GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The police"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/01/04 at 17:21
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
This post will be a list of questions with a few things stuck on here and there with double-sided sticky tape to bulk it out a bit.

So it’s a nice simple thread really. The police, what are your views on them, what do you all perceive the job of a police officer to encompass? What experiences and or dealings have you had with them and how have they left you feeling? But I would also like to know what your perceptions are on the different reactions the police receive from the public and any reasons for them.

I am very young in my service and have really only had a minuet taster of all things baton and cuff orientated. Before joining, during the whole application and indeed parts of the actual training I was as ignorant and blind to what the job really is, like most of the general public. I thought the job of a policeman was to be out there protecting the public and catching the bad guys. Having been in for half a year now, I can tell you this is our job, but only a part of it.

I can’t talk for every force, because each is different in the way that they operate due to the fact that they each have their own issues to tackle, but our force as a very proactive force. Of course we still have to be reactive, reacting to whatever the baddies get up to each day, but we also operate in a highly visible manner. Whenever we can we are out patrolling the streets in our incredibly stylish hi-vis jackets, (we’re not all fat by the way, it’s body amour under there). This part of policing I enjoy, I walk the city centre talking to the public, which can be very satisfying as some of the public will talk to you and tell you how nice it is to see the police out and about. I’m a friendly policeman, I will give you directions if you ask me nicely, I will even have my picture taken with you and talk about your cat if you so wish, it’s called building community relations.

However there are of course certain members of the public that no matter how polite you are to them, and despite the fact that you’re trying to help them will treat you like crap. I’m just wondering what mindset it is that causes this level of hatred and animosity towards the police? It’s not all down to previous dealings; some of this is just in-built for seemingly no reason.

Some guy parking in a disabled bay because he doesn’t want to pay for parking or walk from the car park. Politely pointing the offence out to him and telling him that he could be liable for a £30 ticket if he leaves his car there but that I wouldn’t give him one if he would move it, only to be greeted by, “oh for Gods sake, don’t you have anything better to do?”

Another time with the same situation the lady simply said it was because she had, had an operation on her leg so can’t walk far and she just needed to return an ironing board to a shop. She apologised and even said she would accept a ticket. A reasonable person giving me a reasonable reason, so I even offered to carry the item for her.

What causes the different levels of respect shown towards the uniform?

It just amazes me sometimes. One drunk trying to climb into his own shoe in a shop doorway will show you nothing but respect when you enquire about his welfare, another will tell you to “fark orf!” saying, “do you know who my dad is?” No sir, I don’t, have you tried asking your mother?

I’m rambling a little now, so I will stop and let you get on with answering my questions as best as you can.

“I pay your wages!”

Really sir, can I have a raise then please.
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:21
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
This post will be a list of questions with a few things stuck on here and there with double-sided sticky tape to bulk it out a bit.

So it’s a nice simple thread really. The police, what are your views on them, what do you all perceive the job of a police officer to encompass? What experiences and or dealings have you had with them and how have they left you feeling? But I would also like to know what your perceptions are on the different reactions the police receive from the public and any reasons for them.

I am very young in my service and have really only had a minuet taster of all things baton and cuff orientated. Before joining, during the whole application and indeed parts of the actual training I was as ignorant and blind to what the job really is, like most of the general public. I thought the job of a policeman was to be out there protecting the public and catching the bad guys. Having been in for half a year now, I can tell you this is our job, but only a part of it.

I can’t talk for every force, because each is different in the way that they operate due to the fact that they each have their own issues to tackle, but our force as a very proactive force. Of course we still have to be reactive, reacting to whatever the baddies get up to each day, but we also operate in a highly visible manner. Whenever we can we are out patrolling the streets in our incredibly stylish hi-vis jackets, (we’re not all fat by the way, it’s body amour under there). This part of policing I enjoy, I walk the city centre talking to the public, which can be very satisfying as some of the public will talk to you and tell you how nice it is to see the police out and about. I’m a friendly policeman, I will give you directions if you ask me nicely, I will even have my picture taken with you and talk about your cat if you so wish, it’s called building community relations.

However there are of course certain members of the public that no matter how polite you are to them, and despite the fact that you’re trying to help them will treat you like crap. I’m just wondering what mindset it is that causes this level of hatred and animosity towards the police? It’s not all down to previous dealings; some of this is just in-built for seemingly no reason.

Some guy parking in a disabled bay because he doesn’t want to pay for parking or walk from the car park. Politely pointing the offence out to him and telling him that he could be liable for a £30 ticket if he leaves his car there but that I wouldn’t give him one if he would move it, only to be greeted by, “oh for Gods sake, don’t you have anything better to do?”

