GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jeez, this self improvement malarkey is expensive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/09/09 at 20:03
Regular
"That's right!"
So after years of self loathing I finally decided to try and fix everything that I don't like about myself physically, basically everything that I don't like when I look in the mirror. Sort of like a mid-life crisis except I'm only 25.

Some stuff is easy, like spending more on clothes and working out a bit more (I’ve been single for almost a year now so plenty of free time for that).

Got my front teeth fixed at the dentist a few weeks ago, that was the first and easiest thing on my list. I didn't have the mouth of a genetically limited redneck or anything, just one of my front teeth was at an angle, it had been pulled that way by my brace a few years ago to fill the gap. Set me back £108. Fair enough, should be a one off, but they did it by spending 30 minutes basically sanding the front teeth down so they were level and building them back up with whatever it is they use (not a filling, that other stuff) - potentially not permanent, in fact I have to be careful biting stuff like sellotape (not that I have a thing for biting sellotape). 108 quid... worth it though.

Teeth bleaching, still looking into, don't want them Hollywood "so white I must work in Colgate adverts" white, just whiter than they are (which admittedly aren't too bad as they, but it's still on the list).

Ingrown toe nail (wore indoor climbing shoes as part of a Rocky costume over a year ago because my boots didn't arrive in time, toe nails were crushed, went black, died and fell off, one has recently become ingrown as it grew back, hurts like a mofo) - luckily covered by the NHS. I’m having the sides removed and the nail bed killed so it can’t grow back by a chiropodist in October, then I have to go for regular checkups for a while after that to keep an eye on it. Also can't get it wet for a few weeks. Now I had problems keeping my toe out of the shower when they removed a sharp piece of toe nail as a temporary solution to try and ease the pain, and that was only for two days before I could remove the dressing, this is like a few weeks! Gonna end up wrapping it in a bin liner every morning...

Acne scarring - acne is something I've had since I was about 14. My brother had it too and his eventually cleared up and left little evidence, whereas I scar rediculously easy and have a carpet of scars covering my entire back and chest, as well as most of my face. It's not too bad now but I'm 25 with the skin of a 16 year old McDonalds employee, so as part of my not-so-mid-life crisis it's got to go. Got a quote the other day, £400 for my face, £300 for my chest, £800 for my back - blimey! I can afford it but still, that's a fair chunk. Just the other day they did a test lasering on about a quarter of my chest. It feels like you're getting slowly stabbed repeatedly with a hot needle, it doesn't hurt it's just a bit irritating. Anyway, gotta see how that goes, if that particular patch improves after three treatments they can do the rest.

Still to look at but will more than likely never do -

Correction to my slightly off centre right eye
Jaw realignment (I have an overbite like Bart Simpson)
Nose job

So, still a lot of work to do, but as soon as my teeth were fixed I felt more confident and stopped trying to hide my smile, or smile with my mouth shut (which just looks bizarre in photos when it's a full on laughing smile) so it's definitely working. But let this be a lesson to you kids, get your teeth and your acne sorted while you're young! (and still covered by the NHS). I could've had all this done years ago for a fraction of the price! Ah well, live and learn...
Thu 03/09/09 at 21:46
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Alfonse wrote:
> I once built a six-pack in a month.

I miss my abs. They're still there but you need to look hard nowadays.
As for the rest, I'm pretty well built for my height but that's left me with a problem in that I can't tell whether my arms are small or they just look small next to the rest of me.
Thu 03/09/09 at 20:22
Regular
"That's right!"
Steel Protagonist wrote:
> You'd be very lucky to pack on any decent muscle in that space of
> time. Especially on your arms. If you're naturally skinny then
> you can forget about it I'm afraid.
>
> As for yer gut, sit ups won't do anything to reduce fat. You'll
> have to do all round cardio for that.

Naaa, I've been working out on and off since I was 15, it's not like I'm devoid of muscle, I just tend to tone up rather than bulk up. I'll never end up like Arnold, but I'm not Mr Muscle either (the old ironic one, not the new seemingly Americanised version).

