GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone know anything about NTL cable modems?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/01/04 at 22:29
Regular
Hi, i've been having numerous trouble's this evening attempting to get my NTL cable modem to communicate with my computer. It's using ethernet, whcih has worked fine for the past few weeks, but today it just went pearshaped.

Firstly upon plugging the cable in the back, the "Enet" light didn't come on, and i've tried switching the power off etc to it but it still failed to light up, Eventually I had to apply some pressure and push the cable down a bit till it lit up, only to come off again. I'm on the internet now only because i've had to continously apply pressure down.

I have a feeling the jack at the back of the modem is dying, I'm just wondering if it's possible to get NTL to send out a new modem or something. Has anyone done this before?
Tue 03/02/04 at 01:02
Regular
Er no
Mon 02/02/04 at 12:47
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
if i were u i would use the USB connection instead -
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:58
Regular
Hurrah!

It's taped down, in such a strange configuration its scary.

I've gotta do this for the next 4 days aswell, which is a bit annoying, especially as I switch between 2 operating systems to play games or do normal work.
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:40
Regular
Yeh, Don't Go through the cable with the nail and take your time to make it neat and you won't even know it's there.

Colin
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:29
Regular
Arg!

Now the worst thing has happened, the flimsy bit on one of the cable ends has broken off! Damnit!

Now to connect to the internet I have to keep wiggling the cable round till it's stable, and say if like, a fly landed on the cable the internet would immediatly shut off. Any slight movement and bang, its gone.

So in an act of emergency i've just gone and brought: -

4 port broadband router
1 2m cat5 ethernet cable
1 15m cat5 ethernet cable
1 Network card (for the computer downstairs)

Thus meaning the internet can be shared without having to repeadetly swap cables.

But I have to wait until tuesday now :@

Any tips on this "Taping it down" lark?
Thu 15/01/04 at 13:45
Regular
Everyday is a school day, i shoudl have known that as thats what the parents have got and i fitted it DOH!

Colin
Wed 14/01/04 at 23:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Icarus are you sure you don't have ISDN or ADSL and not cable? that
> seems more likely with that type of socket?

ADSL wouldnt fit into a socket from a Eternet card. You need a modem or a router to be in the equation. ADSL uses RJ11 to connect to the modem/router and then USB or RJ45 depending on the modem or the router.
Wed 14/01/04 at 20:10
Regular
I would agree that it is more than likely the cable and not the sockets on either end, Do you have the option to use USB on you modem? if so then you could use the USB from the modem downstairs into the downstairs pc the use the Rj45 cable to network the 2 pc's, Get yourself a network cable crimper and some rj45 jacks and re-crimp them, this way you could use ICS and not have to plug and unplug the RJ45 cable from the modem thus stopping it becoming faulty...

Icarus are you sure you don't have ISDN or ADSL and not cable? that seems more likely with that type of socket?

Hope this lot helps, it is more than likley what NTL will tell you.

Colin
Wed 14/01/04 at 19:01
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Icarus wrote:
> So I'm guessing you have no wall ethernet socket?

Correct. NTL is supplied by coaxial through a copper connection to a fibre connection at the street terminal. RJ lead goes from the Modem to the Lan/Ethernet port on your PC.

Anyway, enough of that, back to the subject...

Is it a silver modem? NTL120? If so, Ive had problems with mine on and off, mainly due to it not liking having any of the cables removed whilst it's on. If a powerdown/reboot doesn't work, try a new ethernet cable.

Do you have TV supplied buy NTL too? As if it's not the cable, take the modem and attach it to the TV terminal (they use exactly the same cable/ip). If still no luck, check you LAN drivers. I had some issues with mine after updating them (nForce2 3.13 unified drivers).

If still no luck, just call NTL (150 if from an NTL phone or 0800 052 2000 from any other landline) They'll replace the modem within 7 days and with a bit of pressure, you can get a refund for the absence of service whilst your modem is dead.

I personally think it's the cable.
Wed 14/01/04 at 15:56
Regular
"Digging!"
As I said earlier, it will be the cable not the modem. I think I need to post a pic to help. http://spa.net.port5.com/JPG/rj45.jpg will show you what I mean.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.