu 29/03/01 at 14:13
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Wouldn't that mean that if Mario collected a star he'd get burnt?

YES!!
Thu 29/03/01 at 13:26
Regular
"not dead"
Back to the original post....

...Just because a game is set in a realistic environment, it doesn't mean that the way you play the game, and the objectives of the game have to be realistic.

I don't think that developers will want to create real life situations because anything we could do in 'real life' would surely be more fun in real life.

The aim for developers is to take these real life physics and environments, and let us do incerdible things there.

I want to be able to jump ridiculous heights and lengths around the realistic environment, not wander into Tesco's to buy some tea!

The way I can see games developing over the course of this century is not to make games with life like objectives, (get a lowly job and sweep your way to the top!), but to create games of incredible fantasy, set in believeable environments.

In most games of today, grass is meremy green stuff that doesn't do much. I want my grass to be wet with morning dew, patchy, and of various lengths. Walking through it should also make your footwear look wet. It's not an important aspect of the objectives of the game, but it's one of those feautres that makes it a little special.

So I'm not asking to play Mr Benjamin Langley: Internet Operations Trainee (though I'm sure this game would excite you lot), I still want to take my lil' fat plumberaround collecting stars. I just want him to collect these stars in environments that follow a few of the laws of nature!

As I've said before, developers will be hard pushed to make games bigger in terms of quests, it's eye candy that sells to Joe Bloggs: Mr Casual Gamer, and if he can see the wind blowing through Lara's hair, he'll buy it. Maybe just to see if Lara comes out of the lake with a wet T-shirt, but it will sell copies of games.

Environmental realism in fantasy worlds for me please!
Thu 29/03/01 at 00:11
Regular
Pillage means to dispoil anything you cant steal or rape.

After you've one a battle you go back to your defeated enemies town/city whatever, then plunder, ie find all the food and drink and consume it all. Rape, pretty self explanatory. Pillage, mess up anything you cant take with you, so whatever is left of your foe has to destroy it themselves, THUS making defeat even worse for the surviving members of your foe!
Thu 29/03/01 at 00:06
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Pillage means to raid something... I think.

It means to Rob, or Steal, bacisally it means you are an evil theiving GIT!

Theiving?
Theving?
Hmmmm....
Thu 29/03/01 at 00:02
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I didn't know SNIPER was Scottish...Poor Lad!
Wed 28/03/01 at 21:16
Regular
I will.
Wed 28/03/01 at 21:14
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Now Sniper has answered me before my question.

Scotteeee - get meee out of heeeerrrree
Wed 28/03/01 at 21:13
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
I thinks you shud leave this guy alone Sniper.

A case of the spud calling the pink kettle blue!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.