Another time with the same situation the lady simply said it was because she had, had an operation on her leg so can’t walk far and she just needed to return an ironing board to a shop. She apologised and even said she would accept a ticket. A reasonable person giving me a reasonable reason, so I even offered to carry the item for her.

What causes the different levels of respect shown towards the uniform?

It just amazes me sometimes. One drunk trying to climb into his own shoe in a shop doorway will show you nothing but respect when you enquire about his welfare, another will tell you to “fark orf!” saying, “do you know who my dad is?” No sir, I don’t, have you tried asking your mother?

I’m rambling a little now, so I will stop and let you get on with answering my questions as best as you can.

“I pay your wages!”

Really sir, can I have a raise then please.
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:54
Regular
Slightly trivial, but I wish the idiots in the police helicopter would stick a silencer on the engine or something. It's no joke being woken up with that damn thing whirring near our estate at 3 in the morning. I'm currently putting together a home made flak cannon, out of a large metal drainpipe, a large tin of lighter fluid, a swan lighter, and a big bag of potatoes.

/rant over
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:54
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I think a big part of people treating the Police badly is that they think you're just there to stamp on them when they've done something wrong.

Personally, I have the utmost respect for the Police and I'm not simply saying that because I consider you a pal, but I know that your job isn't just giving people speeding tickets and throwing drunks in the cells for the night. People don't consider that one day you might be the first on the scene at a road accident and have to deal with injured and/or dead people, or that you might have to knock on someone's door soon afterwards to tell them that it was their son who was killed in that accident.

I've been stopped for speeding a few times and, while I've been annoyed at myself for getting caught, I've never lost my temper with the policeman who's stopped me because a) I was breaking the law, and b) he's doing his job.

As I've said in another thread, I smoke cannabis regularly to relieve pain. While a lot of people would agree with me doing this, it is against the law and if I was to ever get caught, I would accept any punishment because I know I was in the wrong. Yes, I'll be p***ed off at it happening, but I'll still accept it.

I take my hat off to you, English, and to my ex-missus' nephew - you're both going into a job that'll guarantee you a lot of unjust hatred purely for wearing a uniform and doing what you're paid to do and there aren't many people around who are prepared to do that. I certainly wouldn't, even if I was able bodied!
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:56
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Slightly trivial, but I wish the idiots in the police helicopter would
> stick a silencer on the engine or something. It's no joke being
> woken up with that damn thing whirring near our estate at 3 in the
> morning. I'm currently putting together a home made flak cannon, out
> of a large metal drainpipe, a large tin of lighter fluid, a swan
> lighter, and a big bag of potatoes.
>
> /rant over

Perfect example of the, "I want the police to catch the bad guys, but I don't want to experience any inconvenience while they do it”. I do understand what you mean though; I live near a park where the chopper flies around at least once a week.
Fri 23/01/04 at 18:03
"After 30 years in the police force, and having worked your way up the ranks, it's guaranteed that most of them will either be corrupt or at the very least twisted the law at least once for their own benefits."

And it's true, eh EB?
Fri 23/01/04 at 18:06
Regular
English_Bloke wrote:
> Perfect example of the, "I want the police to catch the bad
> guys, but I don't want to experience any inconvenience while they do
> it”. I do understand what you mean though; I live near a park where
> the chopper flies around at least once a week.

No, you're right, I shouldn't whinge, they could be helping apprehend car thieves or burglars. It just does my head in a bit.

I must admit to being disappointed with the police when we were robbed twice in as many years. They broke into the garage and took a lot of stuff. But I can understand that finding the people that did this must be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I guess it's just because I was young, and I was completely gutted I'd lost my new bike. I had high hopes of them finding it, but you don't understand when you're a kid.
Fri 23/01/04 at 18:09
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
What left you feeling disappointed?

How did the officers treat you at the time and how well did they keep you updated with what was going on?
Fri 23/01/04 at 18:11
Regular
English_Bloke wrote:
> What left you feeling disappointed?

Just that once all our statements were taken, we didn't hear from them again. I had another bike nicked from outside a leisure centre, and it was pretty much the same there. It's fair enough, these goods and people can be impossible to trace.
Fri 23/01/04 at 18:14
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Did the police tell you just how unlikely it was that your bike would be recovered?

Did they tell you when the investigation was finished?

It is pretty poor if they didn’t, one thing I make sure I do is keep the people involved updated on how things are going, I don’t give any false hope, I will tell them if it is unlikely that anything will come of the report.
Fri 23/01/04 at 18:27
Icarus wrote:
> "After 30 years in the police force, and having worked your way
> up the ranks, it's guaranteed that most of them will either be
> corrupt or at the very least twisted the law at least once for their
> own benefits."
>

They're not my views by the way, so don't go holding a grudge.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.