GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone know anything about NTL cable modems?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/01/04 at 22:29
Regular
Hi, i've been having numerous trouble's this evening attempting to get my NTL cable modem to communicate with my computer. It's using ethernet, whcih has worked fine for the past few weeks, but today it just went pearshaped.

Firstly upon plugging the cable in the back, the "Enet" light didn't come on, and i've tried switching the power off etc to it but it still failed to light up, Eventually I had to apply some pressure and push the cable down a bit till it lit up, only to come off again. I'm on the internet now only because i've had to continously apply pressure down.

I have a feeling the jack at the back of the modem is dying, I'm just wondering if it's possible to get NTL to send out a new modem or something. Has anyone done this before?
Tue 13/01/04 at 22:29
Regular
Hi, i've been having numerous trouble's this evening attempting to get my NTL cable modem to communicate with my computer. It's using ethernet, whcih has worked fine for the past few weeks, but today it just went pearshaped.

Firstly upon plugging the cable in the back, the "Enet" light didn't come on, and i've tried switching the power off etc to it but it still failed to light up, Eventually I had to apply some pressure and push the cable down a bit till it lit up, only to come off again. I'm on the internet now only because i've had to continously apply pressure down.

I have a feeling the jack at the back of the modem is dying, I'm just wondering if it's possible to get NTL to send out a new modem or something. Has anyone done this before?
Tue 13/01/04 at 22:35
If the jack is faulty, get an ethernet card for your PC instead. That way you don't need an external modem to go online.
Tue 13/01/04 at 22:48
Regular
"Digging!"
I would have thought it was the cable rather than the modem. The bit that holds ethernet cables in on the wire tends to get a bit flimsy on cheap cables after a while, and thus you need to apply constant presure that is usally applied by the piece of plasic that has gone flimsy. I would just use some tape to hold it in so you dont have to site there holding it.
Tue 13/01/04 at 22:48
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
E-mail NTL's customer support or phone them up and let them know the problem, they'll be able to help you more that people on here.
Wed 14/01/04 at 10:12
Regular
Icarus wrote:
> If the jack is faulty, get an ethernet card for your PC instead. That
> way you don't need an external modem to go online.

How does that work then :P

The cable comes from the back of the modem to the back of my PC.
Wed 14/01/04 at 10:12
Regular
Anyway thanks, I'll probably ring NTL customer support later, they're hopeless with the whole email thing.
Wed 14/01/04 at 10:14
gamezfreak wrote:

> How does that work then :P
>
> The cable comes from the back of the modem to the back of my PC.

Nope, I have the cable running from the back of my PC straight to the jack.
Wed 14/01/04 at 10:15
I think it'sjust the equivalent of an internal modem.
Wed 14/01/04 at 10:21
Regular
Icarus wrote:
> Nope, I have the cable running from the back of my PC straight to the
> jack.

Hmmmm.

So getting an ethernet card would be a better idea then using the LAN jack at the back of my computer?
Wed 14/01/04 at 10:24
Oh, that's what I'm talking about. I thought you didn't have one installed... but if your mobo already has on-board ethernet, then you can just use that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.