GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microfilter for Broadband help please... *ASAP*"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/12/03 at 21:34
I've recently ordered Broadband and will have my connection enabled on Monday. I ordered an external ADSL Modem/Router 4 Ethernet Port/USB with two microfilters.
My problem is the microfilters. I need one on every live phone connection in the house right? So one downstairs and one up stairs. The problem comes when the phone upstairs is located in my parents room and the PC that will be getting broadband is in my room. Currently there is an extension lead that runs into my room that has a phone and a 56K modem connected.
Would I need two microfilters? One in my parents room with the phone and extension connected and then one on the end of the extension (which is in my room) with a phone connected? That means I'll need one more microfilter (three in total incl. downstairs).
Im going to order an extra one if so. In the meantime I'll disconnect the phone in my parents room and just put the microfilter on the end of the extension lead (located in my room) with the phone connected, just to check whether the connection is working, would this work?

A lot of questions there I know!, but your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.
Mon 29/12/03 at 02:53
Regular
"relocated"
Drazen wrote:
> Got it. Do I need a microfilter downstairs too, according to the
> guide and insatllation info I got it says all sockets need a
> microfilter on otherwise there will be some interference?...

I think the secret is one, and probably ONLY one, microfilter for each socket in the house. Or one microfilter and a router, but that's probably overkill for a shared net connection.
Mon 29/12/03 at 02:55
Regular
"relocated"
Actually what I just said is rubbish: you'll need a microfilter for each socket in the house, whether you have a phone or modem or whatever plugged into it. I blame the beer.
Mon 29/12/03 at 09:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Drazen wrote:
> OK, cheers Adrian. Do SR sell these RJ11 cables? Where could I get
> one from at a reasonable price?
> I then connect this cable to my modem and run it all the way into my
> parents room and connect it to the microfilter on the main socket.
> Got it. Do I need a microfilter downstairs too, according to the
> guide and insatllation info I got it says all sockets need a
> microfilter on otherwise there will be some interference?...
>
> Should be allright, just need a cable now.

I doubt SR sell them. Basically its http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/ (space) product.asp?pr=RJ11&pm=2524

You can buy different lengths, with 15 metres being just over £10.

With microfilters you need to have one on every socket that has a phone, sky digi box, house alarm etc. Anything which can use the phone line has to be microfiltered. If something is not microfiltered, for example you have a Sky box and you forget it and dont filter it, then when it dials in to cast a vote or whatever you will lose sync on the ADSL and therefore be disconnected until the phone line is free again.
Mon 29/12/03 at 10:34
Regular
Basicly what you need is a straight, unfiltered line from the outside line to the dsl modem. So outside line to filter. Downstairs phones come out of the telephone side of the filter. Upstairs comes off the data side of the filter. Upstairs - filter, parents telephone comes off telephone side of filter. Extention to computer room comes off data side. Filter. Telephone & modem come off telephone side, dsl modem data side.

I'm sure that is what I have. Will look later.

the borg
Mon 29/12/03 at 22:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
theborg wrote:
> Upstairs - filter, parents telephone comes
> off telephone side of filter. Extention to computer room comes off
> data side. Filter. Telephone & modem come off telephone side, dsl
> modem data side.

If I think I know what your trying to say then that could work, actually it probably will work. When my friend had 2 filters on his line he was using the phone side of the connection in both cases. But as you have said if you use the data connection on the first filter for the extension cable then its unfiltered and so another mircofilter could be fitted. But for the trouble you might as well get a long RJ11 cable and save the trouble of getting an extra microfilter.
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:10
Regular
true,

but I have enough cables running around my house. I recently had to go wireless because of this.

the borg
Mon 29/12/03 at 23:17
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
theborg wrote:
> true,
>
> but I have enough cables running around my house. I recently had to
> go wireless because of this.

Cables are annoying. Cant wait till DVD players, consoles etc are all wireless.
Wed 31/12/03 at 01:16
I ordered a modem lead after, it'll stretch from the socket in my parents room around to the router in my room. I end up with the microfilter on the main outlet, an extension lead for my phone off the one socket and the modem lead off the other socket. Should work, just have to wait for my lead to turn up before I can check!

One other thing, in the Guide to setting up the connection for Broadband with XP, the guide from SR tells me to setup a dial-up connection that dials any old number just so it dials something to make a connection (using my sr ID and password), however, when I do this it tries to dial using my 56k modem and not the attached modem/router thingy! Should I uninstall my old modem? When setting it up it doesn't ask what modem to use, it just selects the 56k one for me and I cant change it, just configure it, which does nothing. Thanks for the help guys...
Wed 31/12/03 at 12:17
Regular
Drazen wrote:
> One other thing, in the Guide to setting up the connection for
> Broadband with XP, the guide from SR tells me to setup a dial-up
> connection that dials any old number just so it dials something to
> make a connection (using my sr ID and password), however, when I do
> this it tries to dial using my 56k modem and not the attached
> modem/router thingy! Should I uninstall my old modem? When setting
> it up it doesn't ask what modem to use, it just selects the 56k one
> for me and I cant change it, just configure it, which does nothing.
> Thanks for the help guys...

You could possibly be in the same situation as me. My broadband connection should have been available from 29/12/3 but it seems entanet (used by freeola) are on their Xmas hols this week so aren't around to finish things off! My internet connection is behaving just like yours. Does your router have the ready and wan lights flashing continuously ? As far as I can find out when the router connects to the ISP (when freeola/entanet/bt finsh) the modem will no longer try to dial and you will 'connect' immediately.

Not what I call "customer service"!
Wed 31/12/03 at 20:04
GWD wrote:
> You could possibly be in the same situation as me. My broadband
> connection should have been available from 29/12/3 but it seems
> entanet (used by freeola) are on their Xmas hols this week so aren't
> around to finish things off!

Yes, the 29th was my connection date too, but my Direct Debit payments might not be in place due to the chrsitmas post etc.!

> My internet connection is behaving just like yours. Does your router have the ready and wan lights flashing continuously?

Yep. However, I dont have it connected as the RJ11 wire ain't long enough. I've ordered one though, should be here soon.

> As far as I can find out when the router connects to the ISP (when freeola/entanet/bt finsh) the modem will no longer try to dial and you will 'connect' immediately.

Cheers, it dials my old modem though and not the router/modem... I'll see once its all connected etc.
Post in here if you could when you get your connection so I know when its ready. Cheers GWD. Happy new year! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.