And I do step ups to take care of the small amount of fat that's recently appeared, the sit ups are to help tone it up a bit (though somehow my lopsided six pack from when I was 16 and used to do boxing training is still there)
Thu 03/09/09 at 19:13
Regular
Steel Protagonist wrote:
> You'd be very lucky to pack on any decent muscle in that space of
> time. Especially on your arms. If you're naturally skinny then
> you can forget about it I'm afraid.
>
> As for yer gut, sit ups won't do anything to reduce fat. You'll
> have to do all round cardio for that.

I once built a six-pack in a month.
I once taught myself to run 5 miles in a month.
Creatine is an absolutely awesome supplement ;P

Without it though, I kept muscle mass but lost all definition.
Thu 03/09/09 at 19:05
"Retarded List"
You'd be very lucky to pack on any decent muscle in that space of time. Especially on your arms. If you're naturally skinny then you can forget about it I'm afraid.

As for yer gut, sit ups won't do anything to reduce fat. You'll have to do all round cardio for that.
Thu 03/09/09 at 18:22
Regular
"That's right!"
I'm planning on going out for Halloween as Jesus 2 - The Revenge, which means a regular Jesus costume only with a machine gun, ammo belts and a t-shirt/vest with the title of my costume on it. If it's a vest (for the Die Hard image) I need my arms to look half way decent so I've been working out a fair bit lately, still got until the end of October to try and bulk up (considering I'm naturally thin that's not too easy).

Also, with old age I've realised I actually need to exercise to keep the gut away, when I was 16-20 I could eat and drink whatever I wanted and still stay slim, now I've been panicked into doing more sit ups, I'm considering taking up jogging again and maybe even cycling into work. Crikes!
Thu 03/09/09 at 12:56
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
LukeM wrote:
> I think we all at Freeola need to take a more deeper look into
> health and fitness, it's atrocious I don't here of any regular
> gym goers here and we work right next to a Complete Health and
> Fitness gym!!!!

Freeola footy team? :)
Thu 03/09/09 at 12:56
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
My exercise is pretty random at the moment: I'm too busy to get into a routine. I used to set a certain amount of time every day to exercising and that was really good and made me feel better about myself. But at the moment it's basically whenever I can find the time to go for a run/lift weights.

Never really been interested in the whole gym thing, maybe if I wanted to be super super fit but I'm happy with just working out at home. I really enjoy running too, gets me fresh air and up in the morning. I've got good motivation though which always helps: I have to be physically fit for my job (tested every few months by the wonderful fitness test!). If I wasn't fit to some standard I wouldn't be confident that I could do my job to the best of my ability. Wish I looked a bit tougher though! :)
Thu 03/09/09 at 12:53
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Butch goes often enough, and I think 1 other does.
Thu 03/09/09 at 12:34
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I think we all at Freeola need to take a more deeper look into health and fitness, it's atrocious I don't here of any regular gym goers here and we work right next to a Complete Health and Fitness gym!!!!
Thu 03/09/09 at 09:28
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Got my front teeth fixed at the dentist a few weeks ago, that
> was the first and easiest thing on my list. I didn't have the
> mouth of a genetically limited redneck or anything, just one of
> my front teeth was at an angle, it had been pulled that way by my
> brace a few years ago to fill the gap. Set me back £108.
> Fair enough, should be a one off, but they did it by spending 30
> minutes basically sanding the front teeth down so they were level

I've just had exactly the same thing done, albeit for different reasons. I chipped my tooth a few years ago (trying to adjust the time on my Omega watch... idiot).

My Dad is a dentist so he does all my work whenever I can be bothered to trek 7 hours to see him (West Wales, I live in Essex), and he did the exact same thing that you had done. This was about a year ago though, and just a few months ago I chipped the same tooth just be biting my nail, so I definitely recommend taking it easy on your tooth!

I've just come back from visiting my rents at the weekend actually, so my Dad did another repair job on my chipped tooth, so now very wary about biting anything with it, especially biting my watch.

Edit: By the way, I admire your efforts to improve your physical appearance though. I neither have the money or nerves to go through surgery of any kind just to look better. However, working out and general healthy living is something I need to take a look at in the near future (I'm 24).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.